Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractorpoint Site Improvement Survey

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-05          147758

Looking for some candid comments from members on anything that could be improved in terms of how the site works.

-Navigation
-Look and feel (fonts, ....)
-Features

Thanks for your help!

Dennis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jbjpam
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-05          147761

One thing that would be handy is to be able to see
the first message in a thread when clicking the title with the
option to see the last message. See nyroc atv website.

http://www.nyrocatv.com/forum.cgi?viewcat=4

Then you could choose to look at all pages in between.
It's not a big deal but it makes navigating a little cleaner.
Thanks, John ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-05          147762

Thanks!

We have sorta that feature but it is not obvious or widespread.

On the "messages as posted" page it takes you to the last message only all other pages take you to the top.

I can make it so that you have a choice on all lists.

Thanks for the feedback! ....

View my Photos
jbjpam

2007-11-05          147764

I was not aware of that. My bookmark for this site takes me to messages as posted. That way I see what's new without bouncing around within the site. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-11-07          147900

Man I am glad that you guys are so happy with the way things are ;-)

Would you like to be able to load pictures directly up to a thread, so you don't have to use your photo album for that purpose? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-07          147903

My preference would be to not have too many inline pics. They slow down page loading too much.

As for suggestions, it would be very nice to increase the number of pics on albums. Some of us with full albums have to delete old pics to post new ones which causes links to break if any thread references the deleted pics.

Also, the generic forum names "JD Review", "Kubota Review", etc. seem somewhat misleading. Those threads contain discussions and not really equipment reviews. ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2007-11-07          147928

Is there any way we could let each user set the number of posts they want to see in each thread. I for one would like to see MUCH longer threads and less paging back and forth - having a user set utility would let each user determine how they wanted to navigate the site. Thanks Ann ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-07          147931

Dennis, I would like more topics to show as "ACTIVE". Might be good also if it only listed as active if something were posted to in say in the last 2 days. To me seems there would be a time limit on any posting to remain even anywhere. You can have a very serious tractor topic and someone like me can ask a question that is casual but lots of replys bumping the other off.

As to font size, they are fine for me. I think KW is correct on some of the topic titles. I really don't understand the value of those. I do think they sometimes keep a question from being posted as the topic just does not fit. Searching for a thread sometimes is difficult as you need to know the title or someone who posted in it and search it that way. I do like a product review say of the month of such as you have asked a time or two on products I have seen advertised here. Spell check just for me to make EW happy. kt ....

View my Photos
bvance

2007-11-07          147953

Dennis,

You're doing a great job. Case in point? Just asking us what we might want to see different is a very customer responsive focus.

Keep up the great job. I look forward every evening to coming home and seeing what advice I can pick up from all of the very smart folks on this site.

Brian ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-22          148615

Dennis, here's an idea that lots of sites have and TP is missing. It would be nice to be able to easily quote a previous message when responding. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-23          148662

Dennis,

I like having the page of comments displayed along with the reply box. That way if someone has to refer back to posts it is right in front of you and you don't risk losing what you have already typed.

Also, it would be handy if after posting a message the website took you back to the thread you left off with and displayed your new comment. I realize there is currently a link to perform that function but I also notice that it will occasionally open a second browser.

I forgot to mention, the link to return after posting a message does not take you back to the current page each time but rather starts you at page one at times.

After a post edit you need to go go back through the site links to return to the thread (unless I am doing something wrong). Again, it would be handy to be sent right back to your edited posting.

View my Photos
Billy

2007-11-23          148663

I agree with Ken! I think this feature would be an asset to the website. I know it would help me a great deal. Sometimes I get lost and don't know what a particular post was replying to what post.

"Dennis, here's an idea that lots of sites have and TP is missing. It would be nice to be able to easily quote a previous message when responding." ....

View my Photos
bloggins

2007-11-24          148672

I like this website just the way it is. It bothers me to no end, when media websites change their web pages and layout, just because its been so many years since the last change. I get comfortable viewing websites and when formats change drastically it up sets the balance so to speak. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Cheers. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-24          148679

Sometimes I get lost and don't know what a particular post was replying to what post.
Billy
====================
This is why I almost always post like I did here.
Leaves the reader without any doubts as to what I'm replying about

== L B == ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-24          148694

Dennis CTB,

Would it be possible to add a way to paste photos to the classified section?.....or does it already exist?

I never see any pictures of the items being offered for sale......but I would be interested if this isn't too difficult.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-11-24          148696

Joel

There is a way. When you fill out the form there's a box 'Picture / Image Link enter like ( http://mysite.com/myImage.gif)' I've never checked it out but it should work?

Billly ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-24          148701

Billy,

Thank you. I've never posted any item to the classified section, so I didn't know if posting a photo was possible. I should have tried that first.

You're right. It is possible to post a photo. I wonder why so few people take advantage of that option? It's difficult to sell any item without showing a photo of the thing.

Sorry to have bothered you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-29          148836

Dennis, the last thread on stolen Kubota equipment gave me an idea. Maybe you could create a "lost/stolen tractor" clearinghouse sort of feature where people could post information about stolen equipment and others could check before buying. To maximize usefulness it would be good to be able to easily search by brands, location, models, dates, serial numbers, etc. Maybe an input form and a few simple db queries. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-29          148840

If word gets out it might just generate some extra traffic / members too. ;) ....

View my Photos
Justus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-30          148882

Should any of the "Lost or Stolen" equipment be recovered, who would notify you to remove them from the list? If you had a list that contained items that had been recovered and were now (legally) for sale, I would think carrying it on here as stolen could potentially result in legal problems.
That's just my opinion, I could be wrong. Steve ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-30          148888

Justus, that's a good point. It's probably already a problem when relatively anonymous people post messages that say their stuff has been stolen and include serial numbers. If they recover it, and later someone googles the serial number, who is to know that they aren't the ones who received stolen equipment? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-03          148940

Dennis CTB,

I just ran across an instance when it would be really nice to be able to refer back to a previous message, but there is no convenient way of doing that.

Would it be possible to apply a message number to each post made under a topic, so that we can easily refer back to a previous message?

Many thanks for accepting suggestions from your members.

Joel ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-03          148942

The message number is the second line under your name at the left of the message, is that what you are referring to?

Or the thread parentnum?

Dennis

[Updated 12/19/2007 the message number is the upper right band of each message ] ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-03          148945

Dennis CTB,

Thank you. Yes. Why have I never seen that before?

Oh well, this just goes to show that there isn't much that you can do to improve the place. hehehe.

My apologies for bothering you again.

Joel ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-19          149431

I have made some changes to the message display screens to show more information about the posters and hopefully improved the formatting a little bit.

I will work on the "quote" and "in reply to" features next.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-19          149433

Dennis CTB,

The improvements are great. The message board is now much more appealing to the eye, and I like the info you've added.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-19          149434

I agree, it's easier to read now. :)

Except now I really look an old-timer.....

4,800+ posts and been here since 1999? Wow, 8 years? Really?

Keep up the good work Dennis.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-19          149439

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-12-19          149442

Yes, it seems much easier to read now. Good job Dennis! (as usual). ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-19          149446

Very nice job Dennis! Murf, how do you get any work done?? :) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-20          149477

Cutter, it's one of the few perks of self-employment. ;)

I can sit with my wireless laptop and surf, I mean work, while sitting in front of the fireplace or out on the patio, even on the boat.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-12-20          149485

Cutter, ref Murf and work...many fine employees is what he has sort of credited that to before.

Dennis, I like the location part you added.

It would seem for a person to be able to post something as stolen they would have to give some way to identify them quickly to verify it. I do like that idea. Not sure which site it is but an auction site that is suppose to allow you to do a serial number search there to see if they ever sold it. That seems good. Not trying to suggest such should be here. Just what another site does.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-20          149493

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 148615
Dennis, here's an idea that lots of sites have and TP is missing. It would be nice to be able to easily quote a previous message when responding.

Starting to work on this now ;) ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-12-20          149499

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 149493
Starting to work on this now ;)

That's looking good, Dennis, real good :) ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-20          149502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy | view 149499
That's looking good, Dennis, real good :)

How have you been? I noticed you had not posted for a while? Have you been snowed in? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-12-20          149507

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCTB | view 149502
How have you been?I noticed you had not posted for a while?Have you been snowed in?

Been kind of busy here. That and haven't felt good lately. We don't get much snow in this area and I like it that way. Back in 1999 we got 17 inches and that was and probably will remain a record for us. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-28          150841

Recap of improvements and improvement requests:

Completed:
1) Increased Photo Album size (30 registered, 50 Founder/Contributor/Expert)
2) Quote previous message and include link to quoted message
3) Picture link displayed in message thread
4) Social Bookmarks (Digg, Technorati,Stumbleupon....)
5) Improved message display format
6) Added alert feature for New Pix and New Members
7) Added new Boards for Cars, Lawn and Garden Tractors....

To be addressed:
1) First last message option for each message listed in a forum index
2) Be able to upload a picture from your PC and have it associated with a message independent of your photo album or off site storage
3) Improve Forum Names from "Review"
4) Increase number of messages displayed when reading a thread from 10, either give user option to select number displayed or set a bigger number
5) More items listed in the "Active Subjects" quick jump side menu on each page
6) Posting message returns poster to new messsage
7) Improve Classified Photo feature

View my Photos
bialecki

2008-01-28          150850

Nice job with the survey and implementing the findings! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login