Go Bottom Go Bottom

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-12          157201

Is there such a thing as an after-market valve-stem guard? I see them on construction equipment but not on dealer shelves, and I sometimes wreck a front valve stem when I use my bucket to push brush.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-12          157202

Assuming your Yanmar has tube-type tires, just use a short piece of 1/2" galvanized water pipe. Cut it about half an inch shorter than the valve stem itself. Slip it over the valve stem, tack weld it in place. If you're using tubeless valve stems, just use 3/4" pipe instead.

//greg// ....

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
harvey

2008-10-12          157204

Make sure you DEFLATE the tires prior to welding on rim. Better yet DEMOUNT the tires. ....

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-10-12          157207

I have them on my skid steer. While they are very useful they have their drawbacks. Mine are about 2" across and about 1/2" shy of protecting the stems. Debris gets caught in them from the side and can still poke out the stem. And they hold mud. Being on a skid steer they see a lot more abuse than any tractor but nonetheless they do get dented and bent to the point a tire chuck won't fit in the opening.

I'm due for new rims and will install my own type that will consist of a length of 2" water pipe threaded on one end welded to the rim. It will be offset to the stem to allow the tire chuck easy access. A standard female pipe cap/plug will protect the stem and keep it clean. ....

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-13          157222

I bet some wheel-maker will borrow Earthwork's idea. ....

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-10-13          157228

This is an option I saw.

I like the idea of the pipe nipple with a cap screwed onto it. Then all you need is a wrench to take it off to check the air. ....

Link:   short metal valve stems

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-10-13          157232

You guys aren't just humoring me are ya's :)

Rarely does Kenny get on board with my ideas LOL

The idea was to use Never-Seize (sp) so that you wouldn't really need any tools to remove the cap. But to make it even easier, I could drill an oversized hole in the center of the cap, drop in a shortened Grade-8 9/16" bolt and weld it in from inside the cap leaving a nice bolt head to grasp. ....

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-10-13          157233

I'd think the never-seize would work. To help with grip you could dip the round cap in plasti-dip. ....

Valve Stem Guards

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-14          157246

Turns out it was an ordinary puncture this time. (With the tube, the only place the air could escape was the valve-stem hole, suggesting that's where the problem was.) But thanks for the ideas. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login