Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Holland VS Kubota VS Massey

View my Photos
yoshimura
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-04-27          170360

Hello, I'd like peoples opinion before going ahead with a purchase.

Here are my three choices:

- 2007 New Holland TC 26DA
- 2004 Kubota BX23
- New Massey Ferguson GC2410

The purpose is to dig a few meters deep with the backhoe all around my house.

I was wondering about JD as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-27          170366

None of the machines are designed to do what you want to (ab)use it for. And the other reason---even the were designed for it---would end up leaving a hole 2-3 times the size a mini-excavator will. The reason is you cannot get the swing point close enough to the wall and still be able to dig and dump spoils. And you can't put down both downriggers which are necessary. You want a mini-excavator with "zero house turn" or clearance AND the ability to allow the digging arm to do what is called "backhoe function" which means the "house" (basically the engine/cab) can make the digging arm swing 60-90 degrees to the right to the house AND then turn the house another 60-90 degrees which end up allowing you to dig right along side the basement wall. Where I live I can rent a mini-ex for less than $300 a day. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-04-27          170368

The first hour will be learning. The second, lots of fun. Then, it's work. But after a day or two you'll be done. Which will leave you lots of time to wonder what else you'll do with that machine you spent so much on. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2010-04-28          170392

Those machines will only dig two meters deep straight down! I'd find a excavator for rent! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-04-28          170395

You asked for suggestions between those tractors, I will passed on that also.

It would be a help to tell how close to the house you will be digging. How wide you want to dig or need to dig. Also when you say a "few" meters how many do you mean, a number range would be better.

If you wanting to dig only, excavator sure beats any TLB. Depending on depth and width needed a trencher is also great. If you are far enough from the house for the outriggers the TLB does offer the front end loader benefit. I would check the specs and back off the max digging depth by a foot at least. Also since you are looking at used machines pay some attention to the bucket. Just because it has a certain width bucket does not mean it will handle that width in your dirt and it also might not be a digging bucket but probably will be.

Renting a machine is low cost compared to buying and hiring is lower cost compared to damaging house. If you are looking to price for rental don't take a daily rate and figure that would be price for say 7 days as weekly is less and monthly is less than 4 weekly rates would be. At risk of being rude and don't mean to if you are installing draining ditch here be sure you know the proper materials and steps. I know, it is no fun to install drain tile to have to come back later to do it right.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login