Go Bottom Go Bottom

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-05          163815

This posting belongs in the Yanmar forum because my Yanmar is too big for next-to-the-house mowing. And my in-close tractor has had it. It's a 1972. That's not a model, that's its year. Since then I've lost touch with this marketplace.

Any thoughts on choosing a 10-15HP gas-engine mower? Don't need cup holder, bagger, attachments. Need manoeverability, but shouldn't be a problem with any of them.

The big stores sell them for $1000 and change. Some different brands look identical except for the label. Some have, to my astonishment, a one-cyl engine.

Then again, every lawn-equipment shop sells its brand. I'm sure they're better, but I question if they're worth 3 to 5 times as much. And you don't in fact always get what you pay for. Any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-05          163817

A grand eh? Around here you don't get a lot for that. Maybe a Tractor Supply one.

The other day I saw I think Cub Cadet that had near zero-turn ability but was a rider. It had a steering wheel and casters. A young kid was cutting his lawn with it and could make a 180-turn easily.

Have you considered buying used? There a lot of deals in our area across the river---shoot Murf may even pick it for you on one of his junkets to the USA, eh? (I may be able to also for that matter--or at least get it the border [I have no passport]) Many lawn cutting operations--small and large are liquidating. Some homeowners losing their homes are also selling really cheap. Some are just trading up. Check out Craigslist Detroit Metro or Ann Arbor, Michigan. I buy and sell a lot on Craigslist. Last thing I sold was a welder which was sold to a guy in Mexico. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-07-06          163830

Auer;
Reason to buy major brand used over new big box brands.
About twenty years ago my Father bought a new Wal Mart rider. First yesr went pretty smooth, second year everything went wrong, he goes back to Wally World, parts, service, aint no such thing, he sold it for junk.
Just last week my Deere 345 died in it's tracks while mowing, I called the dealership, spoke with the mower tech, he knew from my description what was wrong. In less than an hour he was here, about 15 miles, with the correct part in hand, he installed it, I was mowing again.
My point to be made is that having a 10-20 year old major brand, green, orange, blue, they will have parts and service till the cows come home. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-06          163844

We were mowing our yard and MIL's with a CUT and 72 inch RFM. Bought a 52 inch ZTR to do trim with and in a mowing went to cutting all lawns (3 we now do) with it as it was faster than the CUT. That mower was about $4400 4 years back if memory is correct.
Following with what EW suggested (many of the box stores labels are built by MTD regardless of the label on them from Troy Built on, check their web site) I would check used and used commercial.

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-07-06          163845

Just another case in point for major brand compared to big box stuff
About ten years ago I decided to buy a gasoline powerd high pressure washer. TSC, Menards had what I was told was identical to a John Deere. Deere was 1000.+-/ TSC, Menards were 5-600.+-. Ok which to buy?
I discoverd that most every brand of all power washers are built in Peosta, Iowa, so I gave them a call and asked to speak to an engenieer.
Kinda went as follows, Me-is Deere worth the extra cash?
Engenieer- yes.
Me- why?
Engenieer- Higher quality pump, better engine, etc. We build to the specs the buyer requests, they want cheap, we build it, they want good, we build that too. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-07-06          163847

I did forget to say that I bhought the
Deere, starts on the first or second pull, no problems so far. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-06          163854

IMHO, if there was ever a case in point for the old saying "You get what you pay for." or (Caveat Emptor) "let the buyer beware" it's lawn tractors.

As the engineer Frank spoke to put it, 'you want cheap, we'll build it' seems to be very prevalent these days.

All the big box stores are lined up to buy 'brand name' products that are really inferior stuff re-labeled as a 'premium' brand.

I've always said to anyone who would listen, a used top-drawer product or commercial piece will always be a better option than disposable 'new' junk.

Best of luck. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-07-06          163855

Did you see over the weekend where I think it is with American Airlines but may be wrong they have gone from throwing away dull bits and resharping them and saving something over a million dollars US per year? Supports what Murf has said over and over.

There is two reasons buying low end makes sense: probably will not be stolen, second you are able to keep telling about your NEW what ever. :)

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-06          163856

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 163855
There is two reasons buying low end makes sense: probably will not be stolen, second you are able to keep telling about your NEW what ever. :)

There's a third one Kenny.

I used to buy those really good $30 tape measures, I always have one in a few places, including the truck. Invariably, they would 'grow legs' and disappear, usually in short order.

A few years back a buddy tipped me off to buying the cheapest one around, I found some that were neon green and cheap as dirt, bought a half dozen of them. I'm pretty sure I still have them all too, people go out of their way to return them to me. LOL

It's only the good stuff that disappears. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-07-07          163865

Thanks for the useful feedback.

I said they were "$1000 and change." Actually, the cheapest was $1149, but they'll soon be on clearance, and I assume prices are lower in the US.

Used? Yes: many on Craig's, Kijiji, Pennysaver, etc. They may not come up in a search for "tractors" but do by name, such as Husqvarna or Deere.

Speaking of which, anybody know if the little Deeres sold at the box stores are the same quality as those at Deere dealers? And if the latter will service them?

Finally, not that I now think I'll get one, but does anybody have a handle on a one-cylinder gas engine? ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-07          163866

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 163865
Speaking of which, anybody know if the little Deeres sold at the box stores are the same quality as those at Deere dealers? And if the latter will service them?

I'm told the JD's they sell at the big box stores are a cheaper version that is only available through those outlets, they have a special series of model numbers that don't exist at the dealer level. I know of several lawn & garden and turf user boards where they are usually referred to as "Lawn Deeres" and usually with little regard to their quality.

I don't know who makes them, but I'm told they are of similar quality and reputation as all the other 'premium branded' MTD products they carry.

I'm also told (from someone who owns one) that JD dealers do not provide warranty service on 'Lawn Deeres' either.

Best of luck. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-07-07          163867

Auerbach, it's too bad you don't live around here. There's a guy down the road a ways who has spent most of his life repairing small JD lawn tractors. He's retired now and in his spare time he buys, repairs, and resells old ones to make a few bucks. By all accounts he does a great job and those old JD lawn tractors are tanks.

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-07-07          163872

From what I've learned of the dime store Deere moweres, they are kind of a high dollar throw away mower.
It really surprises me that Deere who is so fussy about what their logo appears on would allow the reputation of their real lawn equipment be dragged down selling junk with their name on it.
Anything for a buck I guess. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
Murf

2009-07-07          163875

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 163872
It really surprises me that Deere who is so fussy about what their logo appears on would allow the reputation of their real lawn equipment be dragged down selling junk with their name on it.Anything for a buck I guess.

Frank, I suspect they thought about it and basically decided that anybody who's opinion they valued, the true farmers and commercial buyers, would know the difference between a 'true' Deere and a big box store marketing machine mower.

Look at it this way, the more money they make from the Yuppies in the their shiny half tons buying 3 2x4's at a time from Home Cheapo and buying a "Lawn Deere" while they're there the less money they need to make off the rest of us! LOL

Best of luck. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-07-29          164475

When the first zero-turns (steering levers, casters) came out, we invitees tried them at the dealer with amazement. Seems like just last year, but time passes faster as we age. Now there's one in the Sears flyer, and a Cub Cadet at the local Home Depot, both $3k & change. Wonder if these are decent quality. ....

Advice on Lawn Tractors

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-07-30          164476

Auer;
I haven't given either brand an honest look.
If Sears "Crapsman" mowers have gone the way of their power tools I'd be more than a bit suspect of their quality. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login