Go Bottom Go Bottom

Valve stem trouble on calcium filled tires

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-25          55559

I started servicing my A-C D12 today and encountered a problem with the calcium filled tires. The valve stem inserts are shot, when I tried to remove them I got the top half and the threaded end is still in the tube. The tires are low on air so I can not use it, field needs to be mowed. Any tricks to removing the remaining piece from the stem? I have thought about trying to drill it out and that may be my best option, if I destroy the threads I can probably seal it with the metal cap and rubber insert. If I can't fix the thing, I suppose taking them to a tractor shop and having new tubes installed and the calcium drained and refilled will be my only option.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-26          55564

Morning Cutter. Most "REAL" farm tractor tubs have a 2 part valve stem. You can replace the top half. Tractor supply should have them.

Me thinks a small left hand drill would work. Make sure your air chuck will work w/o the valve in there.

If you have a good rubber tip blow gun you should be able to push air past the little valve also.

You also do not have to replace the tubes if what you have is not a 2 piece. They have new valve stem assembly patchs to make a new valve stem. Cut off old one at tube patch over it or put new valve stem patch over it. It depends on the tube construction.

I just patched old stem hole and moved to new spot paper clipp a hole a putting on new stem.

I think I still have 5-6 on the shelf. When I was doing contract work I did in a lot of tires. Even have a 1/2 barrel of cal mixed. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-26          55567

Thanks for the advise Harvey and good morning back at ya. I will take a look at it again today. That thought crossed my mind yesterday as it did appear the valve has a breaking point but it seemed the problem was deep inside the stem. I can ran a scribe in to a fairly good depth but from the computer here I can not remember the relationship between what appeared to be a breaking point and the end of internal travel . Would that be a standard thread or is there some trick to removing it? I will have to jack it and rotate the stems to the top to prevent any pressure from causing the liquid from escaping, I don't want a mess like the one I had to clean yesterday (dumb act on my part, trying to do too many things at once). My chuck seems to work without the stem, but I have those other adaptors you spoke of as well. Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-26          55570

I might learn something here. When I first got my used tractor one of the valve caps was on very tight. I started taking it off using a channel-lock but the valve stem section started unscrewing so I held the stem with pliers to take off the cap. I've never thought about what the two-piece stems do. I suppose I just figured they were like the auto stem extensions sold back in the days of spinner hubcaps. The extensions had just sort of a plunger that went through the body to operate the valve. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-05-26          55580

The 2 piece stems are to allow a larger bore and more rapid filling with water. I have not seen the upper section separately even at the tire supply.
I also was not aware that you could replace the stems on an old tube.
Thanks ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-26          55601

Harvey,

Got them out, now need to find the upper section. Hope my luck turns out better than Peter's in finding them. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-05-26          55611

Cutter if tractor supply does not have them or is not open today, the best bet is a good ag tire dealer that repairs tires. They will have quality ones on the shelf.

If as Peters said; you can buy the complete kit and just take the top half.

Good to hear it is something simple and inexpensive plus an easy fix.

When I got my old M they were completely rotted out. Two new ones fixed problem. I robbed mine off the complete valve stem repair assembly from new parts. I had lots of problems with flats on 2 different jobs and managed to rip out a stem 2X.

Me thinks still cheaper even if you can not find just the stem/valve assembly.

The part # for the tractor tire valve is: TECH 6218 this is a complete patch to repair a ripped out stem. Have a box of 10 and only 3 stem patches used but have used 7 of the valve assemblys.

I bought them directly from TECH in Layafette, NY.

PS use never/anti seize on the new threads.

Good Luck Harvey ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-26          55619

Thanks for ALL of your help today Harvey! The boss wanted to go to the outlet mall in Waterloo today so I checked the farm stores and tractor places on the way, none open but I am not surprised. I will give it a try tomorrow, it just quit raining here after two days so too wet to bush hog anyway. Might be able to cut the grass if the sun stays out long enough to dry it up a bit. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-05-27          55712

Harvey, you are getting so good! Cutter most anyone in the tire buisness that works with farm stuff will have the pieces you need. Peters, I'd hate to say how many of the valve stems I glued on to tubes over 30 years ago! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2003-05-28          55823

Thanks Art, I stopped by the local truck repair shop and he had them laying around on the tire machines. Cost me $1.00 so I tipped the guy I was so happy! ....

View my Photos
edmiller
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-05          58927

Miller Tire can send you what you need. Ph 419-335-7010 ....

Link:   Miller Tire

View my Photos
cutter

2003-07-05          58930

Thanks Ed Miller. Nice website, I assume that is your business? Always happy to have another source for our needs here and a tire expert is a welcome addition. I did find the parts, had to start mowing so could not delay long. Appreciate your response and hope to hear more from you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login