Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chicago Electric Plasma cutter

View my Photos
tamanaco
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-17          116566

Habor Freight is selling a 36 amp plamsa cutter. Does anyone have any comments about this unit? Who makes it? Can you get parts or sevice if it breaks? Why is it so less expensive? Good or bad experences?

Thanks,

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-18          116585

I can't comment specifically on the plasma cutter but can comment on Chicago Electric products by Harbor Freight in general. I used to frequent a Harbour Freight store in Lexington KY, the Chicago Electric (by the way it's not made in Chicago - its all Chineese) stuff filled out their low end range of products. For instance I looked at a CE router, it had some the bells and whistles but the controls were crude and the unit had a very poor finish. In the end I went with a mid range product from another store - I also consider myself to be a bit of a minimalist if that's any help. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-18          116587

The beauty of Harbor Freight stuff is you know it came from SOME PLACE ELSE, it is seconds or refurbished.

They are good deals for entry level stuff.

The low price will get it for you up front BUT you have to assume it is a throwaway when broke or quits working.

I have many pieces of HF stuff and use it alot, floor jacks and jack stands. Also have a porta power seldom used but useful now and then. Bought buckets of impact sockets and intend to replace as they wear out or break with quality. Problem is I haven't broke one yet and I use them a lot. In the 3/4 socket sets the breaker bar will bend way B4 an American one. 1 made in USA 3/4 breaker bar cost over half of the whole set. But no broken sockets. I have HF large end wrenches also but never use them in tight spots because of knuckle issues. Only use my best tools when I'm in precarious positions.

Buy it use it. If you need to make a living with it put money to the side to replace it with better, later.

If your life depends on it (safety harnesses or other related or tools) you decide the risk and where to buy. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login