Skid Steer or Small Tractor: Size Tractor Needed  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review Skid Steer or Small Tractor: Size Tractor Needed -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-10-2000, 00:00 Post: 11833
Mike Pirotte

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Skid Steer or Small Tractor

I am trying to decide weather to get a Bobcat 773 or a small tractor (i.e. JD 4400 - 4600). Generally mowing is not an issue and it seems that there are many attachments for both. I am trying to find out what the plus or minuses are between the two.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

01-10-2000, 00:00 Post: 11836
Chris in IN

Skid-Steer-or-Small-Tractor

Mike having grown up on a farm & working in the construction business for the past 25 years I have seen a lot of skid loaders used although it was always on concrete, dirt or in livestock yards. So having recently purchased some acreage my son borrowed a skid loader from a friend to move some mulch. The first time he made a turn in the grass and left a scuff marks that that look like hogs had been rooting in the pasture I decided this was not for me. So soon after that experience I purchased a JD 4400 & 430 loader. I like it much better than the skid loader. It just depends what you want to use it for & were you are going to use it. Chris

01-11-2000, 00:00 Post: 11842
lsheaffer

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

True, There many attachments for both, but there are a couple differences in the attachments. The skid steer attachments will be more exspensive & less readably available used. Powered attachments will have to be hydraulically driven, which will require more hp than pto driven. If you are looking at used & repairs down the road, the compact is generally easier to work on. For moving materials & in tight places the skid steer is great.

01-11-2000, 00:00 Post: 11844
Roger L.

The 3pt hitch is what a tractor is all about. Now I've seen 3pt kits for skidsteers, but not very often. Years ago when building a set of corrals, a buddy and I rented a skid steer and borrowed a compact tractor for a weekend. So we had both of them to compare. The skid steer was way more fun to use. On anything except the smoothest concrete it is a lot like a ride at the amusement park.....after half an hour of use in the pasture the driver would emerge from the cage staggering and laughing and with ears ringing from the roar of the engine.
Its easy to see why the construction equipment companies sponsor a Bobcat Rodeo, and the best the tractor guys can counter with is a "pull"... Boring...
My buddy and I both bought tractors after that. They make more sense, are lots more useful, safer, and are almost as much fun. But I won't forget that skidsteer...

01-11-2000, 00:00 Post: 11846
By the Brook Farm

I was also considering a skid steer but went with a tractor for several reasons. First was resale, around here (Maine) a clean used tractor is an easier sell than a skid steer, simply because the potential customer base is much larger. Tractors (especially green ones) look great sitting in a barn. A tractor can do more than a skid steer and the attachements are easier to find. Bought a JD4600 w460 loader and 48 backhoe for lot clearing, foundation digging, stumping, installing a septic system and cutting in trails and a driveway. One heck of a machine that I use hard every weekend. You might look at the new Advantage Series tractors from JD, they are full sized utility tractors (5105) that cost the same or less than a 4600. I would have bought one of those if they were available last summer.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Size Tractor Needed Forum

Thread 11833 Filter by Poster:
By the Brook Farm 1 | Chris in IN 1 | lsheaffer 1 | Mike Pirotte 1 | Roger L. 1 |

Most Viewed

+ How big a tractor to farm 20 acres?
+ What is needed to bushhog 6 acres?
+ Small Acreage - New Holland TC24D or Kubota BX23?
+ Rotary cutter hp
+ tractor hours???
+ What size tractor do I need, Help!
+ JD 790 vs Kubota L2500
+ Best compact landscaping rig
+ Please help! 60acres to bushhog
+ What Size Tractor For Harvesting Firewood

Most Discussion

+ Gear or Hydrostatic
+ Recommended tractor size and t
+ What to get? JD445, JD4100 or
+ JD 4100 v. BX series