Go Bottom Go Bottom

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-19          121319

If it were not for bad luck I wouldnt have any at all. Anyway, tried to start my yanmar 1500D this weekend, normally starts easy, but no luck this time. Engine turns over, Bleed all the fuel lines just in case. checked fuel. Engine turns over and puffs of smoke come from stack, but wont start. Think I need me a yanmar wizard.. help Wife going to skin me alive if I dont get that arena worked up so she can work her horses.. lol

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-19          121330

I don't own a Yanmar, but I assume it has glow plugs. Did you let them heat properly before turning over the engine? My CUT Kubota would not start either in real cold (here that is 40 F.) without the proper heating of glow plugs. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-19          121334

Yep,, held it on for about 12-15 sec just like I always do, even took air cleaner off to make sure it was glowing,, ????? thanks ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-19          121343

PK, white smoke during cranking or when it first starts is indicative of cold. Either your glow plugs are not making enough heat, or the battery is low and not cranking fast enough, or both.

Check the glow plugs with a meter, if you have one and know how. Also try putting a charger on the battery to be sure it's right up. A magnetic block heater and / or boost from another vehicle will undoubtedly help too.

Best of luck. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-19          121354

Thanks Murf: Meter no problem, know how to use them, been an electronic Tech/engineer most of my life. (and still get the leads mixed up once in awhile, lol) Anyway, battery fully charged, terminals clean. As far as the glow plug(s) to the best I can figure out is that it only has one, at least that is all that is shown in my parts diag. it is connected to a little cup that hold diesel full and works when you move key over to TS. Remove air filter and saw glow plug, glowing a nice pretty red and was igniting the fuel. Shouldnt have been that cold here,, was in the middle 60's,, but then im not sure what is cold to that tractor (yanmar 1500D). Starting to think I should stick with installing computers in Nuke plants, not as complicated.. lol. again,, thanks for your help, ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-19          121360

Hmmm, this is getting interesting now.

Did it seem like the engine was cranking as fast as normal / usual ?

Like I said previously, white smoke during cranking and when it first starts is indicative of an incomplete burn from temps too cold to support a complete burn of the fuel.

Maybe your starter is the problem, check how much current it is drawing.

Best of luck. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-19          121362

Murf, If there is water in the fuel, what color smoke would it make? I realize PK said he bleed lines, just wondering.
kt ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-19          121363

ok Murf, will try to check it tonight when I get home, but it seemed to be cranking as strong and as fast as it ever has. Was also reading in the manuals I have that oil viscosity can cause them to start hard, dont quite understand that one, but thought i would as ya about it. im running 50W in it right now, havent change it back to 10w-40 yet,,, run 50 in the summer because it gets way over 95F here in the summer. What do ya think. thanks ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-19          121367

KT, good idea, but i check the fuel and filter both for water, found none present. also has new fuel filter (well about 6 hours on this one) and oil filter. Thanks for your help...

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-19          121368

50 weight? That seems too thick to me even for a summer in Phoenix. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-19          121370

If this is a true Asian spec. machine they are designed to run hot, most don't even have a thermostat or water pump.

Still, straight 50W oil will definitely slow it down, I would think a good quality 10W-40 would be a better choice. We run Shell Rotella in some pretty hot conditions too, no problem.

You say it was in the 60's, but if you were trying to start it in the morning the engine may have gotten a LOT colder than that overnight.

Kenneth, water doesn't make smoke, in fact it doesn't even go through the injector unless you're running a lot of additive. The surface tension of the water will actually cause it to build up behind the injector nozzle and it can starve the engine.

Best of luck. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-19          121372

Have to agree with ya on the 50w, I thought it was a little heavy too, but both of my book indicated to use it if ambiant temp was over 95F, but think im going to drain it this week and replace it with 30W or 10w-40w... ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-19          121374

PK,
Other than the higher weight oil is thicker and would put some extra load on turning over engine. The summer temp gets 95 plus here and mine Kubota's don't call for that think of engine oil even then.
My last question, you took your breather off to look at the glow plug. Your breather filter is fine, correct? As to how old a fuel filter is, don't fully depend on that. Contimated fuel and a new filter is bad.
lol

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-19          121377

yep,, filter is fairly new, and I also blew it out just to make sure. gets pretty dusty here so I replace it quite ofter and blow it out several times between replacements. Agree it could still be bad fuel, but same tank I was running a couple weeks ago with no problem, (but that doesnt mean much either. If the fuel did collect water and got into my injectors could it plug them, to the point that I might have to remove and clean them. ????
(yep, think I should stick with horses and computers, but cant find anyone around here that even works on yanmar tractors, let alone the gray ones, didnt even know what they ment by gray tractors when I bought this one). But maybe with all your help, i will get by this two.
and hopefully one of these days one of ya might have a computer problem I can help with, Thanks agian ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2005-12-25          121686

Are you using a diesel oil? You can run 15w-40 year around. I've never heard of running a 50 weight oil in an engine ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
lsheaffer

2005-12-25          121687

You say you bled the fuel lines. Did you open the bleed screws to bleed it? If it has been bled & has no obstructions in the intake or exhaust , it should start easily at 50 degrees.If it has always been a hard starter, it may be low in compression & need new rings. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
pkcowboy

2005-12-27          121794

Hope you all had a great Christmas.
Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for thier help and suggestions on getting my tractor started. It is now running again, arena done and wife is happy.
Not exactly sure what fixed it, but I drained and replaced the fuel, changed the fuel filter again, re-bled the fuel lines all the way to the injectors, double checked that all fittings were tight and replaced the oil with 15W-40w Rotella. Thanks again for all your help and support. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and will have a great New Year. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-27          121797

pkcowboy,
I sometimes am sure such as your tractor are like people. They just like the attention.

Glad all is well. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
Rvennerbeck

2006-02-24          125091

Try spraying a little WD40 in the air intake while cranking. It's a lot safer than starting fluid and these little diesels usually crank right up on the light oil of WD40. ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
deano854

2007-04-14          141314

question was it smoking out the blow by tube when it was running if it was has the yellow temp light been coming on if yes spray a little starting fluid and see if it will start if it does you probley need rings when the yellow light comes on its because its over heating and took the temper out of the rings and now has low compression ....

Yanmar 1500D wont start

View my Photos
auerbach

2007-09-25          146051

Thick oil won't impede starting, only cranking. If your battery spins it, it's fine. If it has trouble, use the decompression lever and/or a jumper battery.

All a diesel wants is fuel, air, and compression. Assuming you've been servicing your air and fuel filters, starting with the easiest/likeliest, there's air (maybe water) in the fuel forward of the filter area, or the injectors are plugged or misadjusted, or the pump is bad.

A Service Manual will have a troubleshooting charts. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login