Anyone ever use a ROPS?: Tractor Projects  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review Anyone ever use a ROPS?: Tractor Projects -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-05-2001, 19:14 Post: 27791
Roger L.

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Anyone ever use a ROPS?

Well, tractors have had ROPS on them for a quite a few years now. I'm wondering how many folks have put one to the test.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

05-06-2001, 06:33 Post: 27793
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Anyone ever use a ROPS?

I haven't, but many of my uncles could have used them. Most retired from farming following tractor flips. Fortunately there were no serious injuries. However, the ROPS has contributed to my safe operation. I use a loop of chain around the lower end of the ROPS for a safety chain when raising my 3ph forks to a vertical. Same thing would work for posthole augers.

05-06-2001, 08:07 Post: 27798
Mark E. Lamprey

Anyone ever use a ROPS?

I haven't owned my tractor long enough to have much experience with a ROPS and I really don't want the day to come where I can see just how well it will work. Thinking back many years to the tractors I grew up on and around, 8N's, Farmalls C's, John Deere B's and we had one newer International with a Sims open cab. I don't think myself or my Father ever gave much thought to a roll over type accident. Of course I was only a young boy who just thought it was great to be able to operate the tractors. I will say that having a ROPS and knowing it is there gives me the same feeling of comfort as wearing my helmet while mountain biking. Neither a helmet or a ROPS is an excuse to disregard common sense and safety, but it is a comfort knowing that if the Defication hits the Rotary Oscillater, I will stand a better chance of survival. Mark

05-06-2001, 14:20 Post: 27815
eric

Anyone ever use a ROPS?

WELL PUT MARK .LIKE THE TERMINOLOGY . ERIC

05-07-2001, 13:14 Post: 27846
steve arnold

Anyone ever use a ROPS?

yes! but in a 1979 jeep cj-7Smile, but seriously ROPS (in my opinion) are only useful if you are wearing the seat belt, on the other hand, I wouldnt wear a seat belt if the tractor did not have ROPS.

05-07-2001, 13:31 Post: 27848
Elkoboy

Anyone ever use a ROPS?

The ROPS (roll over protection SYSTEM) includes both the rollbar AND the seatbelt. Using one without the other negates the safety of the system. And if you think you can jump clear of a tractor as it rolls while not wearing your seatbelt, you're playing Russian roulette. You MIGHT be able to jump clear, but then again, you might not. Rolling a tractor with a rollbar and not wearing a seatbelt is just asking for the rollbar to crunch you too. Wear your seatbelt!

05-08-2001, 08:06 Post: 27880
Ken Butner

Anyone ever use a ROPS?

This discussion thread really brings back some memories to me. I am a former Paramedic and a certain EMS call involving a tractor rollover vividly sticks out in my mind. The gentleman was using a Ford 8N (older tractor - no ROPS), doing something we have all probably done before. Something that you would never think you could get hurt doing. Freaky as things can be, the tractor flipped upside down on top of him. His son and grandchildren found him hours after life had passed away. Before we could extricate the man's body from under the tractor, there was a crowd of emotionally distraught family members at the scene. Over the years I served in emergency services, of all the things I have seen, all the things I have had to do, this one call will always stay in my memories.

I guess this was a time of wake up for the tractor daredevil that I had always been. On the farm, I was placed in a tractor seat at the age of five or six. I had to put my back against the front of the seat to push the clutch in. Growing up, I was trained by some of the best daredevils (relatives) in the community. As a teen and young adult, I took more than my fair share of chances and survived some tricky close call situations. Never received more than a scrape and a few bruises. The good Lord kept his hand on my shoulder and I am thankful for that.

Since that EMS call, I have turned over a new leaf. Its so easy to make a mistake, even when trying to be careful. Folks, please be careful. If you have to rush to get something done, maybe you should just wait until another day when you have more time. Its better to take twice as long to do something that to have to send your family and friends to a funeral. There have been many killed due to tractor accidents. Don't let those who have died, die in vain, lets all think safety in our actions and utilize your ROPS (that includes wearing your seat belt). If you have an older tractor without ROPS, go to your local dealer and see if they have a ROPS kit for the older makes or they may have information/sources to help you find a kit. Take care, have FUN tractoring, BE SAFE, and enjoy LIFE! -Ken

05-08-2001, 13:06 Post: 27902
William Dawson

Filter by User
 Anyone ever use a ROPS?

Amen to the seatbelt/rops system. I live in W Va and wouldn't be without it. I have survived to age 50 only because i was luckier than some of the farmers i hav seen as a paramedic. Use the system!!

05-09-2001, 07:33 Post: 27962
TomG

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Anyone ever use a ROPS?

My used Ford 1710 came with ROPS and canopy, but no seat belts. I ordered a set of belts from NH, but there was no obvious place to anchor them--I really didn't want to remove several case bolts, which seemed the only likely places. I finally installed the belts using small clevis pins and c-rings around the heavy fender support rods. That's either a good solution and suggestion for older tractors, or maybe somebody will tell me if it's a bad idea. I have had visions of a flip tearing off a fender and me ending up with a seatbelt corset.

05-15-2001, 19:29 Post: 28225
BillBass

Filter by User
 Anyone ever use a ROPS?

I just installed a ROPS on my JD 950. Research on the net finds that rollovers are the leading cause of tractor related deaths. The numbers vary but in general there are about 150 deaths per year from tractor rollovers in the US. One site stated that the chance of survival without ROPS was less than 25%. With ROPS, it was greater than 85% (assuming you use your seat belt!).
Most of the major tractor manufacturers are in a program to provide ROPS at cost.
I sure feel a lot better mowing on slopes with mine.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | 4 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Thread 27791 Filter by Poster:
BillBass 2 | Bird Senter 1 | Clyde Booth 1 | Elkoboy 1 | eric 1 | Geno 1 | Greg franklin 1 | Jack PA 1 | Ken Butner 1 | Mark E. Lamprey 1 | MarkS 1 | Murf 5 | Randy Eckard 1 | Roger L. 4 | steve arnold 1 | TomG 7 | turfman 1 | William Dawson 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Hydraulic Top Link
+ Digging farm pond
+ Info on Honda 6522 Compact Tractor
+ Magnatrac Crawler Review
+ Farm Bridge over seasonal creek
+ Home made cab
+ Calculating hydraulic tonnage rating
+ Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185
+ Temporary patch to hydraulic line?
+ Price Check Kubota L235

Most Discussion