Go Bottom Go Bottom

JUMP-STARTING

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-08          157112

I earlier posted the question of whether jump-starting hurts the voltage regulator. Many helpful comments, but non definitive. Maybe I can narrow the issue to this:

Could jumping the wrong terminals be harmful whereas using the right ones would be safe?

On my machine, facing the end of the solenoid on top of the starter, you see two large copper bolts with nuts holding connectors. The manual calls the inside one the Battery Terminal, the outside one the Motor Terminal. Since those two are conspicuous, and look like what I see farmers shorting with their screwdriver blade, those are what I would jump. There's a third one, the Switch Terminal, which is smaller, different, and above them.

"When all else fails, read the manual." Turns out the Service Manual does have jumping instructions: connect the battery positive to the Switch Terminal. Oh! I made up a cable to do this, and that works too.

So do you think that jumping the WRONG terminals is damaging whereas the right ones are OK?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JUMP-STARTING

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-10-08          157117

Possibly. But most basic VRs are so cheap nowadays it's not really worth pursuing. Just go down to NAPA and buy a universal solid state (electronic) VR

//greg// ....

JUMP-STARTING

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-10-08          157124

Auerbach,

As I understand things, the voltage regulator is usually harmed most by leaving the jumper cables in place too long, while both engines are running. Remove the jumper cables as soon as possible after getting the engine fired up.

And one more thing about jumping a dead battery.........

Always connect your jumper cables TO THE DEAD BATTERY FIRST....then attach them to the good battery. Connecting a set of jumper cables to a dead battery will cause a spark.....which could injure or kill you.

Dead batteries tend to have a buildup of hydrogen gas inside them. A small spark near the dead battery can (as has happened thousands of times) cause it to blow up in your face, causing blindness, or other serious injury. It's a good idea to wear (at a minimum) eye protection while working with dead auto batteries.

If you must attach a jumper cable to a dead battery, always make sure the last connection is made to the good battery. Never make the last of the four connections to the dead battery.

Joel ....

JUMP-STARTING

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-10-08          157127

Sorry, Joel, I wasn't clear. I was not referencing jumping from another vehicle but briefly shorting the tractor's starter when its battery was OK but there was some problem in the circuit that wouldn't allow the key to work. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login