How old/many hours is too much?: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review How old/many hours is too much?: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-20-2007, 22:01 Post: 142266
kigmatzomat

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 How old/many hours is too much?

Hi there.

I'm in the process of setting up about 6 acres of pasture for horses. We're on a bit of a budget so I'm thinking of buying a used tractor, which I know is trading power now for maintenance costs later but I'm willing to take a reasonable risk on a bigger, older tractor to ensure I have a decent platform to handle unexpected issues.

The initial scan of the newspaper and local sales forums show tractors going back to the 1950s and with varying number of hours of use, with the higher numbers having rebuilt engines. We'll have a number of rare jobs (i.e. replacing fence posts) where I'd like to be able to rent attachments.

My questions, which are hopefully in the right thread, are

1) how many hours of operation should make me concerned about the tractor's longevity and/or need for a rebuilt engine?

and

2) How old can a tractor be and still have a reasonable likelihood of getting parts and attachments?

2a) When did category I hitches become the norm or have they pretty much always existed alongside the PTO?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

05-21-2007, 06:03 Post: 142273
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

kigmatzomat; You speak of wanting an older larger tractor with a Cat one three point. The old Ford 8N's and 9N's were probably the first tractors with a cat. one three point that was pretty much standard equipment. they are still a popular tractor that will likely have parts available for a long time to come. The reasons you have for wanting a tractor like an 8N keep them bringing a lot of money for a good one yet today. Unfortunately even the 9N only had about 23 horspower, about equal of a smaller compact today, so they are older but by no means larger. I have no idea what kind of budget you have to work with, but you can get lucky and find a 60's or 70's 40-50 HP. tractor with the things you want on a auction, but if it is a good one there will be lots of bidders, and I have saw emotion make a nice tractor on a warm sunny Saturday bring twice what it was worth, so it is easy to get caught up in that sort of thing. Unless you are handy with repair you could end up spending more than a later model used Blue, Green or Orange tractor from a dealer that has put it thru the shop, and possibly some warranty with it. Especially in used I'd stick with the major brands I've mentioned, they all have good dealer networks and will have parts and service for your tractor for a long time. Best of luck. Frank.

05-21-2007, 08:20 Post: 142275
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Look up "Buying Tips" from a few days ago here. There was some very good suggestions on used equipment.
Some states' Dept of Agriculture have ads for farmers to buy or sell their equipement directly. Check your state on this. Normally on their web site. Sadly pay attention for stolen equipment. It is out there. kt

05-21-2007, 10:13 Post: 142277
AnnBrush

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

About once every 3 months there is a massive auction of tractors (hundreds) and equipment held near Indianapolis. It's advertised in Farm World Newspaper which I subscribed to before buying my tractor. You would do well to get in on that action. I cant remember the name of it but it's something like "so and so Brothers auction"

05-21-2007, 10:53 Post: 142279
kigmatzomat

Filter by User

Thanks. The land we're looking at is almost table-top flat and 95% of what I'll be using it for is mowing. I've got an ATV and a few tow-behind attachments which will get that done.

But that means that when I need some serious work done I'll hire someone to dig fence posts, drag/split fallen trees, and dig or clean out a pond. I'd much rather own my own rig, if for no other reason than it's more comfortable than the ATV.

05-21-2007, 10:54 Post: 142280
kigmatzomat

Filter by User

Double thanks for the info on the Indianapolis tractor sale. We're getting situated in Memphis, Indiana, which is about an hour south of Indy.

05-21-2007, 11:47 Post: 142283
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I'm not that good at composing replys,(I hated English class in school, never did figure out what a noun, and all those other things had to do with milking cows, or greasing a baler.) so sometimes I leave out things I meant to say even tho I always proofread a post at least twice before I'll submit it. When I mentioned checking with some dealers about used Green, Blue, or Orange tractors, I neglected to say that I meant compact utility tractors like a Deere 4300, or equivalant size in the other two major colors. I really think you would find a full size farm tractor to be far to clumbsy for your needs, and so many attachments are now available for the compacts that don't really fit a full size farm tractor real well. Nuff from me. Frank.

05-21-2007, 12:09 Post: 142284
AnnBrush

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I Just remembered the name, its Ted Everett auctions and their website is listed below. The next auction is Friday June 1, as usual it's a biggie.

Link:   Click Here 

05-21-2007, 12:37 Post: 142285
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

As an example I have a MF135 which is a '65-'68 gas model with 4200 hours. It requires periodic maintenance and burns a little oil. It don't look fancy but does the job. For occasional use, it is ideal but for the individual that requires it for everyday use, they may want to consider something just a little newer.

From your description of uses, a tractor like that, or a JD or International may be just what you're looking for. In our area parts availablility for the JD or Case/IH are the best.

05-21-2007, 15:02 Post: 142293
kigmatzomat

Filter by User

Wow, that's a big list of tractors. I wish that was a month later, that's the weekend we're supposed to be moving furniture into the house. Besides, I'd have to do a lot of homework just to figure out which ones to bid on!

I'll definitely bookmark the site for next year's auction as it would definitely be a good place to get attachments.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 142266 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 2 | cowpie1 1 | EGasoos 1 | hardwood 2 | kigmatzomat 4 | kthompson 2 | Murf 1 | yooperpete 1 |

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres?
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres?
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23?
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours???
+ What size tractor do I need, Help!
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help! 60acres to bushhog
+ What Size Tractor For Harvesting Firewood

Most Discussion

+ Gear or Hydrostatic
+ Recommended tractor size and t
+ What to get? JD445, JD4100 or
+ JD 4100 v. BX series