Go Bottom Go Bottom

checking air pressure

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-08          90332

How do you check pressure on a filled tire ? valve stem up or down. I'm guessin up so fluid doesn't enter gauge ????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

checking air pressure

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-08          90334

Yup. Up.

But first check that they are not overfilled by poking the valve open with something you can wash the salt off of. You don't want all that salt water in your tire gauge. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-08          90336

Thanks Rankin, That seemed right but wasn't sure. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-08          90343

There are ag-type tire gauges made for fluid filled tires. Using a regular gauge works but the fluid can damage them. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-08          90347

They must of been overfilled, ran them to 12 o'clock push valve and fluid sprayed out. so I pulled the stem out and let it drain till no more fluid came out with rear tires off the ground, then proceeded to fill and ckeck air pressure.I think I'm going to end up going to weights like my old machine.(a lot less mess). ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-08          90348

Just wait till you puncture one of those big suckers...... ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-08          90362

look into foam filled. You'll never have to worry again about your tires. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-09          90403

Foam fill a pair of 13.6 x 28's ?

Wow, I think it would be cheaper to buy a crane.

Best of luck. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-07-09          90405

Are most tractor tires Fluid filled? I have a bx23 with R4s. How can I tell? ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-09          90412

The BX uses tubeless tires and would need a tube installed to keep the rim from rusting. Your dealer would have mentioned it as nothing comes from the factory with anyting but air in it.

Kubota sells an excellent set of reasonably priced wheel weights for your BX. I found them quite useful. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-09          90432

Hummm.....what does a crane cost murf? I never purchased one. On the other hand, a crane isnt going to add weight to his machine & prohibit future tire failure, However the foam will. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-09          90444

I had my fronts on the 790 filled, It is not cheap but you can run over anything without worry. plus it really add's a bunch of weight. Adding weight to the 790 was almost a must, but the 5205 already has plunty of weight. foam filling is great for not having to worry about though.and as Murf said It would cost big to fill the 14.9 x 28's. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-09          90445

Small crane, $199 at Northern Tool, best money I ever spent, will pick up anything I don't feel like, easiest way to change tires short of hiring someone else to do it.

Really handy for moving implements around.

If tires are filled for ballast, foam is a bad choice, it only adds a fraction of what CaCl does.

Best of luck. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-09          90460

Don't know what it costs to fill a tractor tirer but a 12x16.5 skid loader tirer is about $250 to 425 depending on whos doing it and how many you get done at once so go from there. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-09          90467

Murf - I dont know why, but lately you & I have been disputing in the wieght department. Foam filled definitly adds more wieght then calcium chloride & foam wont rot the rim. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-09          90469

I don't know what foam brand you're referring to, but TyrFil brand foam claims to add the same weight as water while a CaCl solution weighs more than water (a 30% CaCl solution weighs 30% more than water). ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
oneace

2004-07-09          90471

Water: 8lbs per gallon
calcium: about 9lbs per gallon
foam: about 6lbs per gallon. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-13          90800

Around here in Michigan you can also opt for a solution thats made from beets that weights in close to the Cacl solution -no rust -slight problem with leak is those wonderful bees love it. I'm still investigating details,pro and cons ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-13          90811

Ya learn something everyday. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-14          90863

The other problem with foam we discovered is that when the tire is worn out and has to be replaced, the old tire has to be cut off the rim. It was almost cheaper to buy two new rims and in hindsight I should have.

It also affects the ride quality and makes pressure adjustments impossible, what ever pressure you specify when the tire is filled is what you have for the life of the tire, period.

Best of luck. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-14          90891

Good pionts Murf. I havent done anything yet with my tires on my new machine. Still trying to decide, however, my old deere had the foam & I loved em' however I need to think more longer term with this machine & I dont think I want to be buying rims when the tires are worn out. What do you use for rear wieght? The thing i did like most about foam was it took the bounce out of the ride & I seem to be the king of flat tires & it stopped that too. So with that in mind, what do you recomend? ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-14          90893

Our CUT use is not typical of what the average (if there is such a thing) user does with them.

We rarely use the FEL's (on our CUT's so equipped) for anything heavy, when we do we always use 3pth mounted ballast. It's the down'n'dirty siolution for us. It's cheap, fast on & off and a variable amount of weight in some cases.

I think for the user who, like us, spends a lot of time on turf, it is important to be able to lose excess weight fast & easily. In a lot of cases a box blade or other heavy implement is just as good as anything else. If the need for traction occurs while the box blade or other takes up the 3pth, then I think wheel weights are the next best thing.

It's interesting that you mention that "it took the bounce out of the ride", that was one of our big complaints with it on the machine we experimented with it on.

The other problem was we use the machines all year-round for a wide variety of tasks and so need to be able to vary the air pressure in the tires, the foam prevents that.

Flats are a very rare occurance for us, if we had a lot of SSL's on construction sites, etc., it would probably be different.

BTW, one of our customers did, however, fill the tires on the little Toyota 4x4 they have as a utility & snow plow rig, they were very happy with the results.

Best of luck.

checking air pressure

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-14          90912

Thanks for the input Murf. I will look into wheel wieghts, my only set back with them is that I have noticed they stick out, making the total width of the CUT wider. AS the CUT sits now it bearly fits on my trailer. I have like a 1/2" on each side of the rear tires. The surface I operate on ranges from deep woods to open fields to construction sites, everyday is different but nothing slows me down more then a rear flat. I do a fair share of lot clearing & have had logs pop a tire if ran over just right :(. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-15          90954

Grasgod, two points, first, the weights shouldn't come out past the wheel, get in touch with DRankin and see if he can send you a pic. of how he did his. Secondly, if you can pop a tire of a rim, there is something funny, there is no way a properly inflated tire should be able to be knocked off the rim with anything short of a hand grenade.

Best of luck. ....

checking air pressure

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-07-15          91031

Thanks for the tip, I will contact him. The log didnt Pop the tire off the rim, it poped a hole in the tire...I hit it right were a small limb had be cut of it so the log had a stuble sticking out of it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login