Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 1500D rear hub removal

View my Photos
Hillcrest
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-26          140037

I have a Yanmar 1500D (orange/red) and the left rear axle hub bearing towards the outside is GONE! I have tried removing the hub with heat, hammers, PB spray, WD-40, severe cussing and a special axle hub puller and it is STUCK! (And I did remove the bolt and plate holding it on). I'm afraid if I bang it too much the whole axle will come out of the transmission. Any ideas how in the world to get it off? Should I just remove all the hydraulics from the top of the transmission and remove the entire axle and replace it? If so, where to get one? Where do I get that bearing? Whew...such problems....and help is greatly appreciated before I bring it to the landfill!!!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-26          140038

Do you have air tools? I'm not familiar with that setup but have had good luck with blunt bits in air chisels vibrating the crap out of stuff that seemed welded together to break them apart. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-27          140046

I don't have the parts diagram for my Yanmar anymore. But I'm going go speculate that it uses a one piece bearing and race, and that heat from the tortured bearing has expanded the race within the hub housing. If it's been that was for a while, rust is probably complicating the issue.

Tapping will free it faster than a straight pull, because you can't really SEE if your pull is straight. I think it would be less aggravation in the long run to pull the axle, then tap the hub and bearing apart once you can actually see what's going on inside there.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2007-03-20          140560

I had a hub like that once. I finally used the torch & cut a slot in it. I still had to use a puller to remove it. I reinstalled it after replacing the bearing & seal, put some sand on the shaft, & welded it back together. It worked fine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login