Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Jeff H.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-15          18854

Looking into the compacts I have questions on whether or not I should go with Deere or New Holland? Deere is nice but reading about front axle problems and valve problems I wander if the super steer, swivel seat, and new joystick for the TC35D is the way to go. But then I think about resale, will people be looking for a deere or something blue and will they go for function or color?Please help in aiding my decision on how to spend my money, not that I am in a hurry, I am researching before I buy.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-08-15          18859

I purchased a 1999 John Deere 4600 4 wheel drive with front end loader and have
nothing but trouble from the mounting bolts of the front wheel drive and wore out 2 sets of front tires account the gear ratio on the front and rear wheels are out sync. MY advise look to buy any other tractor beside JOHN DEERE. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
william

2000-08-15          18860

JEFF, I HAVE HAD A NH35D FOR ABOUT A WEEK. USED A 6 FT. BUSHHOG FINISHING MOWER ON A VERY STEEP HILL WITH THICK GRASS THAT HAD NOT BEEN MOWED THIS YEAR. NO LACK OF POWER WHAT SO EVER. I HAVE THE 16LA LOADER. I AM IMPRESSED WITH WHAT IT WILL DO BUT I NEED TO GET A LOT MORE EXPERIENCE. MY DEALER TALKED ME OUT OF THE SUPERSTEER. I WAS WORRIED THAT I HAD MADE THE WRONG DECISION BUT SO FAR I HAVE BEEN VERY SATISFIED WITH HOW SHARP IT TURNS. IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU COULD TRY BOTH FRONT AXLES BEFORE BUYING. AFTER COMPARING THE JD AND NH THE ONLY REASON I COULD COME UP WITH TO PURCHASE THE JD WAS THE QUICK DISCONNECT BUCKET AND THE GREEN PAINT. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-08-15          18861

Jeff I have had my JD4400 with 430 loader since December 1999. the only problem I have had was with the front axle. It was changed in March. I have since add a JD48 backhoe. The tractor now has 93 hours on it. All the tractors being built now have the new front axle and the other problems upgraded. I believe that the reason JD had so many problems the 4000 series was that they rushed them to market without doing the proper field testing. An issue they have learned from by delaying the release of the new garden tractors. As for the New Holland, I did look at them when shopping for tractors. There were just more things I liked about the John Deere tractors, even taking into account all the problems people reported they were at the time. If I had it to do all over again, I would buy the same tractor from the same dealer. Chris

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
David B.

2000-08-15          18864

I just went through this exercise and ended up with an Orange Kubota L3010. You might be looking at the next engine size up.
Kubota tractors have very high resale value in my area and there appear to be very few problems with them. They also currently appear to offer similar features for less money than Blue or Green.
Any reason why you don't mention them as an alternative?

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Peter Accorti

2000-08-15          18865

Jeff, I have a TC35D with 16LA loader too (no supersteer either). Dealer didn't talk me out of it; I just didn't want (or need) supersteer. Tractor is great! I have 30hrs on mine. It handles a 6' rotary cutter just fine for me. With liquid rear tire ballest and wheel weights (150 lbs per wheel) it digs like a champ even without a toothbar. One thing I really appreciate about the NH is the great ergonomics. Seat is extremely comfortable; lots of travel to soak up bumps. Controls are all placed well. Also the NH has the brakes on the left side where they are more useable in my opinion. Check the specs but I think that the NH has the greatest loader capacity (with a 4 link bucket too). It also has (I think) the highest implement hydro pumping capacity. For me, it came down to the Kubota L3010/L3410 and the NH TC35D. I thought I had a little better value with the NH. Good luck. E-mail me offline if you want to talk more. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Bradey

2000-08-15          18868

How wide is the TC35D (or 40 or 45 for that matter)? The specs on the web and printed brochure says 47.5" at rear (tires dished in). This must be a misprint, right? The 33D and others from this line (25 and 29) say they are 54.3" (wider?!). From the brochure the TC35D strikes me as a *much* bigger machine than the TC33 et al. How would it be in tight woodland trails? I guess with that much machine you could always make the trail wider. :-) ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-15          18869

Jeff--both tractors appear to be excellent choices, providing that you purchase a JD that has recently been built as opposed to one built a year ago or longer. The operating controls, seat and 3pt. sway links appear to be superior on the Boomer. My JD 4400HST has not been very trouble free, as I have previously posted here in which I have stated that in 140 hours and a year and a half, it has had: new transmission, rebuilt PTO, new brakes, new front end and still periodically has problems with major loss of power and dropping RPMs on level roads in road gear as well as leaving stripes of uncut grass from its belly mower and the forward pedal sometimes still is a little lazy about coming back up when my foot is removed so it keeps on going for a few extra feet before stopping. After the brakes were replaced, the right axle seal leaks transmission fluid. As I have previously stated, in the more than a year and a half of ownership, this engineering marvel has only been fully trouble free for about 10 percent of its total hours in managing my three acre yard. THAT 10 percent was a wonderful experience and during that brief interlude, it was awesome. Obviously I am a frustrated JD owner that wishes he had kept his previous Kubota that, during its ten years of happy and proud ownership, was trouble free for 99.999 percent of the time (tachometer cable broke). My JD 4400 HST was a $20,000 mistake for me. Good luck in your decision. Mike S. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Peter Accorti

2000-08-15          18870

Bradey, I have R4's on my TC35D. A 6' rotary cutter just barely peeks out beyond the tires. I'd guess the width is around 68". I'll try to measure tomorrow for sure. The TC35/40/45 are much larger than the 25/29/33 series. Hard for me to say how it would be on trails.. do you want to tread lightly or not? Personally I like the larger size. It's more comfortable to me. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-08-15          18872

Jeff,

I recently just purchased the TC40D after considering the alternatives. Since there were no Kubota dealers in my area I did not consider them. The decision came down to the JD4600 and the TC40D. I went with NH and the TC40D for the following reasons:
- The dealer is very service oriented
- NH has not had a track record of major engineering issues like JD
- Ergonomically the TC series is more friendly. My wife is willing to use the TC40D as the controls are easier to see and use. The JD is more tractor oriented with controls on the dash, between the seat and fenders, and on the fenders.
- SuperSteer. Turning radius is great for mowing -- without tearing the lawn to shreds
- 3pt implements easier to hookup due to extendible lower link ends and crank-type leveling
- Swivel seat is great for rear work. Seat turns 20 degrees right or left. A real neck saver.

DavidV ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-16          18879

David, did you get a mower with your TC40D? The 84" midmount mower is the type of mower I am looking for. I am curious as to how this mower performs. I am looking for comments from CTB members. Terry, ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Bradey

2000-08-16          18885

How do you mount the 84" mower? Does it slide in from the side (and if so with how much effort) or do you drive over it with the front end like I've read here you can do with some Kubota/mower combinations? ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-08-16          18888

Terry and Bradey,
Did not get the midmount mower. Have a 72in rear finish mower (that I used in the past with my 9N). May decide to get midmount if my wife wants to do the mowing as it would act more like a "lawn tractor". From what I've seen at my dealer the NH mower is not as easy as the JD4xxx to mount and remove. The deck seems to be heavy and not too easy to slide underneath. If you have a front loader you could use the bucket pivot to lift the front wheels up giving more clearance room for the deck to slide under.
DavidV ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
william

2000-08-16          18894

BRADLEY MY 35D W/R4 IND. TIRES IS ABOUT 68 INCHES. THE 35D ALSO HAS WHEELS LIKE THE AG WHEELS WHICH GIVE YOU MULTIPLE WIDTHS. I DON'T BELIEVE THE JD OR KUBOTA DO. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2000-08-16          18906

My Kubota L3710 with R4's has several different settings for rear wheel width. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
dwilson

2000-08-17          18908

This board has been so useful to me and there has been so much criticism of the JD 4000 series that I feel compelled to report on my experience. I bought a JD 4400 HST with 410 loader in June 1999 and now have 120 hours on it. Although I had used a Ford 8N for years, I was new to modern compact tractors. My experience has been totally positive. My tractor is terrific. Every time I have read about a problem with the JD 4000s I have checked my tractor, and I have never found anything wrong with mine. As you can tell from the hours, I don't work it terribly hard -- weed mowing, dirt moving, fence building, wood hauling -- but it has truly been a joy to use. Incidentally, I had brake problems all the time with my 8N, and I notice brakes are a frequent subject here on this board. But astonishing as it seems, especially for someone operating in very hilly country, I rarely use have to use my brakes at all on the 4400, except for the turning brakes. Taking my 8N into the hilly woods used to be a real adventure, but with the 4400's HST, the accelerator pedals are all I usually need. This tractor is very responsive, very strong, and very dependable. It starts as quick in January as it does in June. I'm sure there are a lot of good tractors out there, but I'd buy another JD in a minute. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-08-17          18916

I have to agree with Doug -- I bought a 4400 in Sept. of '99, and had no trouble, except for the front axle, which I discovered in this board. After talking to my dealer, and him to JD, I was GIVEN a new 4400 in March of this year, with new axle, etc. (I'm sure the dealer took the credit allowance from JD, and resold my old unit, etc., so it was a "win-win" for us both. But the dealer picked up my old machine, mounted the loader on the new one, and delivered it in two days!) I now have about 75 hours on the new one, and it has been GREAT! I bush hog about 7 acres of pasture, load dirt, manure, rototil a garden, scrape a lane, plow drainage ditches, dig post lholes, etc., and, obviously am a big Deere fan. However, I'm sure the NH has good points too. BUT I'd consider the dealers heavily in the equasion -- they're the ones who you'll likely be contacting -- not the Mfr. Good Luck, and enjoy whatever you buy! ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-17          18923

I had a JD 755 for two years, liked it some much I bought a JD 4700. I love the tractor and all the implements. 78 hrs. and haven't had a problem yet. I think JD has solved most of the problems they were having with the 4x series (thats what happens when you rush a new product to market)and IMHO John Deere is still #1 in the market place. Look back through history, (I may be starting something here) but has JD made a "DOG OF A TRACTOR" yet? David ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-08-17          18927

dsg,In anwser to your question, yes and no. I do not know of a DOG tractor made by JD. But they did make a DOG ride on mower, namely the SX85. I am about to take a $1000 loss on that deal. Other than that financial mistake, I have been very pleased with the 4100 and LT155. I have not been pleased with the dealer. Regardless of what color you choose, the dealer is probably the most important part of the equation. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-17          18928

Doug in Wisc--I am delighted (seriously) that you have had great success with your JD 4400 tractor--you deserved to get the value for which you paid. Since you would be willing to buy one in a minute, I would be willing to sell mine in less than a minute--want another one?? Mike S. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Dave Barber

2000-08-17          18930

I went through the same choice in spring 4400 or 35D. I choose the the 35D. IMHO the 35D is built better with better features. If dealers are both excellent, I'd place my money on NH. Terry and Bradey..I have the 84" deck. It slides in from the side which would work fine if you don't have the loader brackets on. With the loader brackets on you have to lift the front end with the bucket to get the mower under the tractor. Once under the tractor it attaches in about 15-20 min..first time it took me about 30-45min. I have been very impressed with the quality of cut..of course it can't match a mower specific machine but its close enough for my yard. If you have any questions let me know dweeb@voyager.net ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Bill Gardner

2000-08-17          18936

I recently went through the new tractor shopping arena.Looked at JD 4000 series and the NH tractors.I ended up buying a JD 990 MFWD with R-4 tires that are loaded and front weights.I also purchased a 613 JD rotary cutter.I now have 20 hours on the tractor and cutter all have been at PTO speed.So far both have done a great job.If you can live without the HST check out the JD 90 series tractors.Good luck BILL ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2000-08-18          18946

I have had a 4300 with loader, backhow and belly mower for a little over a year [130 hours]. The PTO leaked, a loader hydraulic connection came loose and sprayed fluid, the BH had a leak and does again, and the lug bolts on the rear tire came loose with some falling out. And there is the axle issue but that is not a problem for me.
The dealer has fixed the problems under warrenty with no question. It has still been slightly annoying to be without the tractor from time to time.
BUT - I looked again at the Kabuta and like the JD layout and features better. I looked at the blue ones also and still liked the Green better although it was close. Major deciding factor was an obnoxious dealer.
So despite the problems I still like my green machine and would do it again the same way. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
dwilson

2000-08-18          18951

Mike S. Sorry, I can't use two at the same time. Sounds like yours was a real lemon and no fun at all. But if you have new brakes, new transmission, etc. as listed, you should get a good price or trade-in, as these tractors are in high demand and have great resale value. Once bitten, twice shy, and nobody would blame you for trying another color. But given the huge success of the JD 4000 series, I'm guessing that most owners have an experience more like mine than like yours. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
Jeff

2000-08-19          18984

I recently bought a new JD 4400 HST,I have put 58 hours on it in about 6 weeks,doing nothing but bushhogging lots of heavy brush in these West Virginia hills,we have a plant here called multiflora rose,the state planted out here about 40 years ago for a natural fence,they didnt think it would spread on its own,but this stuff is found on every farm in the state,I have backed into ten ft high piles of this stuff,I have nothing but praise for the JD 4400 (so far)although I wish I had the heavier brush hog,I have the 513 and it is way too light. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
william

2000-08-19          18987

jeff, i live in northern ky. we have the same rose problem. have found no real good, cheap answer to the flat tire problem. i have a hyd. top link which allows me to raise the mower up and lower in onto the rose bush. also works good on thorn trees we have in this area. they will destroy rear tires for a couple years after mowing untill the thorns soften up. ....

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

View my Photos
JeffM

2000-09-01          19364

I have had my 4400 with 430 loader and 48 backhoe since April 2000. It has the new axle. I love the tractor. The only problem I have seen is a fuel guage that isn't accurate (dealer is fixing under warranty). Although I experience a little hydraulic drift on the backhoe valve over time, it does not compromise the amazing performance of this backhoe/tractor setup. My reasons for going green were that I wanted a setup where I alone could attach/detach a loader, backhoe, and belly mower (next year) quickly and easily, but have all three implements compatible with each other. For example, if I wanted to mount the backhoe and loader for a quick job I don't have to remove the belly mower. JD is the only one among the pack that allowed this level of ease and compatibility. I think that the JD loader and backhoe on this size tractor are the best around, except for Kubota B21 or L35, which are specialty machines that won't take a belly mower. I also have a great dealer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login