Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic fluid change no lift and air in oil

View my Photos
danwhitworth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-06-30          154983

My 2500 Yanmar became slow picking up a 4.5' disc. Decided to clean filter screen. Oil came out very dark and filled with metal particles, filter was not as clogged as some I have seen but was pretty bad. Drained all fluid, removed and cleaned screen. Replaced same volume fluid as drained (+-) I closed all cylinders on FEL but don't think I lowered 3ph. Now 3ph nor FEL will raise and oil on dipstick shows air bubbles. Am I doomed?? Any help will appreciated. Thanks. Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-06-30          154987

Dan,

This is a common problem when draining all of the hydraulic fluid from a tractor.

Maybe I didn't catch it......but did you also check the sump screen? A plugged sump screen will prevent the system from priming.

You haven't done anything to harm your tractor. You've simply lost the prime in the hydraulic pump system.

You might find that your loader will begin working again tomorrow, after sitting overnight.

My Kubota manual warns against attempting to operate the loader, or any other hydraulics, for several minutes after changing the fluids. It's OK to run the engine at low RPMs for several minutes while the hydraulic system is attempting to prime itself, but Kubota warns against running the engine at high RPMs until the system has re-primed. When it finally primes, you'll hear it.

Start the engine and let it run at idle speed.....maybe up to about 15 minutes. The hyd. system should eventually prime itself.

IF YOU HAVE HYDROSTATIC DRIVE....do not attempt to move the tractor until the loader and 3-point hitch are once again operational.

Joel

View my Photos
danwhitworth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-07-01          154991

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 154987
Dan,This is a common problem when draining all of the hydraulic fluid from a tractor.Maybe I didn't catch it......but did you also check the sump screen?A plugged sump screen will prevent the system from priming.You haven't done anything to harm your tractor.You've simply lost the prime in the hydraulic pump system.You might find that your loader will begin working again tomorrow, after sitting overnight.My Kubota manual warns against attempting to operate the loader, or any other hydraulics, for several minutes after changing the fluids.It's OK to run the engine at low RPMs for several minutes while the hydraulic system is attempting to prime itself, but Kubota warns against running the engine at high RPMs until the system has re-primed.When it finally primes, you'll hear it.Start the engine and let it run at idle speed.....maybe up to about 15 minutes. The hyd. system should eventually prime itself.IF YOU HAVE HYDROSTATIC DRIVE....do not attempt to move the tractor until the loader and 3-point hitch are once again operational.Joel
Thanks for your repy. I started engine and tried to use loader right away, tomarrow afternoon (Tues) I will let tractor idle and try again. Glad to hear I haven't done any damage, this is my first hydraulic change involving a fel. Thanks again. Dan ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-07-01          154992

Unless I missed something (possible) there should be no reason there is air in the oil simply by changing the oil. After all, all you did was dump the oil supply while it was NOT running, right? If yes, then all the lines should be filled, with the slight exception of possibly the suction line if it dribbled back from the filter or pump.

From my experience, running a pump out of oil briefly (without damaging it) takes a millisecond to start working again once it was refilled.

However, finding metal particles in the sump AND having a slowly operating machine prior means, to me, a wiped out pump. And the fact that it is aerating the oil means that the pump can't make pressure and the fluid is squirting past the side plates of the pump which causes cavitation. And the more it cavitates the more it wipes out the side plates. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login