Advantages of water filling rear tires on JD 790: Tractor Tires  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Advantages of water filling rear tires on JD 790: Tractor Tires -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Tires Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-16-2004, 23:52 Post: 77098
gbeckwi

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Advantages of water filling rear tires on JD 790

Have a John Deere 790 with R4 tires, when using with 5 foot box blade I can get it full of dirt before the tires start slipping (4WD) in most soil types and conditions. By filling to the 75% mark on the tires, tractor does have a front end loader on it, how much increased traction should I expect ? Also the tractor is used in hunting camp woods in soft mud would I get better or worse traction. Getting stuck in some location or old stump holes might mean a long walk, miles, for another tractor.
Advantages and disadvantages of filling tires with water ?
-
Here in Arkansas no shop fills with calcium only antifreeze and water mixtures.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

02-17-2004, 00:18 Post: 77100
F350Lawman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Why not try filling the FEL with a nice scoop of heavy dirt. It will even out the weight distribution and give the front tires some more downforce and "bite". I have done this when pulling a heavy trailer in melted snow and it works. I think you're front light so you may not REALLY be getting the benefit of 4wd when the box gets full of dirt. Filled rear tires may not help if this is the case.

If that doesn't work, I think I'd go with removable wheel weights instead so you only use it when needed. If you fill them you're stuck with them. My thinking is that filled tires may sink deeper in soupy mud and you get less traction with filled tires in the mud because the filled tires deflect less so you get a smaller footprint.

02-17-2004, 08:48 Post: 77121
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Water/antifreeze mixtures can be less than half the weight of a good calcium mix. Personally, I don't think that it is worth putting fluid in tires unless you really get a good weight benefit. I agree with F350 about the rear metal wheel weights. That may be your best choice.

R4 tires are pretty stiff in the first place, and R1 tires may be better for your mud, but R4s are good for harder surfaces. I am not sure that you will get much benefit by lowering the pressure in an R4, but it is worth a try. Be careful if you have to travel on any sideslopes, however, because low tire pressure can make it easier to have a tire come loose from the rim.

As far as traction is concerned, I am assuming that the rear tires are slipping rather than the fronts. You might need to experiment with 2WD to determine this. If you have trouble steering and general traction, loading up the bucket might help. But, if it seems that the rears are just slipping, then rear weight or another more agressive R1 tire may be the answer. With a rear draft load, you want most of the weight on the rear tires. Torque coupled to the ground through the rear wheels will tend to lift the front end or make it lighter. 4WD will restore steering and add traction when the front gets lighter.

02-17-2004, 09:24 Post: 77127
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Box scrapers are strange animals.

When they are riding around doing nothing, they are great for ballast and provide a big increase in rear traction.

When we drop them to the ground our traction increase instantly disappears. Worse.... then we fill them with dirt and they become the landlocked version of a sea anchor.

I have done the liquid thing and I have done weights. My impression with filled tires is that they aid more in stability than increased traction. Wheel weights are the way to go here. When your box blade bails out on you there is 300-400 extra pounds pushing directly on the rear tread.

I think my bro F350 is right on track too. Instead of looking for a scoop of dirt (not always one handy), I keep a bar stacked with used weight plates in the garage.

It weighs 300# and just rolls into the FEL bucket whenever I am doing jobs like box blading or chain-harrowing that tend to "unload" the rear end.

02-17-2004, 23:58 Post: 77191
gbeckwi

Filter by User

Appreciate the advise from other JD 790 owners, in my situation when I am using the tractor I'll probaly be using the bush hog to cut stuff and having to use the FEL to move downed trees, etc out of the way, prob am going to try some water in the tires

02-18-2004, 06:57 Post: 77196
plots1

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

I too think the rear wheel weights will help traction more than filling the tires, Mine surely helped. I also had the fronts foam filled as not to worry about flats no more, And it add about 80 lbs to each tires. That seems to keep them on the ground more and again front traction is enhanced.

02-18-2004, 08:23 Post: 77207
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

If you are using the machine for bush-hogging, and a little FEL working moving debris during the cutting, why would you need extra ballast.

I can't recall seeing a BH that weighed less than a few hundred pounds, and they sit a few feet back which mulitiplies the effective weight.

I would think that BH is enough ballast for almost any debris that you might encounter. Besdies if the ground is tough the extra ballast translates to extra bounce over the bumps. Just my two cents (OK 1.3 US cents).

Best of luck.

02-18-2004, 13:40 Post: 77234
Abbeywoods

My hat is off to the "lawman" for the simplest and best solution. Absolutely no landscape professionals around here put calcium or anything else in their tires because weight is money when hauling the machine, and whatever else is needed, to the job site. The extra weight that is required for traction is almost always dropped into the FEL bucket, nearly everyone has MFWD. It is a hassle free solution that no one needs to fuss with if you find yourself in a situation where you need to get light in a hurry.

02-18-2004, 14:22 Post: 77237
AC5ZO

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I must be missing something. I don't have a box blade, but I have a fairly large rear blade that I use. I know that they don't act exactly the same, but they are similar.

I completely understand what Mark was saying about the traction when the blade is on the ground and you are no longer carrying that weight on the rear of the tractor. But I am having a hard time seeing how putting weight in the FEL and moving the Center of Gravity even further forward would help this poor traction situation. Certainly the FEL weight might help keep everything balanced when the box blade is not digging, but once that box is digging and pulling dirt up behind the rear wheels, it is essentially a draft load like a plow. The weight of the blade is carried by the dirt and the rear of the tractor gets light.

I can understand why you would put weight in the FEL bucket if the front end was getting light, but if that is the case, I have misunderstood the original post. Maybe someone can help me out here.

02-18-2004, 14:38 Post: 77239
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Mike, I think the point you're confused over is that you're thinking people are trying to say that adding weight to the FEL will improve REAR WHEEL traction. Of course it won't, it will make it worse by shifting the C. of G. forward.

What it will do is markedly improve FRONT WHEEL traction. The combined pulling force then of both front and rear wheels will be higher than before, resulting in higher over-all traction.

Clearer now?

Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Tires Forum

Thread 77098 Filter by Poster:
Abbeywoods 1 | AC5ZO 4 | DK35vince 2 | DRankin 2 | F350Lawman 2 | gbeckwi 4 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 2 | plots1 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Filling rear tractor tires with antifreeze
+ Tractor Tire sizes - what do those numbers mean
+ I hate my R4s, part II
+ Valve stem trouble on calcium filled tires
+ AG vs. Industrial tires
+ Galaxy tires?
+ Tire Chains
+ Rubber Tire Chains
+ foam filled turf tires pros and cons
+ Turf or R4 tires for snow

Most Discussion