Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deep-Discharge Batteries

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-27          157512

Do deep-discharge (or golf-cart or marine) batteries have any DOWNSIDE in applications where full discharges are not anticipated?

In other words, suppose you could install in, say, a tractor, a regular OR a deep-discharge battery (same specs, cost, size.) I understand the pros of the deep-discharge. What I don't know is, are there any cons?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Deep-Discharge Batteries

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-27          157514

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 157512
In other words, suppose you could install in, say, a tractor, a regular OR a deep-discharge battery (same specs, cost, size.)

Provided that the above is true, there is no real downside.

The key is though, that both are the "same" specs.

Typically, a deep-cycle battery has lower, about 20+%, cranking amp capacity than a similar (group #, etc.) 'starting' battery does.

The one point you do have to be cognizant of though is the deep cycle battery when deeply discharged will probably a) not have enough power to start the tractor, and b) will want a LOT more charge than your tiny alternator will put out.

The end result may well be a damaged charging system and battery.

Is there a particular reason you are looking at putting a deep cycle battery in a tractor? Inquiring minds......

Best of luck. ....

Deep-Discharge Batteries

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-27          157515

You probably can't buy deep-cycle batteries that have the same specs as a regular battery, at least not in the same size class.

Regular batteries are designed to provide large amounts of current over a short period of time (Cold cranking amps, or CCA) with a relatively small Reserve Capacity (RC). These are for starting engines.

A deep cycle battery of the same size might have half the CCA and twice the RC compared to a regular battery. These are useful for golf carts, trolling motors, backup batteries, etc.

That said, if you find a deep cycle battery that has enough CCA for your tractor it should work fine.

Deep-Discharge Batteries

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-27          157518

Thanks. I guess it's not a good idea because they're designed with different charging demands and for different applications.

Murf, my battery's 3 years old, my back's a lot older than that, and the tractor hood is off at the moment. So I browsed at a battery store, and the only one on display with the dimensions and terminal-locations I need was a "marine" one, so I wondered. ....

Deep-Discharge Batteries

View my Photos
Murf

2008-10-28          157530

At 3 years old the battery needs replacing??

Don't buy that brand again. LOL

I the battery in my machine at home is the original it came from the factory with, so that would make it now about 10 years old, it shows no sign of slowing down in the slightest.

If it's not too late, be sure to buy one designed for heavy equipment or trucks or something of that nature, I find they stand up to the vibration, etc., a lot better than the 'big box store' stuff does.

Best of luck. ....

Deep-Discharge Batteries

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-28          157535

Sorry for being unclear. It will need replacing in a few years, so I was thinking of doing it now while the hood's off. (It's not easy getting the hood off-and-on, and harder getting the battery out-and-in with the hood on.) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login