Tire Chains: Tractor Tires  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Tire Chains: Tractor Tires -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Tires Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-08-2001, 16:56 Post: 27931
Mark E. Lamprey

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Tire Chains

I have a question on the use of tire chains on a MFWD tractor. Does anybody know where you can or can't put tire chains. Common sense tells me that it is OK to put chains on all 4 tires and / or chains on just the rear tires. So what I am trying to learn is. Is it acceptable and safe to put chains on just the front tires ? Or will this create problems for the tractor. I am thinking ahead for Winter. YECH !! Thanks, Mark

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

05-08-2001, 21:21 Post: 27948
Eric Edwards

Tire Chains

If it were me(and I was in your position a year ago), I would never put chains only on the front. According to my dealer's mechanic, do anything to keep the front end from doing all the work that you can do. Therefore, do put sufficient weight in the rear to keep traction on the rear tires and do put chains on the back or else expensive front end repair bills will be forthcoming sooner than later. Also, use that differential lock if you have one. But this was JD and maybe the orange or blue can handle more abuse??? I'd suggest studded ice chains for max. grip. I haven't taken mine off yet and I don't think I will.

05-08-2001, 22:09 Post: 27950
Roger L.

Filter by User
 Tire Chains

I like turf tires, so chains are necessary for snow and ice. Sometimes I run them in the summer for abrasion protection, and agree that you want to keep as much of the load on the rears as possible. My front chains are very mild and were made from a cut down set of 14" sports car chains. The rears are heavier, and were made from a cut down set of 16" truck tire chains. Both sets have a ladder pattern - which is much easier to make when doing it yourself.
I'll confess that sometimes I get lazy and only mount the fronts, but when you do, just use common sense and make the tractor pull hard. After all, mounting the fronts only takes about 2 minutes. Putting on the rear chains is more of a project.

05-09-2001, 07:19 Post: 27961
TomG

TP Contributor

Tire Chains

Two different dealers warned me off front-only chains. However, Roger and others have reported using chains on the front only (with appropriate cautions) for years without problems. I avoided the issue by just not getting chains for my turf tires. I've done two winters of snow removal without appreciable traction problems. I do use a blower for most removal, which doesn't require as much traction as plowing. However, I do have enough traction to push enough snow around with the loader to clear and stack stuff I can't blow easily. I've have heard that turfs are arguably somewhat better than other tires on many type winter road surfaces. If I plowed, I'd probably need chains for turfs or any other tire, but I get by just fine without chains. Iíve eaten through nearly 3í of snow with the blower and no chains.

05-09-2001, 08:58 Post: 27970
Roger L.

Filter by User
 Tire Chains

I don't have a snow blower, so I plow the snow. If it is any depth at all - or over ice - then it needs chains on both ends. After about two feet of depth, the compact is in over its head and I get out the big ag tractor to plow. At this point the compact becomes a chore tractor - often with the front chains only. I don't worry about it, just use it in moderation.

05-09-2001, 10:14 Post: 27975
Mark E. Lamprey

Filter by User
 Tire Chains

Thanks Guys for the input. As I said , I am trying to think and prepare for next winter. My JD 950 T/L/B does have turf tires on the rear, they are the narrower style by Galaxy (I think there more for gold courses) and the front (new)tires are a decent, but mild snow tread. At this point I am not even sure if I am going to need chains. I have a very large open front yard,with a big tear drop drive. My landlord actually plows my drive as part of the rent but they never really push the snow back. I Don't Like Snow Banks!! After awhile your driveway looks like a Cow Path and you get that snowed in feeling. And with absolutley nothing in my yard to hurt. Why Not! Push em back to the tree line. Yes! This is (one) of my Pet Peeve's. Most of the time I will be just pushing back snow banks rather then plowing the whole drive. I have an old Fisher blade I am going to doctor up. But snow banks can get pretty tough when they set up. I have enough auto tire chains I can build the fronts out of. I just didn't want to spend the money for rear chains just to find out that, for what I am doing, I really didn't need chains. Yankee Frugality!! Or as a friend of mine put it. Cheap Bastard Thanks for all your Help. Mark

05-09-2001, 19:32 Post: 27988
Mickey Grider

Tire Chains

I am about to purchase a BX2200. Mainly will use it for mowing the lawn (hence Turfs) however snow removal will be another major task. Does anyone have an opinion on Turfs vs. Bars in the snow? Is there is a major increase in traction with the Bars? I will be using a 60" front mounted plow. I was thinking about getting a set of Bar tires for the winter (I am not a fan of chains). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Tires Forum

Thread 27931 Filter by Poster:
Eric Edwards 1 | Mark E. Lamprey 2 | Mickey Grider 1 | Roger L. 2 | TomG 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Filling rear tractor tires with antifreeze
+ Tractor Tire sizes - what do those numbers mean
+ I hate my R4s, part II
+ Valve stem trouble on calcium filled tires