Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-20          157391

As both I and my tractor are aging, some day it will crap out beyond my fixing and I'll have to take it to the dealer. I have a loading winch on my trailer, but how to handle the FEL? I could raise it a bit with a jack, put a 2-wheel dolly under it, and let it roll on that while I winch it up the ramp. Is there a better way?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-20          157392

Auerbach,

In most cases its far better to load a dead tractor without the loader installed. The loader can be removed even if the tractor is dead, but it's not real easy to do. You'll need help.

If you wish to load the tractor with the loader, it's probably going to be a whole lot easier to load it while backing the tractor onto the trailer, allowing the bucket to drag as you back it on.

Once it arrives at the dealer, they'll have enough help and equipment to get your tractor off the trailer.

Joel ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
Murf

2008-10-20          157394

About the easiest way we've found for doing it is to carefully jack up the FEL using a Hi-Lift jack. If you hold the valve in the 'up' position while you jack it up, then release the valve and lower the jack the hydraulics lock it in place.

If you have a second machine (or anything else with hydraulics like a log-splitter) around you can make up a couple of hoses to provide a temporary source of fluid power.

Best of luck. ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-20          157395

That technique for keeping the loader up was new to me, and should do the trick. (Hope I won't have to use it, but it's good to be prepared.) ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-20          157397

Murf, if the starter and hyd system still work and the motor will turn over, could you not use the starter to lift the FEL enough for loading? That means dead does not mean locked. Also, can you pull a gear trans tractor to run the hyd pump to lift the FEL backwards? I know you can pull a tractor forward to lift the 3 pth and would "assume" the pump would also work if pulled in reverse. Would agree another source of hyd power might be best source. But would you not have to be careful where you plumbed into the system or do you lower the FEL to release the pressure to remove the aux power supply? kt ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-20          157399

Clever idea, kt, but even after my engine is running, it takes about 5" at above-idle speed to get enough pump output to raise the bucket, 10" if cold. So I doubt that spinning off the battery, even if "decompressed," would be fast enough for the pump. And it would be hard to tow with a dragging bucket. ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-20          157400

Would it be hard to drag backwards if the bucket was in the float position? ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-20          157404

Right, it wouldn't be hard. But for normal floating you'd need to dump the bucket a bit (to raise the ends of the arms off the ground). With no pressure it would be more curled, so the arms would leave ruts or at least marks.

Also, the idea is that I'd pull it fast enough to spin the motor to spin the pump to raise the bucket. I've never towed it, but I'm not sure that would work with a powershift transmission. ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-10-21          157410

I recently sold a Ford 2000 with a loader. Pump was shot. I used a 2" ratchet strap like a come-a-long to lift the bucket. I connected it to the front lip of the bucket and ran it back to the radiator guard. Worked great.

Kenny you CAN pull a tractor in reverse PROVIDING you have it in Reverse; and you CAN pull a tractor forward PROVIDING it's in a (preferably) high gear. Otherwise the pump and motor will spin the opposite way it's designed--which could result in the pump sucking oil that's not there leading to damge to the pump and possibly pressure-type oil filters imploding which will suck even more air when the o-ring is compromised.

Short of a winch, or another vehicle to push the tractor on a trailer, I have pulled many a log, beam, tractor, and cars onto a trailer. Simply back the trailer up to the item leaving the towing vehicle in a jackknifed position. This allows a chain or rope to be run through the centerline of the trailer and to another vehicle. The other vehicle simply pulls the item onto the trailer. ....

Loading a Dead Tractor

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-21          157411

Ask the pros as they can tell you why what you have already done is impossible or as has been said, will those who say it can not be done get out of the way of those getting it done. OK my rant..I know I have raised 3 pth both ways on more than one tractor, with starter most often just normal starting the engine not on purpose. Very much realize the amount of fluid is way more on FEL and worn pumps and such really could make it impossible.

EW, point taken on having tractor in proper gear for direction you are pulling it, but I think most here know which direction they are going and are honest about it unlike many running for office. :) kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login