Questions about larger chipper/shreders: Wood Chippers 3PH  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Questions about larger chipper/shreders: Wood Chippers 3PH -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Wood Chippers 3PH Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 08-12-2001, 18:57 Post: 30904
mike

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Questions about larger chipper/shreders

I currently own a 5 hp MTD chipper/shreder and recently bought a kubota 7200 hst. We recently moved from a 6000 sq ft city lot to a 1 acre lot just out of town. My problem right now is being overloaded with 'green waste'. Most of what I trim (shrubery, bovenvia, dropped branches) is well within the chipping capacity of the little chipper, but I am finding it takes many, MANY hours of prep time to trim the material so it will fit in the hopper. The prep time wasn't so bad with the amount of material produced on the smaller lot when I bought the MTD, but here I find I am taking all my trimming to the city processing lot (where they grind it up and make compost) instead of processing it myself. My question for those of you who might know is whether a larger chipper/shreder is able to take things like shrubery that has forks and branches without having to trim every single side branch? Most of what I deal with is well within the 1/2 to 1 inch capacity of my shredder, but I just can't get the material to the blades. I have found that using the front loader of the tractor to 'compact' the material in my truck lets me take fewer trips, but still, I would rather chip the stuff myself if it is at all feasible. I estimate I have taken 8-10 trips to the green waste processor so far this season with my S10 full to the top of the cab (probably 4 yards of material each trip). At 7-10 dollars a trip, taking it to the dump is certainly cheaper than buying something but the dump is always VERY busy on saturday. I figure I spend an hour loading the truck plus another 2 or 3 taking it to the dump, waiting in line, emptying it, and returning per load. Any suggestions on how to improve my time efficiency would be appreciated.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

08-13-2001, 06:25 Post: 30915
Paul Fox

I have a manual feed PATU DC-40 chipper, 3PH mount and PTO drive. It's rated to take up to a 4" stick. I've chipped the residue from a lot of tree work where whole trees were felled and had to be disposed of. I keep a Boy Scout hatchet handy to lop off the occasional branch, but by-and-large, I can push hard enough to flex the brush enough to go through the feed aperture. Brushy stuff is harder to feed than straight sticks, and evergreens are harder than deciduous, but with time it'll take everything I feed it, as long as it'll fit through the aperture. It cost me about $2600 new, but I had 2 acres to clear, so it was worth it to me. You might be able to find a used one a bit more reasonably.

08-13-2001, 07:25 Post: 30918
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I looked at a used chipper/shredder once. It had both a chipper and a hammer-mill. I don't know how heavy material a hammer-mill will take, but the chute was much larger than the chipper chute. Fair sized brush would go through the chute. For myself, I make short work of side limbs with a chain saw, but I cut up brush to make it easier to load into a trailer. A free township dump is three miles down the highway, and I figure I can make a bunch of trips to the dump for the price of a used and fairly beat-up chipper. It's probably faster too. I believe that a 4" chipper will take 4" material, but it won't break any speed records. However, a chipper would be good for turning brush into compost, which my wife in interested in doing. It's still a big whack of money for a decent chipper--especially if it has hydraulic feed.

08-16-2001, 15:25 Post: 31013
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I have another word for four inch material. Firewood.

01-09-2002, 15:50 Post: 34379
Donnie
2002-01-09 00:00:00

Mike, 1st ? What is the largest diameter of the branches?
2nd, About how many hours do you spend prepairing the greenery for shredding? & 3rd, Are you planning to use the machinery year-round?

It might be a good idea to maybe invest in something a little larger than the MTD chipper. The MTD 5 hp chipper was basically designed for small yard wastes like leaves and small
branches. + the hopper, and the blades are not adiquite for branch diameters 3" or larger. Now I use a VERMEER V-2800 AUTOLOADER comercial chipper that brand new would cost
$15,000.00 , but got a really great deal on E-BAY. The final cost that I got the machine for was $2500. All it needed was a new starter, and 3 new glow plugs, and for a unit that has well over 6527hrs. on it, she runs like new and is very quiet for a 3cycl diesel. Something like that definately will work for you, plus when the neighbors find out about what you have, I can promise you that they would want you to chew their stuff up too! In a way thats good because I make my own mulch & sell it.....
If you choose not to go with that option, I really recommend the SUPER TOMAHAWK by TROY BUILT, it will chew any thing you throw at it.... From twigs to 4.5" logs. But why would you want to shred 4.5" logs when they make good fire logs. The SUPER T H is a towable unit and any size tractor can pull it. Check out Troy Built's website and try Vermeer's too!

Link:   YARD WASTE DISPOSAL INC. of ANNAP, MD. 21401 

01-10-2002, 20:35 Post: 34414
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Mike;
I have a 8hp chipper from Noma. It will handle up to 3" easily, but it does take time.
I have used the larger machines like the Vermeer with the autofeeder and it is night and day. Then again the larger logs are good for fire wood.
I would agree with Donnie the Troy built is probably all you need. Then again a small PTO chipper maybe the same money. Enclosed is the link to Nothern's page.

Link:   Click Here 

01-14-2002, 11:30 Post: 34558
cordspa

Try Countryhomeproducts.com
I have one of thier 20HP chippers and love it its light easy to operate and powerful, does a great job. The hydraulic feed is what gets expensive. Rick

01-22-2002, 16:42 Post: 34850
David Waite

I might be going against the grain of every self sufficient compact tractor user out there but if you only need it once a year for 3-12 yards of material rent one from a local shop and maybe split the cost with next door. Save the money for the one time white elephant and get something good for the tractor that you really have been looking at but couldn't spend the scratch for it. The problem I see is trying to find a place for all the stuff you add to the tractor, then there is no place to mow or plow or till.

01-23-2002, 07:09 Post: 34862
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I try to think in terms of the easiest and cheapest way of getting the work done. Self-sufficiency is for when there's no other way. I guess that's why I didn't end up with a chipper. The township still burns brush at the landfills, and it's just easier to take whatever is too large to compost quickly and too small for a stove to the dump. I suppose I'd have a different attitude if the dump wouldn't accept brush.

I also figure that I've already a post hole auger, which mostly sets around, so maybe I should avoid more wonderful tools that have an essential purpose once a year. Oh yes, and I ran out of shed space, and two implements are spending the winter tarped. Of course, I will need that auger when I build a bigger shed. Huum, cement mixer might be useful. Dang! This stuff never stops. The used 3 chipper/shredders I looked at were Apache brand, a Western Canadian company that is mostly known for its sprayers. Seemed like pretty good units.

01-23-2002, 08:38 Post: 34868
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I'm with you Tom, one must calculate the cost. I bought free standing Troybuilt 10 hp unit when the price on taking a load to the dump went from $1.75 to $5.00. I figured I had at least 50 loads of material to haul so it made the decision very easy, especially when you figure in the wear and tear on the truck and all the time to load and unload. By the way, ain't it strange that you can buy a chipper with a good quality 10 horse engine for about half the price of a chipper alone that is PTO powered.??.....and the same with generators, I can get a 10 horse generator for 900 bucks and a PTO driven unit with similar output is 2000 bucks by the time you get the shipping tabulated. Must be the difference in mass produced products.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Wood Chippers 3PH Forum

Thread 30904 Filter by Poster:
cordspa 1 | David Waite 1 | Donnie 1 | DRankin 4 | GlennT 1 | mike 2 | Paul Fox 1 | Peters 1 | TomG 4 |

Most Viewed

+ Duerr hp/678 Chipper replacement blades
+ Jinma chipper review
+ Disk vs. Drum vs. Cone Head wood chipper Review
+ Duerr hp/678 Chipper Manual
+ PTO woodchippers (again)
+ New Jinma JM6 Chipper
+ Jinma manual or parts list
+ Used Brush Bandit 150 12
+ Speeco Log Splitter Q
+ PTO chipper for John Deere JD 5303

Most Discussion