Go Bottom Go Bottom

Buy Tractor to maintain under 2 acres

View my Photos
Dhickey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2015-04-12          192531

I am looking for a garden tractor to mow and garden on 1.6 acres. Will possibly need to level off some small areas and drag/clean limbs in areas. I'm currently looking at several tractors online trying to decide which to go look at. Need advice on price and reliability.

1) $2800 Yanmar 1700, 17 hp 2wd tractor w 4 ft fishing mower and 4 ft bush hog

2) $2800 Shibaura 14/1400 14hp diesel compact tractor. 4sp.hi/lo range and 540/1000rpm PTO w 4 foot tiller

3) 2003 Farm Pro 200 Series Tractor, 2 Wheel Drive (2WD), 20 Horsepower, 2-Cylinder Diesel Engine, 3 Forward & 1 Reverse w/Low High x 2, 540/1000 PTO

4) $5000 1946 9N Ford 12volt tractor for $2500 5) Massey ferguson 35 w finish mower, bush hog, blade and tines

5) $3500 Ford 1220 w belly mower and blade

New to all this so I need help!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Dhickey

2015-04-12          192532

Well I see several mistakes. First it's 1.6 acres not 16 and I posted 5 tractors, not 3. Still need advice. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-04-12          192538

Small acreage, small tractor, scut is almost to much to justify but would easily handle it. For some that you show you would use the better part of the yard to turn it around! ....

View my Photos
Dhickey

2015-04-12          192542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art White | view 192538
Small acreage, small tractor, scut is almost to much to justify but would easily handle it.For some that you show you would use the better part of the ...

"Scut"? ....

View my Photos
mcavvie

2015-04-13          192545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickey | view 192542
"Scut"? ...

Sub Compact Utility Tractor ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2015-04-13          192554

Dhickey,

Of the tractors you are looking at, I'd probably go with the Yanmar 1700.

Yanmar has been making John Deere's compact tractors for many years. They make a great product. Yanmar's diesel engine is legendary. It is used in 1000s of pieces of equipment, such as generators, pressure washers, concrete equipment, paving machines.....you name it.

14 horses would be plenty for your needs, but I'm no fan of the off-brand stuff.

Best of luck to you.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2015-04-15          192558

You also need to be aware that if the turf you want to keep cut is intended to be fine finished lawn you will have some issues with this plan.

First, tires, if you have turf tires you will be kinder on the turf, but you might have issues with mud, gardening or bush-hogging.

Second, a 3pth mower means both front and back tires have driven over, and pushed down, before the mower ever gets to it. If the grass is not kept cut regularly this will leave straggly rows of grass uncut or at least longer than the rest.

Also a SCUT will not be as comfortable on slopes than a smaller lower mower like a riding mower would be. Things like cutting ditch banks in particular come to mind.

Food for thought.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2015-04-15          192559

Suggestions you have been given are good.
Be sure on those brands you can get parts. Farm Pro here is hard to get parts for or was recently. Don't just ask the brand but also the model number as all models of tractors are not USA models and therefore parts can be issue even for a name brand tractor.

On cutting grass, Murf is correct on using rear mower and even tires tearing grass at least under the right situation. I have used a much larger tractor with ag tires with good success on my yard, when dry. I have used a compact with loader tires when wet with better success than even pro mower with turf tires but let me add that is zero turn mower and when ground is wet hard not to tear the grass when turning with those mowers. If you have decent ground, stay off when ground is wet, ag tires with slow wide turns will probably be fine, well at least are for me.

One issue not sure has been address is what is in your garden? If you will want to use the tractor to cultivate the planted garden then tractor clearance will be a big issue. Sitting on flat ground measure the clearance and then subtract how high of rows you will have by the time you plow them say twice. Now your plants must be in the difference left. Lets say the tractor is 14 inches clearance, your row height is say 4 inches your plants have 10 inches of clearance. Some plants will bend a good bit and could even be 18 inches high but other corps will break off before bending so you have the firm 10 inches. Also a 4 inch bed is a very small bed if you use the tractor to cultivate, each time you do the bed gets higher (or does with most plowing) and the middle where the tires run get lower as dirt is moved to the plants.

I think you need to look at what you need for each job, rule out those you can not easy get parts for, then select the best combo. Do not overlook what Murf said about mowing on slopes if you have slopes, the higher the tractor and you on slopes the less safe you are.

Hey on tractors, be sure you can get the attachments for the size tractor you are considering before you buy. I would stay with Cat One for my lift and you want a lift that is not all the way up or down for the garden. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2015-04-15          192560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhickey | view 192531
I am looking for a garden tractor to mow and garden on 1.6 acres. Will possibly need to level off some small areas and drag/clean limbs in areas. I'm currently looking at several tractors online trying to decide which to go look at. Need advice on price and reliability.....

First of all the tractors you list are not what I call Garden Tractors, rather Compact Tractors. I changed the subject for that.

It sounds like you have some one time projects and a long term mowing requirement.

The prices you quote are highly depreciated from original new cost, which means that their maintenance free years are long long gone. So have your tool set ready or be ready to spend $$$ to get it fixed.

If your garden is small I think you would be better off not buying such large old Tractor.

Rent a Kubota B series or similar for the one off jobs for a day or weekend. Rent a Tiller once a year for the garden. And buy a zero radius front mower for the lawn.

Or if you have to have a small diesel tractor get a used Sub Compact Kubota BX or similar other make Sub Compact Tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login