Poison Ivy Remedies: Tractor Safety  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review Poison Ivy Remedies: Tractor Safety -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Safety Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 04-26-2006, 13:07 Post: 128365
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Poison Ivy Remedies

Well the Ivy is growing fast and wild this time of year here. I mowed into some with the trim mower and ended with the clippings all over me.
Does anyone know of folk remedies that involve hot water and soap? I worked with ADC the material you make most ophthalmic lenses from and the way to limit the reaction was to wash with water as hot as possible the area coated and then wash with soap. ADC chemical structure is similar to the oil in poison Ivy. This is what I did yesterday and have no patches today. I have tried it before with mixed success, but may not have got it in time or not used hot enough water. It needs to be scalding hot.
The grease removing orange soaps work well. Some of the specific soaps for poison Ivy are the same bases.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

04-26-2006, 13:54 Post: 128367
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Poison Ivy Remedies

Folk remedy no, but two I've used succesfully were "Mane & Tail" horse shampoo, every good at stripping the oils, and the special doggy shampoo for getting rid of skunk spray.

Although I'm told by my resident homeopath (my missus) that Jewel Weed, which should be a native plant in your neck of the woods is an excellent cure.

Best of luck.

Picture Link
Tractor Safety: Poison-Ivy-Remedies

04-26-2006, 16:37 Post: 128374
shortmagnum

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Poison Ivy Remedies

Some time ago my dad used to work for the highway department and spent his summers mowing along the county roads in NW Wisconsin. He said there were times when the sickle bar was just dripping with poison ivy juice and he had to handle it for repair. His remedy was to instantly wash his hands and arms in gasoline after handling it.

It sounds a little strange now in our environmentally safe way of thinking but it supposedly works. I think it qualifies as a "folk remedy." Smile
Dave

04-26-2006, 16:46 Post: 128376
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Poison Ivy Remedies

I would not know I can use it as toilet paper and it would not cause any itch. Just thought I would have to rub that in a little.

04-26-2006, 17:00 Post: 128377
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Poison Ivy Remedies

OA that's too funny. We had a VERY GOOD LOOKING YOUNG FLAGGER jump over the bank and squirt the dirt. She grabbed a hand full of bushy vines to wipe the dribble off... She was out of work for 3 weeks. You oughta heard her husbands side of the story...blisters the size of 50 cent pieces... Not to mention he was outta luck for much longer...

Oak and Ivy do not bother me either. BUT I'm not gonna ever test it there either.

04-26-2006, 18:06 Post: 128382
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Poison Ivy Remedies

If I think I have been exposed to PI I take double or triple amounts of antihistamine. This works too if I get stung by a bee or wasp---If I figure I'll get stung brush cutting, I'll take the antihistamines beforehand.

04-26-2006, 18:28 Post: 128384
SG8NUC

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Poison Ivy Remedies

The oil in Poision Ivey is urushiol you may not have a reaction at all. The next time you come in contact with it it will eat you up. When you cut the stalk or vine it will produce an oil that will turn the stump end of the vine black and will last a long time.
I cut and carried oak logs out of the woods under my arms. I cut the vine with the chain saw, I never saw a poison ivey vine 1 1/2 inch thick no leaves did not even know what it was. The oil got on the coveralls soaked through and covered me from my arm pit to my waste two days later I had a rash in the same place. I slept on a towel to soak up the weeping. In the morning the towel was soaked and part of the bed. Trying to save the coveralls I soaked them in gas, washed them alone with soap in the washing machine. The next time I wore the coveralls I was in the same fix. Arm pit to waste. So dont bet on the gas.
My father used Baking Soda, he rubbed it into the affected area, broke the top of the bumps, and caked on the baking soda. This is painfull, but it stops the weeping and lets a scab form. Tecnu Skin Cleanser this is a two part treatment that worked very well. Let hot water run on the affected area (this feels greaaaaaaaaaaat!!!!!). The hot water uses up all of the Histamines which causes the itch. Then apply the medication. It will not stop the weeping but will stop the itch so you can sleep.
I had a large spot on my chest when I was a child, we had a vacation at the beach. I would not come out of the water because I did not want anyone to see. The next day it was almost gone. The waves and the salt water did the trick. This was by far the best cure.

From My archives

04-26-2006, 20:15 Post: 128390
ncrunch32

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Poison Ivy Remedies

I used to get poison ivy all the time as a kid. Then after working on apple farms where I was in the poison ivy all the time I became resistant to it. I rarely have any effects from poison ivy any more.

04-26-2006, 20:48 Post: 128393
JimP

Poison Ivy Remedies

I get Poison Anything bad if I come in contact with it, and I can feel it coming before it breaks out. If it is anywhere near my face, I proceed immediately to the Doctor's, do not pass GO, do not collect $200, and get a prescription for Prednisone (oral tablet). This is a super steroid used to deal with everything from Poison Ivy to sarcoidosis. It basically works like super-strength Benadryl (like someone else mentioned) and dries out the Poison Ivy from the inside out, rather than trying to dry it out with something topical (calamine lotion is useless and RhuliGel helps a little). Relief is almost immediate and and I am dried out (before any oozing) and starting to heal in 3-4 days, as opposed to 2 weeks or more of oozing before anything starts drying out by itself. It is a prescription but Prednisone has been around forever, and my script is usually less than $2. I have dealt with bad cases of Poison Ivy my whole life, and this is by far the best remedy I have found. Prednisone is not for everyone, especially people with liver problems, diabetics, or people who have problems with bleeding. Your doctor can let you know whether or not it is for you.

04-26-2006, 21:15 Post: 128398
Peters

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Poison Ivy Remedies

Poison Ivy as Phil said is a sensitizer and the allergic reaction can get worst or better. Normally worst.
In general the darker your complexion the less likely you are to react.
I have not heard of the Jewel Weed, but we have used catnip to dry up the reaction on my son. It definately will stop the reaction on the surface.
I think the hot water and orange cleaner works if you can do it quickly.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Safety Forum

Thread 128365 Filter by Poster:
Art White 1 | DRankin 2 | earthwrks 1 | harvey 1 | Iowafun 1 | JimP 1 | kthompson 1 | Murf 3 | ncrunch32 1 | oneace 1 | Peters 2 | SG8NUC 2 | shortmagnum 2 | yooperpete 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Roll Over Safety
+ Tractor Theft Prevention Techniques
+ utility pole guy wires
+ Tractor tipping?
+ What's the least tippy on slopes a Garden Tractor
+ Replacement seat belts?
+ Freaked out about rollovers
+ Poison Ivy Remedies
+ ROAD GRADE ?
+ Kubota Keys being sold on E-bay

Most Discussion

+ Freaked out about rollovers
+ Tractor Roll Over Safety
+ Living in the Fire Zone
+ utility pole guy wires
+ Tractor tipping?
+ HELP!! Snake in the house
+ Tractor Theft Prevention Techn
+ Poison Ivy Remedies
+ Tractor went out of gear.
+ UPDATE - Snake in the House

Newest Topics

+ Lift pins comes loose
+ jd 5220 clutch peddle adjustment
+ ROAD GRADE ?
+ DRIVE COGS
+ Man Dies in Skidsteer Accident
+ Replacement seat belts?
+ How old is new
+ Playing Nice?
+ Relative Fuel Safely
+ Poll: How many have removed the rear PTO guard?

Turbochargers for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Cab Glass for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Alternators for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Radiators for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Driveline Components for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Starter Motors for Tractors and Industrial Machines