Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar diesel head removal

View my Photos
gbwysocki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-20          153819

Can anyone tell me how to remove the engine head from a John Deere 870 with a Yanmar diesel engine 3TN84-RJK. I have removed the valve cover and taken out the three bolts there and removed another 7 from the other side. I have also taken out the 2 lower water pump bolts from the block. I can't see anything else holding it on, yet it will not budge. Thanks, George

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-20          153823

You don't have to use all three tricks, and don't deform anything.

Tap into the gasket area at one end a thin end of a pry bar, whack the corners with a wood or brass mallet, attach a chain hoist to pull one end up. The first millimeter is the hardest.

View my Photos
gbwysocki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-05-20          153824

So there sould not be any other bolts to take out? I will try all of them if I need too. Thanks for the help.
George ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-05-20          153825

George,

Those things are stuck on there pretty good. Even with all of the bolts removed, it will be very difficult to get it break loose from the old head gasket.

If you have an air chisel, place a fairly thick block of steel between the head and your chisel point. The rapid vibrations from the air chisel will help break the head loose from the block.

If you have an overhead hoist, or even a pulley, you can apply a small amount of pull on the head while you operate the chisel.

Just DO NOT apply the air chisel directly to the head.

Joel ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-05-20          153828

Don't know that much detail, whether all the holders are off.

I haven't done this, but you could grind a flat air chisel to almost a knife edge, and apply it to the gasket gap.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login