Go Bottom Go Bottom

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
metalman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-21          159680

I'm looking for other way to fill Back tractor tires to stop the leaks from thorns. I read the other articals But wounder if alturntive way other than expencive foam fill could be used to fill and weight back tires .??Thanks rick

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-21          159682

Have you tried putting some of that sealing goop in the tires?

It won't weight the tires but it might stop the leaks.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/T1319/Ultraseal-Tire-Sealant-Commercial-grade-5-gallon ....

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-21          159688

MM, where the heck do we have thorns in AA? I'm minutes from you. No thorns I've seen around here could puncture a tire unless it's a small, thin, and old.

The tire sealant is okay--sometimes. I use it in my skid steer. The biggest problem with using any sealant in a tire that doesn't have a "safety bead" like a car or truck, is that by the time the sealant fills the hole using the tire pressure inside to force out the sealant---the tire has little pressure inside and then comes completely off the rim. I found if I put 10 PSI more than the tires says to hold (mine are rated for 65 and add 10 times the amount of sealant---about a gallon and a half--I'm safe. Some holes can take a half-gallon or more to seal; some not.

I've tried all the supposedly hi-tech sealants that have everything from Kevlar strings to pieces of hemp rope to ground up tire rubber (Slime brand) and the Slime wins--and it's cheaper too.

Gemplers does have a a boot they sell which is basically a thick rubber ring that goes inside the tire--it does nothing for the side walls. And they can cost more than the tire itself.

My skid steer came with a self-healing urethane coating inside. It's about an inch thick, feels and looks like thick, well...semi-transparent snot. ONE new skid steer tire with it costs about $500. I got three times the life out of it compared to my buddies using similar tires.

I did some extensive research and found that I could actually mix and apply the urethane myself for about $50 a tire. Northstar Polymers sent me a sample and I mixed it up and sure enough it was just like the factory-installed stuff. I have not done a full-scale use of it since I was going to buy new tires but they're going to run me about a $1000, and money's a bit tight. And I'm leaning toward "aperture tires" which I address next.

Another option is SolidBoss "aperture" tires which happens to have a depot near Grand Rapids. And they deliver too for the cost of fuel. They sell a "solid" rubber tire that has through-holes or apertures in it that allow for flex and a better ride. They sort or look like a forklift tire. They have all different sizes. Try www.solidboss.com

Be sure to be sitting down or near something when they tell you the price. Tires which come with wheels for my machine are $2500, but that's cheaper than others I have found.

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-21          159691

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 159688
My skid steer came with a self-healing urethane coating inside. It's about an inch thick, feels and looks like thick, well...semi-transparent snot.

Jeff, I thought you said you used to write technical manuals?

Or is "snot" the technical term for the tire liner? LOL

Best of luck. ....

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-21          159692

hohoho--snot described the consistency and appearance. It was paramount...or is it...tantamount to tire liner?

Like the guy who stuck his finger in some doo-doo on the sidewalk and tasted it said, "Yup, it's doo-doo. Good thing I didn't step in it!" :) ....

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
Murf

2009-01-21          159694

So you're blaming the spell-checker for "snot" or the redneck-checker? LOL

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-01-21          159697

No spell checker here! The word snot was carefully chosen. And that "redneck checker"--is that a Yankee at the Mason-Dixon Line?

Hey, does your family/business do work in thse parts that would need my general contracting services and my buddy's services of concrete work (I do the removal and he does the finish work? We've been wracking our brains as to what we can do to pay bills. ....

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
metalman

2009-01-22          159713

Well I still have Olive Thorn trees (bush) out in Gregory. Every time I try to run over them with the mowing machine they get one of my turf tires. I would like to add something like the foam filled BUT as we all know the price. I did't seem to have as much truble whe I had clorine in them. I had to weld up and sand blast them after the 18 ys. og corrosen?? But maybe that is a cheep way to go. I do miss the weight in back. Top new e-mail Thanks...rick ....

Load tires to stop leaks

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-01-22          159733

I'd ask a farm-tire guy, but wouldn't liquid seep out as easily as air? I get a thorn-leak about once a year in my fronts. Though only my rears are ballasted, their (turf) lugs are thicker than the fronts' so not sure which is protecting them. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login