Attempting to install a well: Tractor Projects  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review Attempting to install a well: Tractor Projects -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-19-2004, 01:02 Post: 96810
grassgod

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Attempting to install a well

I have been looking at 3 pnt hitch post drivers & I am starting to think maybe I can install a well with one. I just bought some land that I am going to build a vacation cabin on & in the meantime will park a camping trailer there, so I will need water supply. It appears that if I buy the pipe in maybe 8' sections & just keep coupling it together, I could pound it in the ground with one of these post driver attachments? anyone ever use one of these? Is this a do-able project? It will most likely be temporary & not for drinking. Just bathing & washing dishes, mixing concrete...etc.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

09-19-2004, 05:30 Post: 96814
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

I've heard of it being done, although I don't know if a 3pd PHD was used nor do I know anything about them. I suppose that hitting a rock would be a big problem and I'm not sure how the pipe end was unclogged--capped and pulled it back up after it was driven maybe.

I think these things usually have low capacity and I'm not sure I'd count on it for mixing concrete without testing the flow rate first. The flow really is the recovery rate since the water volume in a pipe is small. Surface water wells are highly variable even those near-by can be very different. It might be good to check with the neighbours if there are any dug wells around for recovery rates and late summer water depths.

09-19-2004, 05:46 Post: 96816
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Grasgod; If we're thinking of the same thing, then around here they're called "Sand Points". I've never helped install one but I know that lots of them were put in our little hometown years ago and most are still being used. We've never had a municipal water system, but have a sewer system now. I don't think you can replace one that's gone bad anymore because of health laws, all new wells have to be drilled and have a steel or now plastic casing. If I recall correctly my inlaws well in town had a sand point that was only about 20 ft. deep, but there subsoil was pure sand and about 300 ft. from the river. Our house is about a mile further away from the same river and we had to drill almost 600 ft. for enough flow. So back to your question, I'd be sure to check county code first. If the code is ok and you have a sand subsoil it probably will work. I really don't recall what type of pump the inlaws had, but they allways seemed to have enough water. Ther are others on the board who can tell you tons more about this, so I'll let them take over from here. Best opf luck. Frank.

09-19-2004, 06:19 Post: 96819
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Thanks Hardwood, I remember the term 'sand point' now. It stands to reason there'd be a regular method to get the point off the end of the pipe. An implement for a one-time use may be more expensive than hiring a few young backs.

Suction pumps are good for about 25' but flow diminishes with depth. I don't know what diameter pipe is contemplated but our neighbour's jet pump was pumping from 70' - 90' in a 6" casing. A jet pump does require two lines and a Ventura unit that will fit into the pipe.

Surface water wells can be strange. At our camp two dug wells are maybe 300' apart and both are about 20' deep. A new standard raised 66' township road was put in maybe 200 yards behind us. Our well is fine but the other well goes dry during most of the summer.

09-19-2004, 06:39 Post: 96820
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User

TomG; The more we talk about "Sand Points" the less I seem to remember, but I've saw lots of old "Sand Points" that had been pulled up and thrown in the junk pile. Working with a dim memory, here's what I remember them being. They were made of brass about 2-3 ft. long had a point on the bottom then the sidewall above the point was perforated with zillions of little holes maybe 1/16 th., then threads on the top for the pipe to screw onto. They really weren't that big in diamater, I'm guessing 1-1/4 to maybe 1-1/2 pipe. I'm trying now to remember what kind of pump would have worked. I think we need halp. Frank.

09-19-2004, 08:23 Post: 96824
grassgod

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

This is a good start so far, thanks. I have been considering both "hand dug well" (sounds like thats what you have at your camp tom) as they commonly call it or a "sand piont" well. Sand piont well sounds like less work & sounds neater meaning less mess, less piles of fill but will use which ever ends up being most economical or easyier to install.

09-19-2004, 14:33 Post: 96831
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Another term is a driven well. They have lots of points designed for them. If you are not to rocky (soil) you can make one your self.

The key to using the tractor is to attach a car rim to the right hand wheel and lock the brake on the left side (right side jacked up). You need to set up a large tri-pod with a pully. A 5-6 foot piece of pipe large enough to fit over a "Drive Cap" on the driven pipe a couple of large weights attached to the driver. (we use railroad rail welded to the pipe with a thick slab welded over the top). Use the wheel as a windlass and release the tension on the rope and the weight will drive the pipe. You can add in sections as you go down.

When you find water pump it hard and you can pump out the muck and you will have a resivor.

Good luck! Harvey

09-19-2004, 18:44 Post: 96836
grassgod

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

harvey - this sounds interesting. Couple of questions - how tall should the tripod be & were do you position it exactly? second question is how do you use the weights? you siad you use rail road rails...were do you place them? DO you think it would be possible for you make a drawing of this & post it?

09-19-2004, 20:44 Post: 96839
Archdean

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hi Grass,
I only drove one sand point and it was a galvanized one made for 2" pipe (looked like a RPG Rocket grenade)with heavy duty couplings and designed for 4' sections of 2" pipe and a detachable heavy duty cap which you removed and reinstalled and pounded the hell out of it again and again actually got it to about 18' and about 3 gal/min not bad , but I'll never do it again it is about 50' behind and up the bank from pic #4....
Good luck.. Note you must use the heavy couplings (non cast, milled from solid stock)or it will all be for naught!!

Dean

09-19-2004, 21:02 Post: 96841
grassgod

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Thanks Dean. That is pretty much what I had in mind of doing. Were did you purchase the pipe & caps etc.. do you think home depot would carry it or should I go to a specialized plumbng store? secondly, what made you pick the spot you picked? A friend of mine told me to get a divining rod but my wife said thats a bunch of hogwash.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Thread 96810 Filter by Poster:
Archdean 5 | AV8R 6 | beagle 2 | grassgod 8 | hardwood 2 | harvey 3 | jimbrown 1 | shortmagnum 1 | TomG 3 | yooperpete 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Hydraulic Top Link
+ Digging farm pond
+ Info on Honda 6522 Compact Tractor
+ Magnatrac Crawler Review
+ Farm Bridge over seasonal creek
+ Home made cab
+ Calculating hydraulic tonnage rating
+ Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185
+ Temporary patch to hydraulic line?
+ Price Check Kubota L235

Most Discussion