Go Bottom Go Bottom

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
jhibberts
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-10-12          157196

My 2210 differential is locked and will not release. Anyone have a suggestion? It's tearing up the yard bad...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-12          157200

Lawns are easy to fix; it's also straining your diff. To use properly, don't touch the pedal except this way: when you are going very slowly and fairly straight and see one rear slipping, heel it down once briefly and remove foot. That locks it for a short distance until it automatically unlocks.

Assuming it's drive-train lockup, try lifting the pedal while going a few feet forward and back, gradually increasing the distance and including a turn one way and the other. Or, if you have the equipment, jack the rears a few inches off the ground and try the pedal and back-and-forth trick. Good luck; next step is to get the wrenches and hope it's just a linkage problem. ....

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-12          157205

My New Holland manual says to reduce shock loads don't engage the diff lock at speeds higher than 5 MPH or in turns. I prefer to use it only after I'm stuck or lost all traction as it is nearly impossible to detect if one rear wheel is slipping especially having 4 wheel drive.

Others here have found it's simply linkages that need to be lubed. ....

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
jhibberts

2008-10-12          157206

Thanks, I'll try that. I did the back and fourth thing before when it locked up the last time and solved the problem I'll get out the jack and try that method. I think my mistake was I was standing up to look behind at my blade and stepped on it. Not looking forward to the wrenches. If fact I don't even know where to start. ....

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-10-12          157208

Depending on how hard you stepped on it...could you have bent the linkage? Does the pedal stay down, or is it at the right attitude as far as you can determine or recall?

If the pedal stays down it might be just jammed or stuck due to rusting for lack of lubrication. If so, simply wrap a length of rope or tie-down srap around the pedal and pull up in it--don't force it too much. You might have to do this several times pushing it back down to get it loose--but lube it first before you break something.

I'd do the easy thing first and buy some good penetrating lube like Liquid Wrench or similar (not WD-40 which doesn't penetrate really) and soak the linkage which should be all but exposed. While you're there spray anything that looks like it can (or should :) ) move.

If still no-go, remove the pin(s) one at a time from the pedal linkage and see if you can determine where the hiccup is.

I've had situations where sticks/branches, debris, mud, etc. have gotten in the way of proper operation of levers. In some cases I have pins drop out or even shear off. ....

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
jhibberts

2008-10-12          157209

The pedal seems to work just fine. It stays up, and it will depress. I can see the shaft move when I push it up and down. ....

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-12          157210

Jhibberts,

If the pedal is moving as it should, I'd assume that either a linkage pin, or bolt has fallen out. These things rarely break.

It's in cases like this that a shop manual comes in very handy, as it will help you understand how the parts relate to each other, as well as how they function within the assembly.

Joel ....

2210 differential lock

View my Photos
jhibberts

2008-10-20          157405

Thanks to every one for all the suggestions. I finally got a jack and stands, jacked it up and it came out. I depressed it again to check and it went back in. Spun the wheels a little and backwards it came out as it is suppose to. Again thanks to every one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login