Go Bottom Go Bottom

Removing Mower Spindle

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-04          155797

How do I get the sheave off? It's a YQM-60 (60", 3-spindle, midmount). The lock-nut (and lock washer, at the top, around the zerk) are off. The blade-holder (which the mower manual for some reason calls a "Chopper Drive Housing") was held to the hood by three nuts-and-bolts; they're off.

The sheave is above the hood; the blade holder is below, and I need to separate them. Tried holding the blades and turning (unscrewing) the sheave. Tried prying the sheave up and off. Didn't want to use more force without knowing what I was doing. Anybody know?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Removing Mower Spindle

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-05          155822

Ok, first off the terms you are using make it hard for me to understand what you're asking.

Do you mean the pulley that the belt runs on?

If so you need a 3 or 4 jaw puller. Be aware, if it has been together for long they may well be seized on there. You may need to use some heat and lots of penetrating oil to break it free.

Best of luck. ....

Removing Mower Spindle

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-08-05          155826

I had the same mower years ago, I believe your problem is a rusted Woodruff key. Drip penetrating oil around all four edges of the key. When it's had time to work on the rust, carefully tap the pulley downward. I know that's counter-intuitive, but it will help loosen the hold the rust has on the shaft. If you can get that key out, it should all be downhill from there. Once removed, I was then able to pry the pulley upwards with a piece of scrap oak or hickory - using the top of the mower deck for leverage.

//greg// ....

Removing Mower Spindle

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-05          155827

Thanks guys; the problem was the three decades of togetherness plus not knowing if it was a pressure-fit or a screw-on. When I learned it was the former, I held a socket with a vice-grips over top of the spindle that poked through the sheave, that is, the belt pulley. The socket was smaller than the the spindle shoulder to not deform the edges and to protect the zerk. Whacked the socket with a sledge until the spindle was driven down through the sheave hole and allowed the parts to be removed from the mower deck (which remained on the tractor).

No rust anywhere, including the key, but nothing wanted to let go of anything. Now I've got it apart except for the roller bearing, which I'll probably have to pry off. Good thing I don't work in a bearing shop. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login