Go Bottom Go Bottom

Will a Yanmar 180D Pull a 1 Bottom Plow in an Untilled Pasture

View my Photos
KelchKP
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-02          164579

I am looking at a used Yanmar 180D with 705hrs at an asking price of $3500. I would like to use the tractor to pull a 1 bottom plow for small pasture renovation (several acres) and for turning my 50'x100' garden. My soil type is probably best described as sandy loam. Would someone please advise if this tractor would be suitable and if this is a reasonable asking price. The tractor is in good working order, no major rust; however, the tires are severely cracked from dry rot, but do not have much wear thus I suspect the indicated hours are correct. There are no oil leaks except the right front axle seal is leaking slightly. The steering is also quite "tight".

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-02          164581

I would think it would. I have 33Hp 4x4 and it easily pulled a 2-bottom in solid clay. Loam would be like a beach!

I would price tires before you jump on this one.And price shop on the machine too. I saw ones on the Web much lower with mowers and implements too.

"Acreage" and a 18HP subCUT may not be what you should be considering. For about half the money you could/should consider a Fordson 9N/2N/8N that will have about 28HP, bigger tires and be up to the challenge. They're easier to work on--and much cheaper to maintain and repair--than any diesel. Yes you forego 4x4, but 60 years ago that wasn't a big deal. I had a 1947 2N that I used for a few years before I got the 2002 New Holland I have now. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-08-03          164585

I'm guessing yes (I don't plow) because of the 4WD and especially the locking rear diff. Might depend on the tread type: ag (deep lugs) or turf.

Cracking can be inconsequential or not, and new rubber is costly, so you might get a farm tire guy to check them.

About the steering, with no power, it does take a bit of effort, but (assuming no front-end damage) it shouldn't feel tight. Steering boxes do fail if water gets in them. It's easy to get a new one, but a bit of work to get at them.

If it matters to you, the 180 is a proper export model, not grey-market. Price is ballpark if condition good. The hour reading is useful for maintenance, not for total accumulation. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-03          164608

On your pasture, are you planning on bottom plowing all of it with this rig? If so it will be slow work. You probably are talking say a 14 inch wide plow which means for each round trip you have only plowed 28 inches. It will take about 90 rounds to cover an acre in width.

Depending on what your pasture needs bottom plowing it may not be the best option for it and if many acres a very slow project also.

If it just needs the ground being loosen a subsoiler should be a better option. But still would be a slow job but possibly faster than the bottom plow. That will depend on how deep you are with each. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-08-04          164622

Just as a comparison my Father's first tractor in the late fourtys sometime was a "B" Farmall it had about 15 HP. He pulled a two fourteens moldboard plow with it. I don't know how fast he pulled it tho. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2009-08-09          164800

I would only recommend a single bottom plow. Power will not be a problem. The major problem would be lack of traction due to the light weight of the tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login