Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need help comparing new Compacts to 8n Ford

View my Photos
Mikem823
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-29          32113

Just found this msg board today. What a great wealth of information! Still having problems deciding what size tractor I need. Have been the proud owner of a '48 8n Ford for 9 years (but she's getting tired!). I move a lot of dirt with my 6' back blade, mow 4 acres with a 60" finish mower, plow a small garden with a 2x12" plow, and drill holes with a 12" PHD (not to mention the numerous other tasks I have her do to keep me from breaking a sweat!)Am planning on looking at John Deere and Kubota, but not sure what size. A local JD dealer is trying to talk me into a 4100HST 4WD. After reading all these postings, I'm thinking maybe 4200 and have no idea on the orange ones.Can anyone help me find a comparable tractor to my 8n in terms of power and capabilities? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-09-30          32119

Mike, your best bet is to visit the dealers and test drive some of the tractors. If you want a Deere, I think you're right to consider the 4200 over the 4100, and I'd suggest you start with a Kubota B2710 or B2910 (might even want to consider the L3010) and a New Holland TC29D (of course you might want to consider the TC25 and TC33s also). ....

View my Photos
Mikem823

2001-09-30          32126

Thanks for the input, Bird. Stopped by the JD dealer again to get a closer look at the 4200. To my surprise, I found a used 2000 model 4200 SST MFWD w/ 420 FEL and 104 hrs - very clean! They are asking $13,600. This is only $1,600 more than the 4100 they showed me (the 4100 had HST but no FEL). Sounds great to me, although the wife thinks HST would be more beneficial than the FEL. Their price on a new 4200HST is $15,000 and $2,400 to add a FEL. How does this sound to anyone else? ....

View my Photos
dwilson

2001-09-30          32127

Mike, I used a 1948 Ford 8N for 15 years, and while I still have great affection for it, I began to be aware of its very real limitations, not only in performance but in safety. Since buying a JD 4400 two and a half years ago, I have been truly amazed at the difference, particularly the incredible difference the HST makes. I would definitely urge you to try these machines out and buy according to your own taste and preferences. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-09-30          32128

Mike, the front end loader is about the handiest implement there is. I couldn't do without it. Of course nothing is absolutely necessary, but in my opinion with a front end loader on a small tractor, you sure want 4WD, power steering, and HST. ....

View my Photos
Mikem823

2001-09-30          32129

You guys are bringing me down! I was real excited about the used 4200 and didn't seem to mind the stick shift. About everything I hear, though, tells me that HST is the only way to go with a FEL. Oh well, I'll keep looking, but I'm not putting the stick shift out of my mind. ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-09-30          32132

Mike, there's nothing wrong with a stick shift, but if you do very much dirt moving with the front end loader (like I've been doing the past two days), it'll wear you out, or maybe wear the clutch out. Would you be happy with a stick shift car in big city, bumper to bumper, stop and go traffic? A few years ago, I did the backfilling around the foundation of my brother's house when we got it built. It was in a solidly wooded area and we only removed the trees we had to remove the build the house. At that time I just had a little Kubota B7100 and a neighbor with an 85 hp tractor wanted to help. In less than an hour, he had to quit because his clutch was smoking from changing directions, maneuvering among the trees, etc. I did the whole job with no problems with the HST. ....

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2001-09-30          32142

While I certainly do not disagree with Bird that a hydrostat is very handy for FEL work, I do not think it's essential. I have a 4100 gear model and I find that I'm able to do work with my loader very quickly. Shifting and clutching seems like 2nd nature after you get comfortable with your machine (I'm sure the hydro is much easier, but I don't miss what I never had). You would find the shuttle shift tranny on the 4200 even easier than the tranny I have on my 4100. My advice before writing off the 4200 is to see if the dealer would let you try it out on a dirt pile and see what you think. Then if a gear tractor is OK with you, I'd go look at a new JD 790. They're a tough basic tractor with more HP and cost less new than you'd pay for a used 4200. ....

View my Photos
steve arnold

2001-10-01          32150

Can you pull a wheelie with HST? ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-10-01          32152

Can you pull a wheelie with HST? Not if I can avoid it. Why would anyone want to, Steve? To answer your question though, probably not with the bare tractor, but if you have a heavy implement on the back, and no extra weights on the front, you can. Or of course, if you have good enough traction and doing something like dragging a lot that hangs up, you might (and of course you might also wish you hadn't). ....

View my Photos
Milton Williams

2001-10-01          32153

Ijust bought a JD 4200 sst about 5 months ago with 4 wheel drive and fel and have not had any trouble using the loader. With the stick trans you just have to be a little patient. I just sold the 49 8n I had for 30 years, and I miss it like a family member that passed on. By the way my 4200 is 2 years old with 119 hours on it and I gave 13,500 for it. ....

View my Photos
Mikem823

2001-10-01          32154

The saga continues! Drove a Kubota B2710 today w/ FEL. I really liked it! It was very comfortable, everything seemed to be in the right place (except for the turning brakes!) and the financing was better that JD. I have yet to drive a 4200, as I said before I've only tested the 4100. By the way, don't think the wife will LET me get a stick shift now that she's tried the HST! I'll keep you'all posted. ....

View my Photos
Elkoboy

2001-10-01          32155

Hello, Mike:

I bought a B2910 with the HST partly because I knew my wife would be operating it at times and it would be easier for her to use. Now I can't imagine having any other type of transmission. It's great for mowing, loader work and landscaping.

Good luck on your shopping! ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-10-01          32156

Mike, I think you're making the right decisions. I have a B2710 and spent 4.5 hours Saturday and 6.5 hours Sunday on it. I'd back up a big pile of clay, drag a box blade full to the bottom (repeated many times), pick it up with the front end loader and dump it in the back of my brother's Kawasaki Mule for him to haul and dump. I put 3 buckets full on each load on his Mule and with that amount of going forward and backward for that long at a time, I'd hate to even think about doing it with a manual transmission. ....

View my Photos
Mikem823

2001-10-01          32164

Seems like I'm pretty set on the B2710, although, I have one question. When plowing snow with my old Ford, I use the heck out of the turning brakes in Reverse. It doesn't seem possible to do this on the Kubota with all the pedals under the same foot and Cruise doesn't work for Reverse. Maybe it becomes a non-issue with the 4WD, I don't know... never had that luxury. Can anyone tell me if I am just thinking way too much? Thanks again, Mike ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-10-02          32165

Mike, I think with the 4WD, the turning brakes will be a little less important, but that's not to say that you won't sometimes wish you had them. It's a common complaint with Kubotas. Very rarely would I have a use for turning brakes, so it's a non-issue for me, personally, but I don't have snow to contend with in my part of the country either. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-02          32167

Mike you might want to look at the 2910 Kubota which has cruise control so your right foot is free in forward directions to turn with the brakes. I do agree with Bird as to how much you might need them with the four wheel drive. ....

View my Photos
Randy

2001-10-02          32170

Mike,

I also went through the oredal of comparing the new compacts to my 1952 8N, for sevearal years. I did purchase a new tractor this past July. When comparing the compacts to the 8N you can't go by horsepower alone. Weight is also a factor.
The 8N is 2WD, if you compare a compact of the same HP and weight in 2WD you will have to look at a larger HP compact tractor. The rear tire width difference between the compact's and the N series tractors is another thing you have to get used to. The 8N is a very stable wide stance tractor.

When you add 4WD to the mix the compact tractor of equal horsepower to the 8N starts to look beter. 4WD allows you to do things you only dreamed of with a 2WD tractor. You now can back out of situations especially with a bucket full of dirt a 2WD tractor can not.

I looked at the blue, green, and orange tractors compaired all the features, prices, and dealer service before I made my choice. I went with the Kubota L3000DT. This is an 8 speed geared tractor. Engine HP is 30 and it is close to the 8N in weight. I looked at the JD 790 and the NH TC33 both nice machines but I went with the orange one. I really like my Kubota and the manual transmission is something I had to work with before.

I was able to keep the 8N, I plan on rebuilding it at some point. I taught my wife to drive the standard transmission, no problem there. This website was very helpful in the decision making process. Look at the comments other owners have made about the particular tractor you are loking at.
Good Luck
Randy ....

View my Photos
Depdog

2001-10-02          32181

Hi Mike
I cannot help you comparing an 8n, but I can tell you how pleased I am with a JD790. I just bought one and have used the 4WD to get me out of tight spots. I have the regular shift and am used to that from using a friends JD855 (older mdl.) The JD855 is a good tractor and has a loader(5') and no power steering. The JD790 is slimmer and shorter and the power steering is WONDERFUL. I am still Learning and need advise on a possible loader problem. The loader drops slightly (while in the locked position) when I have been mowing, It only drops a few inches,4-7. Any info. would be nice.I am new to chat rooms excuse any errors. Thanks in advance. John ....

View my Photos
Mikem823

2001-10-03          32192

I've made my decision (well, my wife LET me go with my decision) to get the Kubota B2710 w/ FEL. I checked with three different dealers and luckily, the one I liked most of all gave me the lowest price! I've just got to make the final arrangements and it's MINE! Thanks to all who have been so helpful. I'll let you know what I think after I've had it for a few days. PS - anyone want an 8N? ....

View my Photos
Milton Williams

2001-10-06          32232

reply to John on the loader dropping when in the locked position. I am sure this is the same as the 420 loader on my 4200, according to the owners manuel this is built in to allow the loader to drop slowly when not being used. I will reread my manual and send another note. ....

View my Photos
Depdog

2001-10-06          32253

Hi Milton
Thanks for the information. I am still waiting on an owners manuel for my JD790.
I had hoped it was normal for the loader to drop a little, and will check if/when I get the manuel. I have learned alot from this website and all of the folks who have been answering questions posted on it. I still have 6 months left on the warranty and have been looking for any problems, so far none.I guess thats not too bad for buying a used tractor.
Thanks John ....

View my Photos
Depdog

2001-10-06          32254

Hi Everybody
I have been reading all the replys on comparing compact tractors to an 8N and understand most of the codes, but what is FEL ?????? What is HST ?????

Thanks John ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-10-07          32256

John: FEL = front-end loader & HST = hydrostatic transmission. Those are fairly universal acronyms. Others have variable or proprietary meanings. For example, GST can mean gear standard transmission or glide shift transmission. SST can mean shuttle-shift transmission or super steer. Some of these have to be understood in context and with some knowledge of what manufacturers call some of their features. Others just seem to be spontaneous and used to reduce the length of posts. For example, I have seen LPTO for live PTO. ....

View my Photos
Mikem823

2001-10-14          32410

Well, I finally committed! I've ordered a Kubota B2710HST w/ LA402 FEL!! I don't know how I'll stand it waiting until it's delivered, though. Wanted to thank everyone for their input. Don't know how I would have made the decision without it! - Mike ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-10-14          32412

Mike, I think you'll be happy with that B2710. I've only got 335 hours on mine, but I've been very pleased with it so far. ....

View my Photos
Mikem823

2001-10-19          32535

Got the tractor! So far I love it! I'm gonna attempt to provide a link to some pictures here but am not sure if it'll work. Thanks again to everyone who helped me reach my decision. - Mike ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Need help comparing new Compacts to 8n Ford

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login