Go Bottom Go Bottom

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-22          158067

Do deer like horse hay bales? Or what can I feed them?

(Using the Yanmar site because that's where the smart people are. Besides, I'd dump the food out of my Yanmar bucket.)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-11-22          158074

They are mighty tasty if you feed them some lead :)

Sorry, could not resist! Mine eat the berries and everything else that grows around here. Some cracked corn may work for you. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-11-22          158075

If we get many more deer I can sell the lawnmower. They will eat anything a cow will eat plus the garden vegies, flowers from under the front window. We sure don't need to feed them here to keep them around, we could almost call them domesticated, they just stand and look at you instead of running off anymore. In the last three days there are two dead ones along the road by our mailbox that cars have hit. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-11-22          158076

They for sure love young cedar seedlings. We planted 100 a couple of years ago and every one has been eaten. Now they stand and stare at us through the kitchen window until we toss out a few apples.

If the idea is to attract them a salt lick should do the job.

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
cutter

2008-11-22          158078

A couple of years ago we had one huge buck wandering around. Wife walked out the front door to go to work and it was standing on its hind legs eating the berries off the mountain ash. She screamed. Thought it was a prowler :) ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
jdkid4890

2008-11-23          158087

the deer around here can be found in grass feilds and alf. feilds so if you have some land a would plant some in alf. to keep them over there. there is a lot of people that make deer food out of auto feeders as well. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-23          158088

I'm not a hunter but my buddies are. They tell me Michigan has a law against "baiting" deer as there is a widespread problem with Chronic Wasting Disease. Foot plots are still allowed but are frowned upon by the Feds. And since no one wants to get busted (big fine I hear), fellow hunters are very cautious and guarded about exactly what they are doing to attract deer even on their own property. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-23          158089

Edit: The law applies to deer and elk in the lower penninsula. The fine is $60-$600 and up to 90 days in jail. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-23          158090

They do try to eat everything, especially when the grass is snowed under, which is why I wondered if something like hay would help keep busy and out of the garden.

My deer salt lick they can take or leave. The deer corn I put out is low-quantity for them but a feast for the squirrels. That's why I wanted to know if they like hay.

Having a long-gun in Canada is almost like owning an atom bomb in the US.

Does anyone have info on "Wasting Disease"? My guess is that deer keep moving, and if you feed them in a limited space, disease can more easily spread. So I could spread the bales out. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-23          158092

In my first post I forgot about the new evergreens we set out a few years ago.
We set aprox. a humderd, by the next spring there were maybe four or five that weren't destroyed so we replaced the dead ones, next spring maybe eight or ten survived the deer, we just gave up.
I'm not much of a hunter so I have very limited knowledge of the Iowa game laws, but I think it is illegal to salt deer.
We have about seven or eight seasons, everything from teenage bow, to regular shotgun with slugs, and still the deer population is getting far out of control, the hunters all want the trophy buck but in reality they need to shoot more does. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-23          158095

Auer: I had to read and reread your last post. At first I thought you were a...well...little slow. Then it dawned on me. I was the slow one. Yer a real card ain't cha? Wasting (food) disease hahaha

Is that like a "see food diet"? ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-23          158096

Farnky: It may be illegal to salt deer in Iowa? What 'bout a bit of black pepper and garlic? Yum. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-11-23          158098

We just set out a salt lick to attract the deer so we can watch 'em, we don't shoot 'em. But I wouldn't hesitate if there was a need. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-23          158099

EW; There just isn't enough salt, pepper, and or garlic in the state of Iowa to get me to enjoy eating deer meat. Several hunters who have got deer on our farm in the past have brought roasts, steaks, etc. for us. We followed their cooking instructons to the letter, but after about an hour in the oven the stink was so bad we threw it out and couldn't even stand to eat something else till the stink got out of the house. The only wild game that I can say I truly enjoy eating is the common cottontail rabbit after all day in the oven with as many onions as can be cramed into the roaster along with the rabbit. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
jdkid4890

2008-11-23          158100

auerbach,
if you are not going to hunt the deer then i have not a clue as to you it would be illegal to put out food for the deer. even if it was to watch them and keep them out of the garden. i know that in some US states that it is illegal to "bate" deer. but apple trees, evergreens, and grass's atracet deer. but i would still check with your local laws befor doing anything. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-11-23          158103

Frank I'm with you on venison. We used to raise and sell goats for meat and the sell the milk. To this day I hate the smell cooked or not of goats and deer and especially lamb. And I can't drink milk without gagging. About the ONLY way I can eat venison is in what's called summer sausage which is mized with other meats like pork and beef and lots of pepper.

Now rabbit which we used to sell too, I like. But that has been probably 35 years since I had that. Last I recall it tasted "like chicken" or tender frog legs.

When I was working is Louisiana I met up with some locals who ate red robins! They told me they would go out early in the morning to low-growing trees that the robins nested in. They'd reach up with fingers spread and grab 5-6 at a time! Didn't ask 'em how many it took to make a meal, but they apparently loved 'em. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
Murf

2008-11-24          158108

Be real careful feeding deer, besides the fact that the MNR take a dim view of it, it's against the law, you can also kill deer pretty easily be feeding them in the winter.

With the coming of the cold weather a deers digestive system changes with the shift in it's diet. There have been many documented cases of deer dying with a belly full of hay because their system couldn't digest it, so they starved to death with a full stomach!!

If you have to feed them, try to make it stuff that is similar to what they might find this time of year, corn, cull carrots or potatoes, maybe a LITTLE grain.

Best of luck. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-24          158109

This time of year when the unpicked corn fields are getting fewer and farther between it isn't at all unusual to see hunters chase a "Herd" of deer out of a cornfield. I don't know what other grains Murf was talking about but they are basicly on a self feeder of corn from about mid August till the last corn is picked. After corn harvest they will graze the picked fields looking for droped ears just like any other livestock. In our own fields of picked corn I've counted as many as fourty in a herd, nothing really unusual. The white tail deer and the wild turkey are fairly recent additions to our wild creatures here in eastern Iowa. As recent as the early seventys it was something to talk about if you saw a deer or a turkey, now nearly as many turkeys are hit by cars as are deer. Frank. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-24          158113

In my initial post I should have explained WHY I wondered if deer like hay. I apologize.

Following Murf's take on this, I contacted the Ministry of Natural Resources that he referred to, and learned:

Deer have enough food this winter. If artificially fed, their winter metabolism increases and then they could easily starve. So now I know. (As for that wasting disease, it has not been found here, but the closer they congregate to feed, the easier diseases spread.) ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
Chief

2008-11-24          158115

If you want to put out a treat the deere will love, try some Mare & Foal 16% protien horse feed . You can buy it at your local Coop.

As a rule it is not good to feed the deer for long periods of time as the will become dependent upon it and lose their drive to browse on wild forbs and shoots, nuts, acorns, and such. I put out the dark brown salt mineral blocks for them. It helps their antler development. Keep in mind, in many places it is illegal to shoot deer over feed like this. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-24          158120

That's what I was looking for thanks. Now that you mention it, in the group of six that comes around, there's no hint of any antler. Guess they're female or young. (I'm actually within city limits so couldn't shoot anything even if I had a firearm acquisition certificate, a registered firearm kept in an approved storage device, a hunting licence, and a certificate of passing an approved hunting course. But my wife, who does the gardening, just might strangle them.) ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-11-25          158123

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 158120
That's what I was looking for thanks. Now that you mention it, in the group of six that comes around, there's no hint of any antler. Guess they're female or young. (I'm actually within city limits so couldn't shoot anything even if I had a firearm acquisition certificate, a registered firearm kept in an approved storage device, a hunting licence, and a certificate of passing an approved hunting course. But my wife, who does the gardening, just might strangle them.)

Can you have a cap pistol or bow with arrows with rubber tips?

As soon as the anti gun people get all the criminals to turn in their guns and bombs, then I might respect them. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
Murf

2008-11-25          158124

I have some serious deer browsing issues in my gardens too, here at home as well as up in cottage country.

So far my best luck has been with either (or both) a bit of electric fence, and a motion-sensitive sprinkler.

For a residential area the sprinkler works the best, it works like a security light, when it detects motion it turns on the water to the sprinkler head, the noise, motion and spraying water seems to be more than the deer are willing to tolerate for a free meal and they move on.

Best of luck. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-25          158128

KT, we can be arrested if someone sees your toy handgun that could conceivably be mistaken for a real one.

Murf, good idea (including for 2-legged intruders) when above freezing, but it's in the winter that deer become persistent. Deer repellant doesn't work well in the winter, either. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
Murf

2008-11-25          158129

I don't have winter issues with deer, so it's not a big problem for me, but would think that it would take relatively little to frighten them off this time of year.

Try a trick a neighbour here uses. A motion activated light in the garden, but he tapped into the lights wiring and so the light also powers an animated Christmas figurine, a dancing Santa with music and flashing lights.

Scares the deer right out of the yard. He claims it also good for crime prevention, the would-be crooks will be laughing too hard to break in!!

Best of luck. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-11-25          158132

Auerbach; I never realized you had such strict gun laws up there. A lady from town who works at a good sized sporting goods store said the other day that they had more applications for handgun permits in the week following the election that they had had since January first, and that they were sold out of most ammunition in a few days. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-25          158133

Oh ya. We need the aquisition certificate just to buy ammo. That's because there's no Canadian equivalent of your NRA (National Riflemans Association), so you might want to join it. The NRA recommended its huge membership to vote for McCain; there was post-election fear that Obama would "Canadianize" your gun laws. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
cutter

2008-11-25          158140

Canada has pretty much gone the way of Australia and England relative to gun control has it not? And for what? ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
Murf

2008-11-26          158150

Somehow it seems the politicians forgot, the crooks with guns, don't really care if they own the gun legally or not.

The rationale at the time was that guns were being stolen in B&E's and then used to commit crimes, so if there aren't guns to steal there won't be gun crime either. Obviously it didn't work, and just like with prohibition, the law is instead making a bunch of smugglers very rich.

Best of luck. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-11-26          158152

I've heard (don't know if it's true) that every home in Switzerland is required to have a gun, and the violent crime rate is extremely low. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
Murf

2008-11-26          158154

You are correct on both counts, since Switzerland has a very small relative population, and almost no 'standing army' every male citizen between the age of 18 and 65 is a de facto member of the militia and is therefore required to maintain an assault rifle and ammunition in their home in case of emergency.

Probably one of the reasons nobody has ever wanted to try a 'blitzkrieg' style assault on them. Between the terrain and knowing that EVERY house has at least one trained marksman with a .223 rifle and ammo at hand would be a nightmare for anybody.

It must deter crime just as well.

Best of luck. ....

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
cutter

2008-11-26          158175

Take a look at the video below. ....

Link:   This pretty much sums it all up :)

Feeding Deer

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-02          159012

Here in Illinois it's illegal to feed the deer, other than food plots.(alfalfa, clover, etc.) CWD is spread by deer in close contact like what happens when they all go to the same feed spot. But also, and just as important, in general you do the deer a disservice by feeding them. At least that's what our DNR says around here. If they get used to the food supply, they don't look for others. Then if you stop, they don't know where to go. Also, more and more deer will find your food, and you will have to put out more and more food to keep up. From everything I've read, and as cruel as it sounds, your best off leaving nature to itself. Survival of the fittest. The land will support the amount of deer that is right. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login