Go Bottom Go Bottom

YM 1500 transmission fluid change

View my Photos
funkster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-14          159437

I want to change my tranny fluid on my ym1500. Are there any quirks or tricks to be aware of. I don't believe there is a filter, just a screen that I plan to clean as well. I have a leaking PTO seal and an axle seal. Do these need to be changed while the fluid is drained? Is it difficult or necessary to bleed out air when done?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-14          159439

Funkster,

I'm not familiar with your particular tractor, but there are a lot of things I can help you with.

First off....You'll want to replace those seals while you have the oil drained. You'll need to drain the oil in order to accomplish those repairs. It's best to have the parts on hand prior to draining the fluid.

I'm a bit suspicious about the hydraulic filter. I'm all but certain your tractor should have one......I'm just not exactly sure where it's located. It's entirely possible that a previous owner was not able to find a replacement filter, so he simply removed it from the system. You'll need to look into this matter further.

Draining the oil is not as easy as it is on a car, or pickup. There are several drain points involved. You'll need a manual for your tractor in order to find all of the drain plugs. Without a manual, it is all but impossible to know for sure if you got all of the old oil out.

In general.......

You should have a drain plug on the bottom of the main hydraulic reservoir. There should be a drain plug near the bottom of each front bevel gear housing......if you have 4 wheel drive. If you have a mid-PTO kit, there should be a drain plug there, as well. Your tractor may not have all of these. You really should have a manual before attempting this project.

If you have a loader on your tractor, make sure you fully retract all of the hydraulic cylinders prior to changing the hyd. oil. You'll want to get as much old oil out of your loader as you can, so that you don't contaminate your clean oil when operating the loader. Doing this will also prevent your loader from overfilling the hyd. oil reservoir, when retracting the cylinders fully the first time afterward.

There is no need to worry about any trapped air in the system. It will purge any trapped air on its own. However, you will lose the prime on your hydraulic pumps when you drain the hyd. fluid. DO NOT run up the engine to full rpms until after your hydraulic pumps have primed. You could destroy the pumps by running them dry. Just leave the tractor at idle as you work the loader controls, until they begin to function properly. Run the loader through its paces several times. This will help purge any air trapped in the system.

Joel

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-14          159443

Get a manual for it. Murray Publishing has them in English for $40. You can get it, plus any seals you need, plus instructions, from Hoye Tractor.

If there's an exernal filter it would look like the screw-on oil filter but larger and on the other side, but I don't think so. No bleeding required. Use hydraulic-transmission fluid, not hydraulic oil. You can spray the old stuff under your car. ....

View my Photos
funkster

2009-01-15          159469

Thanks for all the input. Everything is pretty much along the lines of what I figured, but the tips and reassurance from others is useful. I do have a manual but I've found that for these older gray market tractors, they are not always that complete. I guess I just need to order some parts and dig in, kind of like I did with my engine rebuild, and it all worked out. I'll look into the filter a little more, but I'm pretty sure this model only has a screen. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2009-01-15          159473

Pretty sure you're right about it having a suction screen only. I recall the YM1500 as being a common sump 2wd tractor with no mid-PTO. So the tranny, differential, and hydraulics should all drain through the plug at the lowest point - probably on the rear pumpkin. And air shouldn't be a problem, they're supposed to be self-priming. But if aftermarket hydraulics have been added, this is not always true. Incorrect plumbing can cause pump cavitation if/when air is trapped on the pressure side. When first starting up with a new sump full of UTF, it's important to confirm that you're at least getting fluid TO the pump. But a quick glance at your previous posts doesn't suggest that you have a loader, so an OE system should prime ok on its own.

Obviously you don't want UTF behind seals when you replace them. But having an exploded parts diagram would help you decide whether or not to proceed at this particular time. If they can be pulled and replaced from the outside, then by all means go for it. But if seal replacement involves pulling an axle and/or a PTO shaft, I think I'd wipe up the fluid till I had mechanical reason to actually start disassembling the rear diff. One thing though, seals can leak in both directions. Leaving the tractor out in the open, working in/around high water, power-washing, et cetera - can let water IN through bad seals too. So if the stuff you drain out looks milky, that may already have been happening.

Pretty sure also, that the brakes are dry drums. But it wouldn't hurt to pull the covers and check for signs of oil inside. A large O-ring between the brake housing and the differential case is about all that keeps the UTF out.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
funkster

2009-01-15          159485

Actually I do have a bucket. Good point on the seals. Fluid doesn't appear milky on the top side where you check it and fill it but I know that doesn't really tell the whole story. I agree, a little saw dust on the floor beats the heck out of digging too deep into the differential and you know that once you open it up, you might as well replace all the worn parts. Hoye tractor is great for getting parts, but some parts for these little tractors are spendy. ....

View my Photos
jes1942

2009-01-23          159774

Per manual:Drain while warm. Remove drain plug on bottom of tranny. Remove the rubber hose on hydraulic suction line near rear axle. Remove the banjo style fitting from end and remove the 3 bolt plate near fitting; gently pry off plate and remove the hydraulic screen. Clean with diesel or carburetor cleaner. Replace screen if there are tears or holes. Refill with 4 gallons of John Deere Type 303 hydraulic fluid or equivalent. Hope this helps, bottom line get all the manuals from www.HoyeTractor.com ....

View my Photos
funkster

2009-01-24          159782

For jes1942, what manual did you pull your info from? I do have the only service manual I could get from hoye, (although a couple years old) it is actually for a ym195 and is pretty close to the ym1500. I didn't see any place in there that it talked about this process, but maybe I missed it. ....

View my Photos
jes1942

2009-01-24          159788

I used the YM1500 Operation Manual from Hoye. They have 3 different manuals for the YM1500:
DIESEL TRACTOR OPERATION MANUAL
YANMAR TRACTOR SERVICE MANUAL
YANMAR TRACTOR PARTS MANUAL
They're expensive, but you need all 3 to understand the tractor. They'll keep you from damaging your tractor through lack of knowledge....I read mine from cover to cover and highlighted the important things I was prone to miss. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-02-15          160343

Greg's right; all yanny brakes are dry, drum. Serviced mine after 3000 hrs over three decades. Drums and seals like new, just replaced the return springs. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login