JD 4100 v. BX series: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review JD 4100 v. BX series: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 10-14-2001, 11:43 Post: 32408
Paige

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 JD 4100 v. BX series

Hi, we are looking to by a subcomapact for our landscaping and have looked at JD & Kabota.. the boomer appears to be overkill for use (1.5 acres but steep hill). We want a front end loader (to haul gravel, wood etc) and also a mower. Has anyone done research on these 2? Have I overlooked something here? I grew up on a farm ww/ Ford, Massey, JD & Kabota but as Farm tractors--- I really want to compare apples to apples. Any thoughts?Thanks! Paige

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

10-14-2001, 15:01 Post: 32411
Bird Senter

TP Contributor

JD 4100 v. BX series

Paige, it's hard to recommend a specific tractor without knowing more specifics of what you need it to do, but for an acre and a half with a steep slope (how steep?), the BX sounds like a good choice; probably the most stable on a slope. Is the 400# or so lift capacity of it's front end loader enough for you? Of course, John Deere and New Holland (and some others) also make good tractors.

10-14-2001, 16:15 Post: 32413
Paige

Filter by User
 JD 4100 v. BX series

Thanks for the info- we have a 20' drop in about 20'... quote from the landscapers to terrace was ~ 40K. I'm looking for 3 terraces using concrete wall blocks. ALso we would use this to plow the driveway & Mow... I'm fairly keen on the Kabota hydraulics technology. It is a tough call to just buy a snowblower & a rider mower and forget the hill or get a nice little tractor we will grow with (we plan to up the acrage in ~10 yrs). We'd also like to spend under 15K.

10-14-2001, 20:43 Post: 32416
Griff

JD 4100 v. BX series

Don't get locked in on the big names. I just went through this same process and will be placing an order for a Power-trac. Will spend less but get much more than I could with a JD or Kubota solution. It also has more power (800 Lbs lifting), better ergonomics and has a better approach to attachments. There are other threads concerning about this line posted elsewere.

Link:   Power Trac web site. 

10-14-2001, 20:53 Post: 32417
John Mc

JD 4100 v. BX series

Paige -
The JD 4100 is a nice tractor for mowing, and some other uses, but may be a bit small for a big landscaping job. You could probably do it, but it will take a lot of time. If you want to go larger on a budget, you may want to check out the JD 790. It's JD's "price fighter" tractor. A bit heavier, and higher HP than the 4100 (2105# & 30 HP, vs 1565# and 20 HP). The 790 is limited in other areas (no hydrostatic transmission, smaller accessory hydraulic pump) but is a solid tractor.

New Holland is also coming out with a "budget" tractor, the TC30. Similar pricing to the JD 790. I guess similar features, but rumor has it hydrostatic transmission will be an option. From everything I've heard, it sounds like a great tractor.

10-15-2001, 06:12 Post: 32426
Art White

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JD 4100 v. BX series

The thoughts of either of those tractors doing that work is tiring. I'd have a contractor dig it out for the shelves and use your new trator to put it together with. I would recommend the BX for the yard you now have without any reservation except for what you want to do unless time is not a problem. A backhoe would also be needed to dig the footers for the wall supports unless you are in sand.

10-15-2001, 07:24 Post: 32429
Craig Dashner

JD 4100 v. BX series

I have a 4100 gear w/ loader and am happy with it. I use it to mow about 1 acre, and maintenace on 5 acres, maintaining and plowing 1/2 mile of private drive. This little tractor will do a lot!! I cant give you a Kubota comparison since I don't own one. I picked JD over Kubota based solely on dealers. Liked the JD dealer and disliked the Kubota dealer.

The tractor may not be best suited for digging for your wall project, but can do many other things. I have moved many yards of dirt, mulch, wood, gravel, etc with mine. Sure, it takes some trips to do it, but it beats the heck out of a shovel and wheelbarrow!!!! I've cleared a site for a detached garage (1 to 2 inch saplings and brush), striped the topsoil and leveled it for the slab and graded everything when it was finished. Next project is a driveway. You can go out and rent a dozer and do it in 2 hours or use a 4100 and do it in 8 hours. It all depends on you! Others here would not want to spend the time or worry about abusing/wearing out the tractor doing the job that another piece of equipment is better suited for (no offense to anyone). I don't mind, I bought it to be able to do the stuff, and given the time, it will do it!!

The two series tractors you mention will do you well. When deciding factor in the following: Dealer, is he going to give you good service? Attachments, ease of removal, putting on the loader, mower etc. Tractor itself, Is it comfortable to you, all controls within reach, easy enough to get on and off. I am sure there is more, but thats the main stuff.

Good luck!

10-15-2001, 08:22 Post: 32430
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JD 4100 v. BX series

If you want to comapare apples to apples you should compare the Kubota BX to the Deere 4100 and the Kubota B7500. The Deere 4100 and B7500 are about the same size. The Bx is much smaller in wheel size and much lower in ground clearance, much more like a souped up garden tractor.

10-15-2001, 10:38 Post: 32435
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 JD 4100 v. BX series

Yes to all the above. But the BX is superstable on the steep lot and it will run a backhoe where the 4100 will not.

10-16-2001, 13:04 Post: 32464
Joe A. Bell

JD 4100 v. BX series

I have a 4100 HST with loader, rear blade and mid-mount mower. I have done a fair amount of landscaping (flower and vegtable gardens) in which I have dug out three large holes of about 900 square feet to a depth of about 1.5-2 feet (using rear blade) and moving the dirt (using the front loader). While the size of the loader and tractor makes this job take longer than a larger tractor, it is probably much better at the job than the BX.
I looked at the BX before buying. While the BX is a neat little tractor, if you compare to the 4100 (easy for me since the local Kubota dealer also handles JD), or other similar sized tractors, you will notice that the BX is somewhat lighter. Look for example at the three point hitch; it is clearly lighter construction than the 4100. And, I seriously doubt that the front loader bucket is as heavy as the JD 410 loader. By the way, there you can get a backhoe for the 4100, just not from Deere. The loaders do have additonal frame support.
As for mowing, the BX and the 4100 should perform about the same. After all they are similar in HP.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 32408 Filter by Poster:
Al in Nova Scotia 3 | Art White 2 | Bird Senter 1 | Craig Dashner 1 | DennisCTB 2 | DRankin 6 | Griff 1 | jeff r 2 | Joe A. Bell 1 | John Mc 1 | Koby 1 | Mark G. 1 | MRETHICS 1 | Paige 2 | Rich Luhr 1 | Rick 1 | RPM 3 | SethO 2 | Stan 1 | Sternsher 1 | Ted@Abbeywoods, LLC 1 | TomG 3 |

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres?
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres?
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23?
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours???
+ What size tractor do I need, Help!
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help! 60acres to bushhog
+ What Size Tractor For Harvesting Firewood

Most Discussion

+ Gear or Hydrostatic
+ Recommended tractor size and t
+ What to get? JD445, JD4100 or
+ JD 4100 v. BX series