4100 enough for me?: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review 4100 enough for me?: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13061
Paula Freyer

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 4100 enough for me?

Hey everyone. I need help. I own a small horse farm - about 20 acres and am destroying my little JD 445 - I definetly need something bigger. Want to mow a lot, drag my riding ring, plow snow, run a little manure spreader, etc. and don't know if the 4100 is sufficient. Not even sure if I should buy a JD or if a NH or Kubota would work just as well. You know there are tons of web sites that list invoice prices for every car/truck and every conceivable option, why can't I find similar sites with invoice prices on new compact tractors? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because whatever tractor I buy next, I plan on keeping for a LONG time. Thanks!!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13064
Harry Webster

4100-enough-for-me?

Paula, I just went through exactly what you are describing. We have a 10 acre horse farm and was sold a 445/40 loader last year as being the answer to our needs. The 445 was a nice little tractor, but I was beating it up trying to keep up with all the barn chores, plus the cat 0 three point hitch was too little to put a post hole digger on or pull much of a brush hog. To make a long story short, we upgraded to a 4100/410 loader and 413 rotary cutter this past Saturday. It handles my flexible tine harrow that I use to drag the arena with ease, I opted for the 61" bucket to speed up the manure chores, and pulls my Mill Creek spreader like it isn't there. The only limitation to the 4100 that I can see is that it will only handle a 48" brush hog, though it can handle a 60" finish mower. The step up from 445 to 4100 is considerable, both in performance and price. I got a fairly decent trade in for the 445, but I had to go to three different dealers to get it.
HarryW

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13069
gerard

4100-enough-for-me?

I was in the same boat as you. We have an 11 acre small horse farm and settled on a 27hp Kubota w/ 60" loader. Seems to be a good size and in general can handle 5ft implements. Also something to consider is going larger you pay considerably more for implements. ie a light duty 5ft bushog is $500 but to go to a 6ft you're looking at $1000. I drag the arena with a 6ft rake with no problem and have a 5ft box blade which it handles with no problem. I definitely wouldn't go with a smaller loader. You should be able to get something new in the $15000-17000 range depending on who you go with. I'd be comfortable with either orange,blue or green. Depends on who's closer and is willing to deal the most. One thing I did find is that if you're going to keep it awhile buying used doesn't save much $. Good luck

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13085
PaulB

4100-enough-for-me?

Paula - I have 10 acres, 7 horses, indoor riding arena, lots of manure to move, old fence posts to pull out, snow to plow, etc, etc. I have a 17 horsepower Kubota, and it does it all easily. Your 4100 should be more than enough tractor, but by all means MAKE SURE you get the hydrostatic transmission - it is infinately superior to a gear transmission in my opinion.
PaulB

02-22-2000, 00:00 Post: 13091
Don

4100-enough-for-me?

Paula, I will be trading a like new 4100 to a dealer in NY soon. Just deciding between red and blue. How much are you going to mow? A 4' hog isn't very big. You may want to go the next size tractor.

02-25-2000, 00:00 Post: 13155
Paula Freyer

Filter by User
 4100-enough-for-me?

Guys - thanks millions for the input. I'm still not sure exactly what I'm going to do but I'm leaning towards a 4200 (I want the 6' finish mower and I understand that the 4100 can only handle a 5')if I go with JD but I'm still going to check out the K and the NH. If $ wasn't an issue, I'd buy the JD in a heartbeat but...unfortunately, my name isn't Ivana (smile!). I really do appreciate your advice - thanks again. Paula

02-27-2000, 00:00 Post: 13196
Kevin in KS

4100-enough-for-me?

Have you considered the JD 790? I'm getting one delivered this week, best compact tractor JD makes for the money. But it all depends on what you are going to use it for as to how big is big enough.

02-27-2000, 00:00 Post: 13205
SteveofNJ

Filter by User
 4100-enough-for-me?

Paula, Just a quick comment. I believe the 4100 can not take a backhoe, and a 4200 can, so if you plan on any backhoe work, go with the 4200.

Also, I have a 790 and it can handle a backhoe with no trouble. I plan on getting a Woods hoe this spring (soon as money allows. The 790 is a bigger machine than the 4100, and is much more of a machine when viewed side by side. Also, the 790 4wd with 70 loader and turf tires and ballast box can be had for $13,700.00 or so. Gear vs Hdry. is not an issue unless you can't drive stick shift Smile

Still love my 790 after many snow storms. Too bad winter is almost over....

02-28-2000, 00:00 Post: 13219
Paula Freyer

Filter by User
 4100-enough-for-me?

Kevin - I checked out the 790 on the JD web page - it might be just want I need at a reasonable price - how come I never heard anyone else mention this model? Must not be a big seller - and if that is indeed the case, makes you wonder why. If anyone knows of any problems with the 790, PLEASE warn me! Also note that JD actually quotes a price under $11K on the page I've shown here!
Thanks again! .....Paula

Link:   Click Here 

02-28-2000, 00:00 Post: 13221
SteveofNJ

Filter by User
 4100-enough-for-me?

Ummm! Maybe you should look at some threads on this board. The 790 has been a topic of many conversations. It is JD answer to the Kubota people. It is a 30hp Compact with a 70 loader for around $13,700.00 I have one, although I paid 14,700.00 for mine, and I can't stop bragging about how happy I am.

Further more, just becuase you haven't heard of the tractor doesn't mean it isn't any good. The 790 is for the person who wants the most for his money, and doesn't need the little bells and whistles of the 4000 series. Apples for Apples it is a better machine then the 4100 and can handle a backhoe with no problem, something the 4100 can not offer. Other than that, the HP of the PTO is 25HP which is better than anything Kubota has in this price range. Not to consider the 790 would be a big mistake. If someone could show me a better machine for the price, I would have bought it.

Good luck, and know you have heard of the 790.

PS, you may not buy a 790 for under 11k as they say on the web. If you want the loader you need some plumbing that isn't included in the price, as well as turf tires and mid PTo I think is additional. Once again, it is a great machine.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 13061 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 1 | cutter 2 | Don 1 | gerard 1 | Harry Webster 1 | Jerri Neese 2 | Kevin in KS 1 | MichaelSnyder 1 | Norm 1 | Paula Freyer 4 | PaulB 1 | sam compher 1 | SteveofNJ 4 | TomG 2 |

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres?
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres?
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23?
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours???
+ What size tractor do I need, Help!
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help! 60acres to bushhog
+ What Size Tractor For Harvesting Firewood

Most Discussion

+ Gear or Hydrostatic
+ Recommended tractor size and t
+ What to get? JD445, JD4100 or
+ JD 4100 v. BX series