JD4400 or Boomer TC35D: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review JD4400 or Boomer TC35D: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 08-15-2000, 11:45 Post: 18854
Jeff H.

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

Looking into the compacts I have questions on whether or not I should go with Deere or New Holland? Deere is nice but reading about front axle problems and valve problems I wander if the super steer, swivel seat, and new joystick for the TC35D is the way to go. But then I think about resale, will people be looking for a deere or something blue and will they go for function or color?Please help in aiding my decision on how to spend my money, not that I am in a hurry, I am researching before I buy.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

08-15-2000, 15:12 Post: 18859
Kenneth W Spriggs

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

I purchased a 1999 John Deere 4600 4 wheel drive with front end loader and have
nothing but trouble from the mounting bolts of the front wheel drive and wore out 2 sets of front tires account the gear ratio on the front and rear wheels are out sync. MY advise look to buy any other tractor beside JOHN DEERE.

08-15-2000, 15:48 Post: 18860
william

Filter by User
 JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

JEFF, I HAVE HAD A NH35D FOR ABOUT A WEEK. USED A 6 FT. BUSHHOG FINISHING MOWER ON A VERY STEEP HILL WITH THICK GRASS THAT HAD NOT BEEN MOWED THIS YEAR. NO LACK OF POWER WHAT SO EVER. I HAVE THE 16LA LOADER. I AM IMPRESSED WITH WHAT IT WILL DO BUT I NEED TO GET A LOT MORE EXPERIENCE. MY DEALER TALKED ME OUT OF THE SUPERSTEER. I WAS WORRIED THAT I HAD MADE THE WRONG DECISION BUT SO FAR I HAVE BEEN VERY SATISFIED WITH HOW SHARP IT TURNS. IT WOULD BE NICE IF YOU COULD TRY BOTH FRONT AXLES BEFORE BUYING. AFTER COMPARING THE JD AND NH THE ONLY REASON I COULD COME UP WITH TO PURCHASE THE JD WAS THE QUICK DISCONNECT BUCKET AND THE GREEN PAINT.

08-15-2000, 16:18 Post: 18861
Chris in IN

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

Jeff I have had my JD4400 with 430 loader since December 1999. the only problem I have had was with the front axle. It was changed in March. I have since add a JD48 backhoe. The tractor now has 93 hours on it. All the tractors being built now have the new front axle and the other problems upgraded. I believe that the reason JD had so many problems the 4000 series was that they rushed them to market without doing the proper field testing. An issue they have learned from by delaying the release of the new garden tractors. As for the New Holland, I did look at them when shopping for tractors. There were just more things I liked about the John Deere tractors, even taking into account all the problems people reported they were at the time. If I had it to do all over again, I would buy the same tractor from the same dealer. Chris

08-15-2000, 18:41 Post: 18864
David B.

JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

I just went through this exercise and ended up with an Orange Kubota L3010. You might be looking at the next engine size up.
Kubota tractors have very high resale value in my area and there appear to be very few problems with them. They also currently appear to offer similar features for less money than Blue or Green.
Any reason why you don't mention them as an alternative?

08-15-2000, 21:09 Post: 18865
Peter Accorti

Filter by User
 JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

Jeff, I have a TC35D with 16LA loader too (no supersteer either). Dealer didn't talk me out of it; I just didn't want (or need) supersteer. Tractor is great! I have 30hrs on mine. It handles a 6' rotary cutter just fine for me. With liquid rear tire ballest and wheel weights (150 lbs per wheel) it digs like a champ even without a toothbar. One thing I really appreciate about the NH is the great ergonomics. Seat is extremely comfortable; lots of travel to soak up bumps. Controls are all placed well. Also the NH has the brakes on the left side where they are more useable in my opinion. Check the specs but I think that the NH has the greatest loader capacity (with a 4 link bucket too). It also has (I think) the highest implement hydro pumping capacity. For me, it came down to the Kubota L3010/L3410 and the NH TC35D. I thought I had a little better value with the NH. Good luck. E-mail me offline if you want to talk more.

08-15-2000, 21:52 Post: 18868
Bradey

Filter by User
 JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

How wide is the TC35D (or 40 or 45 for that matter)? The specs on the web and printed brochure says 47.5" at rear (tires dished in). This must be a misprint, right? The 33D and others from this line (25 and 29) say they are 54.3" (wider?!). From the brochure the TC35D strikes me as a *much* bigger machine than the TC33 et al. How would it be in tight woodland trails? I guess with that much machine you could always make the trail wider. Smile

08-15-2000, 21:55 Post: 18869
Mike S.

Filter by User
 JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

Jeff--both tractors appear to be excellent choices, providing that you purchase a JD that has recently been built as opposed to one built a year ago or longer. The operating controls, seat and 3pt. sway links appear to be superior on the Boomer. My JD 4400HST has not been very trouble free, as I have previously posted here in which I have stated that in 140 hours and a year and a half, it has had: new transmission, rebuilt PTO, new brakes, new front end and still periodically has problems with major loss of power and dropping RPMs on level roads in road gear as well as leaving stripes of uncut grass from its belly mower and the forward pedal sometimes still is a little lazy about coming back up when my foot is removed so it keeps on going for a few extra feet before stopping. After the brakes were replaced, the right axle seal leaks transmission fluid. As I have previously stated, in the more than a year and a half of ownership, this engineering marvel has only been fully trouble free for about 10 percent of its total hours in managing my three acre yard. THAT 10 percent was a wonderful experience and during that brief interlude, it was awesome. Obviously I am a frustrated JD owner that wishes he had kept his previous Kubota that, during its ten years of happy and proud ownership, was trouble free for 99.999 percent of the time (tachometer cable broke). My JD 4400 HST was a $20,000 mistake for me. Good luck in your decision. Mike S.

08-15-2000, 22:15 Post: 18870
Peter Accorti

Filter by User
 JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

Bradey, I have R4's on my TC35D. A 6' rotary cutter just barely peeks out beyond the tires. I'd guess the width is around 68". I'll try to measure tomorrow for sure. The TC35/40/45 are much larger than the 25/29/33 series. Hard for me to say how it would be on trails.. do you want to tread lightly or not? Personally I like the larger size. It's more comfortable to me.

08-15-2000, 22:29 Post: 18872
DavidV

Filter by User
 JD4400 or Boomer TC35D

Jeff,

I recently just purchased the TC40D after considering the alternatives. Since there were no Kubota dealers in my area I did not consider them. The decision came down to the JD4600 and the TC40D. I went with NH and the TC40D for the following reasons:
- The dealer is very service oriented
- NH has not had a track record of major engineering issues like JD
- Ergonomically the TC series is more friendly. My wife is willing to use the TC40D as the controls are easier to see and use. The JD is more tractor oriented with controls on the dash, between the seat and fenders, and on the fenders.
- SuperSteer. Turning radius is great for mowing -- without tearing the lawn to shreds
- 3pt implements easier to hookup due to extendible lower link ends and crank-type leveling
- Swivel seat is great for rear work. Seat turns 20 degrees right or left. A real neck saver.

DavidV

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 18854 Filter by Poster:
Bill Gardner 1 | Bradey 2 | Chris in IN 1 | Dave Barber 1 | David B. 1 | DavidV 2 | Doug Huebner 1 | dsg 1 | dwilson 2 | Jack D 1 | Jeff 1 | Jeff H. 1 | JeffM 1 | Kenneth W Spriggs 1 | Larry in MI. 1 | mbjacobs 1 | Mike S. 2 | Peter Accorti 2 | Terry Weivoda 1 | william 3 |

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres?
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres?
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23?
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours???
+ What size tractor do I need, Help!
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help! 60acres to bushhog
+ What Size Tractor For Harvesting Firewood

Most Discussion

+ Gear or Hydrostatic
+ Recommended tractor size and t
+ What to get? JD445, JD4100 or
+ JD 4100 v. BX series