Go Bottom Go Bottom

Value of Yamar 1989 187

View my Photos
Adale1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-29          163710

Just have the opportunity to purchase an old Yamar - 1989 - 187 (D?) with a belly mower, two wheel drive. The tractor looks to be in good shape with the exception of some minor dry rot on the tires. I have no idea of what to offer for this tractor and am looking for some advice on what's its value.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Value of Yamar 1989 187

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-29          163711

Machine prices vary quite a bit by region. Usually it's best to poke around on some sites like machinefinder dot com and see what dealers are selling them for. Then knock 20-30% off those prices for dealer markup.

Just in case you don't know, 2WD tractors aren't in high demand. They are not very good for loader use if you ever want to install one (or even find one to fit that machine). And a tractor without a loader is about half a tractor :)

But if all you need to do is mow it may be all you need. ....

Value of Yamar 1989 187

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-06-29          163712

Mine was a little bigger (and a bit older), but I got $4500 for a 24hp/2wd YM240 and 60" belly mower several years back.

About the dryrot - are the tires tube type, or tubeless?

//greg// ....

Value of Yamar 1989 187

View my Photos
Adale1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-06-29          163715

Thanks to both. I found out that the asking price is $4500, which sounds pretty much OK, assuming the inspection will go OK & we won't find any major problems. The smallamount of dry rot is on the walls of the tires; don't know at this time if they're tubed or tubless.

Thanks.

AD ....

Value of Yamar 1989 187

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-06-29          163716

Ok. If they turn out to be tube type, you can extend the life with new tubes (especially if it's sidewall dryrot). If they're tubeless, invest in a couple gallons of Slime. I used that stuff on a pair of cart tires that wouldn't hold air because of dry rot between the treads. Had to fill them about once a week. Put Slime in them last year, haven't had to add air since. unfortunately, the Slime doesn't creep, so it's not much good for sidewalls. But there's no law against putting new tubes in old tube type tires either.

//greg// ....

Value of Yamar 1989 187

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-06-30          163726

It would be a YM187. The "D" suffix designates 4-wheel drive.

Unlike a car the year is irrelevant; it's a matter of condition and seller motivation. Tires are costly so you could pay a trusted farm-tire guy to predict whether they're about to go or should outlast the tractor.

This is a rather popular "export" (not a grey-market) model, so you can likely get factory manuals in English for it.

About the mower, if it's a Yanmar one, feel under to see if a spindle has two separate swivel blades each about 6" long. If so, they will wear out and replacements are not available but you can get new single-blade spindles. Spindles don't last forever, so it's not that big a deal. You'll replace both belts every few years, and they're not at your local auto store, so you might want to order replacements in advance. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login