What the heck is a Compact Utility Tractor anyway?: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review What the heck is a Compact Utility Tractor anyway?: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-06-2002, 10:50 Post: 44668
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 What the heck is a Compact Utility Tractor anyway?

Here are some excerpts from recent posts that sort of define the question.

From Mark H.
Ben, you are right of course about the Kioti DK series, but that begs another question that has been nagging at me. The DK’s, in size and weight, start where the Deere 4700 leaves off and the biggest DK hits the deck at 6000 lbs. Is this a compact tractor?

From slowrev:
Good question Mark, Where does a compact tractor end and a standard utility tractor begin? The smaller Dk's are probably CUT's but the 50 HP and up I am not sure about. Is there a definition out there somewhere, or is this just a loose advertising concept.

From Dave’s tractor:
CUT cutoff? Not sure. I have a 50HP Yanmar, that is very compact, about 4000lbs with loader. I would say it is a CUT. It hauls nicely on a 7000GVW car trailer (load capacity of 5500lbs). I have an older 424 International with a loader that is about 30ish HP and must weigh 6000lbs or more. It is not a CUT. Not sure where the line is, but probably in the low to mid 40HP range would fit most people's idea. Certainly if you can't haul it on a car trailer with a regular pickup, it is too big for my idea of a CUT

Ok folks, what is a compact utility tractor? And what is a sub-compact?
What makes my BX22 a “sub-compact” when it has more horsepower and weight than several “compacts”? Smaller wheels? I guarantee the BX would kick my JD 4100’s butt in a tug of war. So it can’t be a measure of ability to work. Or is it?

What is the cut off between utility tractors and compact utilities? Do you agree with Dave, if it can be easily transported on a trailer, then it is a compact?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

11-06-2002, 11:12 Post: 44669
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I've sometimes wondered about this topic, too. My TC29 is about the same weight, size, and hp as an 8N, but seldom do you hear the old Ford referred to as a "compact". The 9/2/8N series, Oliver Super 55, Fergy 20 & 35, etc. were classed as utility tractors when they were made, distinct from the agricultural or row crop tractors of the same age. Perhaps the term "compact" has come to replace "utility" when descibing these tractors. The older tractors were sometimes described by pulling power also, such as one plow, two plow, etc.

In autos, I think the distinction is made simply by interior room. Perhaps with tractors some sort of benchmark would be handy, taking into account weight, hp, physical size, and perhaps intended usage.

Bill

11-06-2002, 11:47 Post: 44670
JackIL

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Well there is an "official" definition from the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) standards. It is included as a subheading under Section 39 Agricultural Tractors in the SAE Handbook.

3.1.1.1 Compact Utility Tractor - A small agricultural tractor equipped with a 540 rpm rear PTO and a three-point hitch designed for Category I immplements only. These tractors generally weigh less than 1800 kg (3968 pounds), have less than 30 PTO kW (40 PTO Hp), and are primarily designed and advertised for use with mowers and light-duty material handling equipment.

Material handling equipment implies Loaders, Blades, Scrapers, etc. in contrast to Tillage Equipment.

This definition was last reviewed by the Committee in July 1997. Obviously today there are several tractors that are regarded as compacts but have more that 40 PTO hp so the upper limit has crept up a bit. Most people in the industry today would probably say that 50 PTO hp is the approximate border between a compact utility tractor and a utility tractor.

The definition has obviously changed over time. For example, in the 40s and 50s, tractors like the Ford 8N, NAA, and others of similar size (around 25-30 PTO HP)were regarded just as small agricultural tractors without the word utility being needed. Over time, horsepower has constantly crept upward and the usages of each tractor size has changed. What was once a real agricultural tractor later came to be regarded as a utility tractor. Then even later the notion of a utility tractor had to be subdivided into regular and "compact" versions. A farmer in North America today could not take care of many acres with a 25 HP tractor, but in other parts of the world some farmers would be thankful to have a tractor of any kind or power level.

Jack

11-06-2002, 12:53 Post: 44672
slowrev

Filter by User

So I guess anytractor with a 540 rear PTO and 1 Category 1 3-point hitch is a CUT. These 2 items seem to be the only consistant items indicating a CUT. If the tractor has a Category 2 hitch or larger it is a Utility tractor I suppose. So I guess if you have a 9000 lb tractor with a 540 rear PTO and a Category 1 hitch it is a CUT ?

Ben

11-06-2002, 13:01 Post: 44673
slowrev

Filter by User

Also Jack Many of us here are thankful to get a tractors of any power levelSmile Or of many power levels, different tractors for different jobs. Some of us cannot get too many tractors. unless or wives tell us differently.

Ben

11-06-2002, 13:24 Post: 44675
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Jack, that is very useful info. Thanks for the post; but I tend to disagree about the use of the word "utility" regarding the smaller tractors. From what I remember of my reading concerning the history of tractors in the US and England, the 8N was described as a utility tractor at the time it was produced (48-52); certainly, the Ollie Super 55 was considered a utility tractor when it was introduced, if I'm not mistaken, about 1952, when Ford made the jump to the Jubilee. For somebody interested in tractor history (I am) it will make for some interesting research. You may be right; perhaps only later did it come to pass that these size/style tractors were called "utility".

Slowrev, another interesting point is that the distinction between cat 1 and cat 2 3ph usually comes in the 50 hp range (aside from the pin size differences); I guess your tractor is in the upper end of "compact" range.
Bill

11-06-2002, 14:40 Post: 44677
JackIL

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Ben,

No not all tractors with a 540 PTO and a Cat I hitch are compact utility tractors according to the SAE definition. The second sentence of the definition says they generally weigh less than 3968 pounds (1800 kg) and have less than 40 PTO hp.

Jack

11-06-2002, 15:06 Post: 44678
slowrev

Filter by User

Jack, I agree, however the definition is a bit vague though. As are the 3-point hitch specs. According to Yesterdays Tractors site, a category 1 hitch is used on a 20-45 hp tractor. However by the same table a cat 2 hitch is used on 55-95 hp tractors. What about a 50 hp tractor ? Oh well... I guess if one manufacturer (Kubota) had success early on with compact tractors then all of the companies said we can sell lots of "compact tractors" too.
Ben

11-06-2002, 15:29 Post: 44681
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Does SAE define a sub-compact?

11-06-2002, 15:42 Post: 44682
slowrev

Filter by User

I don't know about SAE, but It would appear that the sub-compacts have a category 0 hitch. I read somewhere that the cat-0 hitch was added for the under 20 hp ones like the Gravely riders. The Category 0 hitch typically has a 1000 rpm PTO. The PTO shaft is usually smaller than the standard size too.
Ben

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 44668 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | BillMullens 3 | DRankin 5 | JackHerr 1 | JackIL 3 | jeff r 2 | jyoutz 2 | Pacesetter 1 | Peters 1 | plots1 1 | ryan 1 | slowrev 4 |

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres?
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres?
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23?
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours???
+ What size tractor do I need, Help!
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help! 60acres to bushhog
+ What Size Tractor For Harvesting Firewood

Most Discussion

+ Gear or Hydrostatic
+ Recommended tractor size and t
+ What to get? JD445, JD4100 or
+ JD 4100 v. BX series