Go Bottom Go Bottom

foam filled turf tires pros and cons

View my Photos
Eric Edwards
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-05-25          16656

If anyone anyone has any experience or knowledge on the pros and cons of foam filled turf tires please elaborate. I will be buying Ags for forest work etc.. I guess an option would be to buy new R'4s(which I have no personal experience with) and sell the turfs to recoup some $. The seller of the tractor I am buying said they were punctureproof. I'm wondering if these tires are for grass or for industrial application(road). It would seem to me that since there is no way to regulate pressure and therefore hardness of the tire then they are less desirable then the pneumatic type finish mowing. This is a guess at best so any information you can give me would help my decision on what to buy for my logging work. Are they cheaper and as such is this tractor I am buying not such a good deal as a result. This is my ultimate question.I apologize for my lack of knowledge. This is a pretty basic question but I haven't found any posts that address my questions.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-05-26          16672

I think the product you are speaking of is a British product called "Tyre-Fill" it was originally developed for industrial (mining, etc.) uses and is VERY good, the problem is it makes ballasting (calcium filling) impossible. For turf applications this is ok, but if the unit is for turf only I wonder about the necessity of 'puncture proofing' the tires. Pressure is regulated by the mixture and amount of filling, it expands differently, resulting in a preset pressure result. It 'cures' to the consistency of foam rubber, but stays slightly 'gooey' so as to fill any hole resulting from a puncture, kind of like thick grease. It is apparently stable enough to be run at speeds of 35 mph indefinitely in truck tires. Hope this helps & best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Frank R Taylor

2000-05-26          16673

I don't have foam filled tires but I looked into it at one time and spoke to a guy that had them. The main drawback for me was that having the tires filled with foam was expensive to do. The guy that had them used his tractor for commercial mowing and he said it made the ride a kidney bruiser - really hard and uncomfortable at times in rough pasture. The upside was that he had not had a puncture in over 2 years so he was pleased. Since you have turfs, I can't see where it would make any real difference (I'm guessing), for finish mowing your lawn but in your logging businees the turfs lack of grip would worry me although not having to mess with a puncture in the woods would be nice. Since they are already on the machine, I think I would keep them and see how it worked out. If lack of traction became a problem while logging, then I think I would change to R4's. They can be rough riding as well because they are pretty stiff but in my experience they are less prone to punctures than Ag's or turfs. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-05-26          16681

The only reason I don't have the foam filled tires is the high cost. I know one dealer who has a rental fleet who said all their rental tractors have foam filled tires because otherwise, they would spend too much time repairing flats. ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-05-26          16685

Thanks for your input. It sounds as if you gentlemen like the idea of puncture proof tires. I spoke with seller this morning and he stated that the foam added 800lbs of ballast. I didn't catch if this was each tire or combined. My fear was that they would not give enough to give good traction on my hilly backyard. He claimed this morning that they were a soft foam filled tire. The front rims appear to have been run along and into the curb a number of times with some obvious damage. I don't think the tires could hold air as a result, yet, it doesn't seem to affect anything. He thought that they should be worth up to $1000. on the used market. I will need a more aggressive tire for my logging activites and I think this will set me back about $1500.. Even so, I think a 98 JD1070 240 hrs., 440 loader, foam filled turfs and new ags w/ rims for a total of $17k is probably a fair deal. A new JD990 w/430 loader and ags runs $19,900. A savings of almost $3,000! Is a warranty and a cosmeticly perfect unit worth $3,000. more? I don't think so. ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-05-26          16687

There is a product that is a tire sealant called Amerseal. It is a product that works pretty well for me in other applications. I doesn't require a lot for a typical truck tire, 20oz. I used it to seal tire that had a slow leak that we could not find and it worked. can't remember what i paid for it either. wasn't real expensive. I was impressed by the display at a trade show where you could pop holes in the tire and they sealed. anyway, it is worth a look if you are worried about flats and you don't lose the float of the tire inflation. Gemplers also has a similar product. check them out too. my 2 cents. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login