Go Bottom Go Bottom

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Mick
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-06-01          39239

Just wondering if anyone has any experiance with the Galaxy turf tire especially on the JD4400?I was looking at some for the same price as plain turf tires (a big savings)for mowing mostly around the house.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-06          39358

Mike;
There are innumberable names on tires, but fewer manufacturers, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Toyo, Pirelli, Michelin and Cooper. Most tires these days are relatively good quality compared to the older tires. Tires last much longer that 20 years ago due to their construction and composition.
Galaxy bought the molds for ag tires from BF Goodrich when Michelin purchased the tire business.
I would assume they got the tire compound formulas. They are used as OEM (Original Equipment) on some NA tractors and are selling internationally.
Antioxidants are added to the rubber formulation which slow the ozone oxidation. Tractor tires tend to rot out before they wear out.
Peters ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-06          39365

They've learned a lot in the last few decades about rubber compounds. I heard that Galaxy did obtain the formulae in the transaction.
I don't think I've ever seen a set of tires used by homeowners/small farmers worn out. They have all either rotted or been cut down, except for one set I saw burned off a tractor by someone burning a field and it got to the tractor before he could move it, but that's another story. ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-06-07          39380

Save the bucks go Galaxy. ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
MR ETHICS

2002-06-07          39388

If you are useing a MMM. There will not be enough clearence with the Galaxy Tires. They will hit the mower deck when you are turning and the front axle pivots.

This only happens in a severe twist, and when it does, the deck could be damaged.

I had a customer who passed on my advice and went out on his own and put on the Galaxy Tires.

I sold him a second new deck in a few weeks.

Better pass on the deal if useing a MMM ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
cutter

2002-06-07          39391

Yes Peters, I take those antioxidants myself for that very same reason! ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-07          39394

Are you sure it was the Galaxy tires? Sounds like he may have changed style or size of tire, maybe went from R1 to R4 or Turf. I can see where changing tire style or size could be a problem, but just changing manufacturers, I'm not sure about. ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
TomG

2002-06-08          39409

I'm never sure exactly what the number in tire description mean. However, I'm thinking that tires with the same descriptions might be wider or narrower. I guess I can see that in a hard turn, the back half of one tire is going to be inboard quite a bit. If the axle pivoted up on that side and the tire was wider than standard, then there could be tire in places where there might be MMM mower parts.

My tire story for today is about rolling circumference. I was doing some heavy loader work the past two days so I increased the front tire pressures to 16 lbs, which is 4 lbs. higher than the load chart goes. Sure enough, with nothing in the bucket, I noticed that it was hard to engage of disengage the 4wd. Take weight off the front wheels by lifting with the loader and then 4wd engages easily. I believe that's a sure sign of axle windup due to excessive rolling circumference on the front tires. High tire pressure increased the tire diameter and put the rolling circumference ratios out of tolerance. However, they probably were in tolerance when the loader was carrying weight.

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
DavidJ

2002-06-08          39414

Excellent post there Tom. I bet that's something many people never take into account. I'm a real stickler about tire pressure, but have seen many tires stretched like baloons or sagging almost to the rims, which is the same problem in reverse. You could overinflate both sets but one size will always "swell" more than the other. ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-06-09          39424

I think the point of the original post was about the Galaxy turf tire offered by John Deere. This is an oversized balloon type turf tire specifically designed for golf course and other delicate turf conditions. This tire has a very smooth tread with lots of surface area for high flotation.

Jerry

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Peters

2002-06-09          39425

Cutter;
I have seen the vitamin E as a process aid but most of the chemicals are not edible. If you eat them you might be preserved, but the joy will be for your embalmer, not your wife and family.
David
I can not see that there would be a lot of difference if the tire size is the same. If you are increasing the diameter then you can run into difficulties. I would think that if the tires are JD options there would be no problem.
Peters ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
TomG

2002-06-10          39434

I have some impressions about tires. However, my experience is limited to turf tires except for ags on 2wd Farmalls when I was a kid.

If the Galaxy tires are flotation types then they are very wide and have little tread. Padadoxically they have low traction. There is a thread in the archives from last summer. A fatal accident ocurred that when a tractor with flotation tires slide a grassy slope and overturned in a pond.

Flotation tires are for special applications and aren't especially good for general use. Some uses for them are wet lands where lugs clog with mud and there's little traction no matter what, but you don't want the tractor to sink and burrow in. Golf courses is another application where you want to minimize tire impressions on the grass. The accident happened on a gold course.

Rice tires is another specialty tire that are good for use in somewhat on somewhat drier land. Rice tires have bigger lugs than ags. They will dig in and hold better than as on soft mud, but the mud still has to clear off the tires for them to be effective. However, on hard ground neither ags nor rice tires are particularly good if the lugs don’t sink in.

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Peters

2002-06-10          39441

I guess I am confused. I thought the question was what is Galaxy tires and are they any good?
As in the post Galaxy makes a range of tires from molds from BFG. The tread pattern and shape look the same as those on my JD 750. Normal turf tires not necessarily high flotation. ....

Link:   Galaxy Tires

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-06-10          39444

I watched a set of galaxy turfs in action last week at Lake Tahoe on a Deere 4700. They were running some sort of sifter/grooming machine on a private beach. The tires worked extremely well in that environment. I saw no noticeable slippage and the tires left very little sign of their passage. ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
Mick

2002-06-12          39501

Thanks Mrwurm,yes my original question was if anyone had any experiance with the tires on snow.I just got done mowing and they are great for that.No scuffs on the grass and they have a wide print it seemed the grass just stood up again.I guess I'll have to wait til winter to see how they do on snow. ....

Galaxy tires

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-06-12          39510

I would be willing to bet that a galaxy turf tire with chains would get as much traction on snow as you are likely to get with any tire/chain combo. They will most certainly out-perform ag tires and chains. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login