Go Bottom Go Bottom

Filling rear tractor tires with antifreeze

View my Photos
Scott Kimmich
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-04-04          14457

I asked my local dealer why they use calcium chloride to fill tires and he said, "cause that's what we got". Because of the corrosive nature of calcium chloride, I am not satisfied with that response. I have heard of folks using an antifreeze/water mix to fill their tires, and am wondering if anyone has a successful "homebrewed" method of filling tires this way. Remove tire and lay flat? Remove valve stem and...? BTW, tractor dealer says calcium chloride is heavier per gallon, but at hundreds of dollars to fill 'em, I can go a long way on antifreeze if this proves to be a good alternative. Any input is appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Ken

2000-04-04          14466

Scott, I use water-antifreeze and it works very well. Not as heavy but will do the job just the same.If you go to www.gemplers.com you can see and order the tools to do this job .The one I use cost about $8.00.You will need a few things to get started.A small pump(like one that fits in a drill)and a couple pieces of garden hose and the tool that screws on the valve stem.Try to keep the fluid up above the tire so gravity will help.Go slow and push the button on the tool every so often to let the air out.Keep the water away from the drill! Fill so the mix is up to the top of the rim.Take the weight off the wheel.Thats it. It takes awhile ! Good Luck -Ken ....

View my Photos
James Q. (Joe) Smith

2000-04-04          14468

Scott, I have used antifreeze for seven year without any problems. Just remember to add enough antifreeze to cover your geographical area. Follow Ken's recommendations, can't get any easier than that. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-04          14469

The main reason calcium chloride is used is because it adds a significant amount of weight. It shouldn't cost hundreds of dollars to fill a comopacts tire. I just had a 18.4-28" tire drained & filled to fix a hole & it cost $15. I have a kitfor filling tires with fluid. It attaches to the tube & you pressurize a barrel to 4psi to fill the tube. I used it once. It isn't worth messing around with for $15. I'd much rather have chloride spill on the ground from a leak than antifreeze. I've seen what antifreeze does to an animal that licked it because it is sweet tasting. ....

View my Photos
Paul

2000-04-06          14510

When they filled my tires filled with antifreeze they used an "RV" antifreeze.
They said it was not supposed to be toxic to plants or animals. Hope this helps ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-04-06          14513

I've been playing with the Calcium Chloride mixture just to see how much weight it adds to the weight of water. Theoretically you ought to be able to get a 30% increase, but I've only been able to dissolve enough to get a 20% increase so far. And even at that density the CaCl is not totally dissolved. So the best I could expect would be that 100 pounds of water would weight 120 pounds if I mix in the CaCl at maximum density. Two things here: The CaCl is standard Ag grade (bought at JD in 50# bag) and is 95% pure. The other 5% appears to be clay, but it may be something which inhibits dissolving to the full 30%. Perhaps chemical reagent grade CaCl is more soluable than than industrial grade. Also, dissolving the CaCl produces lots of heat! Don't try it in a plastic container. And I wouldn't pour water on top of CaCl. Pour the powder in instead. I haven't tried the antifreeze, so I don't know if it is heavier or lighter than water. Maybe I'll try that next. BTW, the CaCl cost about $20 per 50# bag. Don't let it touch any metal; it will rust it immediately. ....

View my Photos
Harry Webster

2000-04-06          14519

I have been considering proplylene glycol antifreeze for the rear tires of my 4100. Sierra makes a product for automobiles that runs about $7 a gallon, mix 50/50 with water. There is also a "RV" antifreeze used to protect water systems over the winter. Walmart sells it for $2.88 a gallon. I wonder if the anti-corrosion properties are similar. Either way, you get the weight benefits of straight water without the worries about freezing or poisoning animals in the case of a leak. The R4's on the 4100 take about 15 gallons each, for a total price of about $90 .
HarryW ....

View my Photos
Walt

2000-04-08          14570

Scott, the reason you will probably never hear a dealer mention an ethylene glycol antifreeze/water solution for ballast in a tractor tire is because it's against the law. I use calcium chloride in the rear of my JD 5310. I use a tube in the tires which keeps the solution off the steel wheels. If I had to do it over again I would not use anything in my tires but air. At highway speeds (18 mi/hr) you can really tell it's in there.
I don't know anything about "RV" antifreeze, but it sounds like it might be a good solution if non toxic and non corrosive. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-04-08          14577

Bird, rule of thumb on calcium mix is 50 gallons of water and two bags calcium. We are getting a full mix on that and our bags are 80lbs. Normal price is $18. per bag water is still free here in N.Y.but we do ahve to pay our help and for the machines to fill them. A realistic cost on filling a compact tractor tire and adding tubes is $200.? Does depend on size of tires for the tubes and amount of mix. I still don't like calcium or anything in tires due to the traction losses and prefer cast iron or other solid type of weight. ....

View my Photos
Greg Karson

2000-04-08          14600

Scott, You obviously hit on a topic of high interest. My experience and opinion...go with an antifreeze, if it is nontoxic so much the better. I had antifreeze (+water) in my JD 316 wheels for 12 years, no tubes and no corrosion.
I bought a tool at my local JDeere dealer to fill the tire. It attaches to tire stem and allows you to attach a garden hose to it. First bleed your air out. Hold both garden hose ends up chest level and fill garden hose with antifreeze through a funnel. Attach hose end to tire stem and other end to water spicket. Turn on water and push antifreeze into tire. Repeat until you put as much antifreeze in tire as you want and then top off with water. If you are still not at a pressure you desire you can always add a little air also. You will gain significant weight at very low cost. Hope that helps, e mail me if you wish. ....

View my Photos
Bruce Lahmayer

2000-04-09          14626

I was just wondering what opinions there are on the use of used antifreeze for ballast in tires?

Bruce Lahmayer

View my Photos
Marvin

2000-10-15          20611

Here's another idea. One local dealer, here in Western PA, is using Windshield Washer fluid in their tires for ballest. Personally, I've requested anti-freeze in my new tractor. Don't want Calcium rusting the rims from the inside, and I don't know the "lubrication" value of WW fluid [again for the corrosion aspect] ... I plan on having this tractor for quite a while. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-10-16          20615

I've heard that some tire shops won't work on tires filled with windshield washing fluid. Most of these fluids are methanol based, and the tire will contain quite a bit of flammable, or maybe explosive, vapours. Methanol also has a disposal problem, as does ethyl based anti-freeze. Both are toxic, and both make a mess of the soil if there's a tire leak. I think non-toxic (propyl based) anti-freeze is a costly, but better choice. ....

View my Photos
peppers

2003-10-17          66497

Does anyone know the ratio of antifreez to water in at tire that will prevent corrosion to the steel rim? Where I live I'm not concerned about freezing. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-17          66499

I had the dealer fill my rear tires when I had the FEL installed. They used a bluish fluid that reminded me of windshield washer solution. Kinda smells like it too. ....

View my Photos
Red Rocker

2003-10-17          66510

Where can I get a chart theat tells how many gallons R4 tires hold? I have a 790 John Deere and it has 15x19.5 rear and 25x8.5 fronts. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-18          66547

There is more to using Calcium Chloride in tires than just as an antifreeze solution. Calcium Chloride solution weighs up to fifteen pounds per gallon. This gives a lot of weight from the fluid that is used. Windshield washer and regular antifreeze solutions weigh less than half of that amount per gallon. A tire filled with those solutions would weigh half of the calcium filled tire. In my opinion, if you are going to give up that much ballast, don't use fluid at all...use steel weight.

Calcium chloride is a safe "salt" material. It is more corrosive than windshield washer solution and regular antifreeze, but tractors have been using it for decades without severe problems. Changing a tire does not get easier with ANY fluid used, so there is no advantage for windshield washer solution or regular antifreeze for punctures either. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-19          66561

There is a mobile tire service near here and there are probably similar operations in most places. They'll come and drive their truck to the middle of your field where the tractor is stuck with the leak pointing up. They'll pump out the ballast, repair the tire and refill it. It's good to know about such services. They'd no doubt load tires as well and that would save figuring volumes and mixtures and having to have assorted pump gadgets and containers.

There is a product called Rim Guard (made from beet pulp) that has good freezing and weight properties, isn't corrosive and doesn't kill everything if it leaks. It's gotten some pretty play around here as an alternative. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-10-27          67269

Having the calcium and tubes removed from my r-4's on my 790.rusting around the valve stems,and one stem seems to always be seeping/wet.still under warranty My dealer is haveing the tires demounted to question workmanship/tube failure.no flats (ever).
Will be filling them with "rim-guard",says that my 15x19.5 rims take approximatly 47 gallons apeice.
My dealer is quite a distance and just started to carry "rim-guard" and is going to drop calcium all together/claims there is only 1/2lb per gallon difference. He also claims that the little extra in price will off set warranty/rust problems and tire repair work.br>
I live 500ft from the Hudson river and there are a couple of private wells in the area,the insurence of a major failure(rupture/flat)that wont contaminate the wells or the HUDSON is welcomed.The E.P.A. continually monitors this area and has fined a few local people on heavy equipement used durring excavation leaking hydraulic fluid !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
peppers

2003-10-29          67484

What is the cost of rim guard per gallon? Do you mix rim guard with water or use it straight? If you mix it what is the ratio? ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-10-29          67508

rim-guard as I understand it is a sugarbeet by product with the consistacy of molassas,weighs approximatly 11.3 lbs a gal.and is used straight(no dilutions what so ever)and with its high sugar ratio does not freeze or at least is good to -40.

it is used with out a tube thus a little easier repair work,most common fill rate is anywhere from 50% (low center of gravity) to 80% (high traction)

it started in the corn belt as an alternative to cal. due to it enviromentally freindly nature.You do not contaminate the soil with SALT in your fields if you had a failure.

a small tractor like mine is a small issue however a articulated 8 wheel drive could really do a number in spilling 100's of gallons in ONE tire thus destroying the soil/crops in the area !!!!!!!!! remember what the ROMANS did when they salted the feilds.NOTHING GREW

its about twice the price of cal. $2.50 - $3.25 a gal however its half the head aches ie. repair work,rusting rim,contamination ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-30          67518

Depending on your mix of calcium that is just over 4 lbs per gallon light on the rim gaurd. The cost is about double that of the calcium to begin with. A leak in a tire will leak, nothing other then flat fix or some other type of substance will fix the leak other then a patch. From my side of the fence, anythime I can find a good reason to put a tube in a tire I do! That is the biggest reason for many leaks as a dead furrow,curb or even a stone can knock a bead loose from the rim. Calcium is salt, it is mined from the earth as is, mixed with water or vise-versa and installed in tires to add ballast economically to equipment. Will it rust rims, yes if the mix has oxygen like by a leak. Will it rust thru a rim? Yes in about 30 or 40 years from what we have seen in the ag industry. Is it environmentally safe? Yes. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-30          67532

It is not fair or logical to compare Calcium Chloride ballast as being as contaminating as hydraulic fluid. One is petroleum and the other is sold at hardware stores as deicer for driveways among other things. If any of you have water softeners, then you should know that the water running to the drain or outside from the water softener has calcium chloride in it. If you were a Roman salting land to make it sterile, you would use a bit more salt than you can disolve in a few gallons of water.

I grew up on a farm. I also worked for a farm equipment dealership. The only rims that I have ever seen rusted through were on very old tractors. I cannot remember ever selling someone a new rim and I certainly never had a tractor of my own with a rusted out rim.

We had the occasional tire puncture in our farm fields, and we simply called the mobile tire repair service to repair the tire in the field. While any fluid ballast makes changing a tire more difficult, I won't change a tractor tire by myself anyway. It is a hard job and IMO best left to professionals with the proper tools. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-30          67536

My first tractor was a old 1968 Cub 154 Lo Boy my father gave me as a basket case. It had the original tires and NaCl fill in them when I traded it to the John Deere dealer last year. They were not leaking but looked like they had a few corrosion spots around the valve stems. If you use NaCl with tubes in the the tires. corrosion should not be an issue. The only problem I ran into with these NaCl filled tires was that the valve stem valves would corrode and I could not get air in or out even after I removed the valve stem core. The stems finally started leaking so I put stainless steel valve stem caps with rubber seals on them to hold the solution in the tires. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-30          67539

Randy, you mean NaCl or CaCl? NaCl is regular table salt and it is more corrosive than CaCl. I have never seen a tire filled with NaCl solution for that reason, but it would serve the same purpose. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-30          67540

Haven't finished near enough coffee this morning and still working through a headache. You are right. ;-) CaCl ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-30          67541

Was just a few squares off on the periodic table. ;-) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-30          67543

There are to many scare tactics for this stuff, it is not the neatest to work with but it isn't the killer as it has been made out to be. Many of my farm customers have to watch there manure as we are at the top of NYC's water system but the calcium has never been brought up and I don't think it will. Like I said it is messy and I am glad I don't have to get covered with it any more but to much wrong info is out about it. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-30          67568

Calcium Chloride is very benign. You could drink a glass of the solution and all it would do is have a laxitive effect, the same as any other salt water. It is not caustic. It is mildly corrosive to metal and much less corrosive than sea water. It does not cause as many of the detrimental effects as sodium chloride can on soil, concrete, and metals and that is why it is widely used. It is also used in cooling plants for food preparation.

By the same token, a glass full of water with ethylene glycol out of your radiator is enough to kill you and your entire family. Alcohol windshield washer antifreeze is flamable and could cause you to go blind if you drink it. These same dangers apply to pets and farm animals that might drink these fluids.

I am not trying to scare anyone. I use regular antifreeze and windshield washer fluid as much as anyone. But it is good to keep things in perspective. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-30          67572

We use more tons of CaCl a year as de-icing compound than I care to count. We have yet to have any complaints of burnt grass or killed plants. With rock salt we used to have to be VERY careful about where we put it for just that reason.

We use CaCl mostly in pellet or flake form although we are looking at the new liquid applicators. They are really slick units and they eliminate most of the headaches associated with rock salt, clumping, freezing, and spillage is a thing of the past.

It's also a LOT more friendly to vehicles and equipment, although it plays havoc with exposed skin.

I wonder if anybody has thought of a way to use CaCl loaded tires for traction to plow snow and still be able to spray some of it as a de-icing agent? Hmmmmm.....

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
CJSJD

2003-10-30          67574

I WORK FOR A JD DEALER AND WE USE WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID IN THE REAR TIRES ON L&G TRACTORS WHEN USING SNOW BLOWERS AND HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH IT. IT WEIGHTS ABOUT 8 LBS A GALLON AND IS FAIRLY CHEAP. TO PUT IT IN JUST LAY THE TIRE ON ITS SIDE AND BREAK THE BEAD DOWN ON ONE SIDE AND POUR IT IN. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-10-30          67584

My tires needed to be looked at seeping/wet/leaking for what ever reason. it just was a reasonable conversion for my situation,I WANTED THIS INCONVENENCE ONCE!!!!! A real flat I can deal with, I used to be BANDAG certified in tire repair/recapping,with the tractor under warranty why should I do the work.And if something punctures a tire it most likly will puncture the tube 2x the work.

My name is not G.E. and the E.P.A. will not mess with me if something on my property causes a large "FISH KILL" they will stick a $50,000 fine approximatly 2x the times of the price of my tractor where the sun does not shine !!!!!.These guys follow easments to people that have cars LEAKING OIL OR ANTIFREEZE in their driveways !!!!!!!
yeah ,I am not comparing chemicals however any damage is to much when it envolves these people !!!!
NO I am not a tree hugger,tree huggers do not buy chainsaws!!!!! I am very carefull ,I do not need to spend money on a lawer or pay the E.P.A. I am building a home!!!! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-31          67616

Fact!!!! Cast Iron is the best traction anyone can buy. It never leaks, it allows the tires to flex in a way a liquid filled tire can't to give better traction to the equipment and be more productive. Yes it does cost more but it is better! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-31          67629

Alright, I meant cast iron bolted on for ballast. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-31          67632

I wasn't messing with you. I really did not understand what you meant. Sorry for the confusion. I guess that if I hadn't spent some time around antique tractors, I would not have jumped to that conclusion.

I agree about the cast iron ballast weights. The only advantage of CaCl ballast is cost as far as I know. I am not going to take the calcium out of my tires now that it is in there, but I may add additional cast iron weights anyway. I lift and move some pretty heavy loads with my FEL and ballast is always an issue. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-31          67633

Thats alright it got me to laugh a bit! Loading tires does hinder the ability of a tire to mold itself to the ground for good traction. I came after the steel wheels but sure have seen plenty of them. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-31          67638

I have seen plenty of them too, but the tractors were old enough that I have never seen one used in a field with steel wheels. I don't know how they actually perform.

I expect that the shift to rubber tires was due to ride improvements and corrosion of the rim. Certainly steel cleats on a tracked vehicle grip loose soil or muck better than rubber cleats.

I sold new and used tractors in the 1970s while I was in college. Most of the tractors with steel cleated wheels were in the boneyard at that time. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-31          67642

I'm told that the shift to rubber was more a performance thing than anything else. The steel wheels didn't conform to the ground and so were only really effective in soft ground. They are REALLY nasty things in the winter when the ground is frozen.

The steel wheels also meant the tractor couldn't be easily roaded, this wasn't a problem in the days when a family farmed one patch of dirt and lived on it. However things changed as horsepower increased, so did the amount of land that could be worked and so tractors had to be able to quickly & easily move between sites.

Our family still has an old AC on steel, during the war when rubber was scarce we, and many others, went back to using them.

The only other time I have seen then used was on a transport

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-31          67649

I saw this and thought it might be helpful to any do it yourselfers. ....

Link:   Liquid Tire Ballast

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-10-31          67653

They weights that they specify seem to be for almost pure water. A gallon of water can hold at least seven pounds of Calcium Chloride increasing the density to almost double the amount used in the chart. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-01          67693

The table on the tech specs page of that site looks like it would answer questions we sometimes hear around here like 'how much fluid to get for particular tires. I guess they gave the weights for water because of different fluids and mixtures people might use so the table is less useful for figuring weight. As AC notes for CACL, it is the weight of water plus the weight of CACL used.

While I was at the site I went into the UDT/Super UDT page, because that was a debate that sometimes raged around here. There is a low temp flow comparison table I found curious. The table compared flow rates by time pumped for oil at minus 30C. UDT starts off with higher flows as should be expected but flows after 30-minutes end up the same. The only thing I can figure is that the oil must be warming during the time it is pumped. The UDT flows really are pretty low in the early minutes, which probably is the reason I've heard that some people curl their buckets back and hold the relief valve open for a few minutes to help warm the oil. Most likely they are owners who have HST's. ....

View my Photos
stretcher

2013-09-24          188028

To those in favor of cast iron weights, please be advised that while cast iron is an attractive option and recommended, there is at least one significant advantage that fluid ballast has over cast iron and that is with the center of gravity. Many of the tractors manufactured in the past 10-15 years have been trending towards automatic incorporation of a front end loader, and 4 wheel drive with relatively tall front tires compared with older designs. This has raised the CG of the tractor and when equipped with a cab, the CG is even higher. That is good for ground clearance, but potentially hazardous on sloped ground. The incorporation of the heaviest possible ballast at the lowest possible position makes fluid ballast attractive. This is even more accentuated when one considers the position of the overall tractor CG when the front end loader is lifted.

One other thing to consider for those looking to add weight to the rear is to carry a box blade or similar attachment to counteract the FEL. My box blade has a solid piece of steel 6 feet long, ~350lb, welded to the box blade that brings the total weight to ~1000 lbs. This counteracts the weight and CG effect the FEL (1500lb empty) has when it is loaded with gravel or equivalent high density material.

I just did a search for ballast and found an interesting candidate - Menard's has Zecol 100 Plus propylene glycol in a 55 gallon drum for $320 (price may vary by location). There is also Zecol -50F RV Plus for $155 but it contains ethanol (see MSDS at Menard's site). Propylene glycol is nontoxic and usually contains corrosion inhibitors. The Zecol 100 Plus literature indicates it is safe to -100F from freezing.

View my Photos
greg_g

2013-09-25          188029

RimGuard is heavier and cheaper. Cost me ~$237 to have just under 90 gallons pumped in, filling all four tires to the 70% mark. RimGuard weighs 11 pounds per gallon, and is 100% biodegradable.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-09-26          188032

As you can tell by how far back the posts go this subject has as many opinions as asking a group of guys how they like their steak done.
Back in the H and M Farmall days we used calcium chloride but gradu7ally got weaned off of it when leaks ruined rims. Unless a leak was handled promptly the calcium would glue the tire bead to the rim making for a nasty job. a few tire dealers finally6 almost refused to fix a filled tire or would fix them at an elevated rate. I haven't used liquid since, cast iron only.
On my 4310 Deere with the loader I had the box blade on for ballast. I agree the little narrow tread tractors are a bit tippy, so caution is needed no mater how it is ballasted.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
bobhope

2014-12-07          191571

When filling a tire for ballast should you fill the tire 100 percent or some other level? I thought you were supposed to set the valve to the highest position and then fill so that it is just above the the height of the wheel rim, then pressurize the tire with air so it might be 65 percent full fo liquid. Is that right? ....

View my Photos
jobone

2014-12-09          191581

I do not like fluid in my tires and definitely think it should be avoided in radial tires. On radials it reduces traction and is weight below the axle so it is not that effective unless you are working on slopes. Half way full to two thirds is plenty. I just hate the mess if you need tire maintenance, prefer plan old air in tires. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-12-10          191592

Bobhope, that is the standard used here.

jobone, I am puzzled by what the problem with weight below the axle? For preventing roll over the lower the weight the better (which you sort of mention with working on slopes). I have had one tractor with radials and the dealership recommended filling them and they pulled very good. May have good pulled very good if not filled on that tractor, as they were filled when we got it and filled when it left.

By no means a traction expert, seems the best way to find out on a tractor would be to test it with heavy pull load with air only, then fill the tires and test again. Just my experience have bought from two different dealerships and had tire worked on by other dealership and at least here seems to be the norm. That does not make it right. ....

View my Photos
Ultradog

2014-12-17          191659

Hi all, New user here.
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have a definitive answer to how much ethelene glycol antifreeze is required to prevent freezing in a tire with water ballast? I mean what %?
It gets cold here so I would like protection down to minus 20 or so.
I don't mind if they get slushy but I don't want ice to form.
I understand all the various arguments for CaCl, cast iron, windsheild washer fluid, beet juice, propylene glycol, etc but would like to use used antifreeze form a junk yard. I need about 120 gallons of fluid to fill my rear tires.
Thanks! ....

View my Photos
bosco2

2014-12-17          191660

Hi Ultra and welcome.

-20 that is sure cold.

Here is an automotive antifreeze table that should work for you. Suppose you are pulling it from vehicles that already have it mixed though.

Looks like whoever made that table left off some minus signs on the 10 quart row so use with looking at the column trend for reasonability.. sorry bout that! ....

Picture Link
Parts and Repair Filling rear tractor tires with antifreeze

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-12-18          191672

There is normally a percentage chart on many of the antifreeze containers. Of course it is hard to know how many gallons that tire holds or is for me. Maybe you could mix it before pumping it in. kt ....

View my Photos
Ultradog

2014-12-18          191675

Thanks guys.
Yeah, you can find charts for protection online but I want the minimum amount I can use. Those charts are keeping the ballast liquid. I don't mind if it turns to slush. Just as long as it doesn't get to be hard ice.
As for volume of a tire there are several charts online.
Click on the link below for one. ....

Link:   click here

View my Photos
yocsr1

2014-12-19          191682

I had my Foton filled at the tire shop last winter. The tire shop uses antifreeze called rv55, there wasn't any mixing. They fill just below the top of the rim - approximately 70%. They charged me $307.00 for the two rear tires which are 12.4x28. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-12-19          191685

Yocsr1,

Wonder how much was labor and how much was the RV55. ....

View my Photos
yocsr1

2014-12-20          191691

The labor was $90.00. Here's how my luck goes. When they raised the tractor and spun the tires, one had a 6" cut. The tires were basically new - hadn't wore the nubbins off yet, but because I was filling them patching wasn't a good option. I had to buy a new 6 ply titan which cost me another $391.00 plus $40.00 for a new tube. I have a friend who runs the same tires without fluid so I had them hot patch it and gave it to him to hang in his barn for a spare. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2014-12-22          191701

foam filling the tire costs a lot less than that and the 6" cut would not matter JMMHO ....

View my Photos
yocsr1

2014-12-23          191704

What is the cost of foam filling the rear tires? I hadn't heard of anyone foam filling, curious about the pro's and con's. I fluid filled to lower the center of gravity on the tractor because I side mow a fairly steep slop along the drive. How much weight does the foam add? ....

View my Photos
yocsr1

2015-01-24          191914

I talked to friend who works at a local truck tire shop about foam filling. He said he didn't think anyone local was doing foam anymore, and from what he remebers they charged by the pound. He didn't think it was cheaper than fluid filled, but you can run them bare. He said the foam they used was spungy like a superball so the ride wasn't hard like you would think, but was real bear when it did need changed. They used it a lot on mine equipment around here. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login