Converting a 3pt finish mower to front: Tractor Projects  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review Converting a 3pt finish mower to front: Tractor Projects -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-22-2007, 10:28 Post: 148611
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Converting a 3pt finish mower to front

I'm looking at buying a used KK 3pt finish mower. I' need to mow under trees, up to and around some ponds and mow some berms. Having the mower rear mounted tends to allow the CUT tires to lay down the grass. Recently someone posted an 8N with a woods belly mower. It uses what I think would be need to start getting the PTO out to the front to drive the possibly front-mounted mower. I can fabrictae pretty much everything I need to make it work aside from a gear box. I have a MM PTO but I'm thinking it's too fast to use. Anybody have thoughts/ideas on this?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

11-22-2007, 10:39 Post: 148612
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

My Kubota B7610 uses a ground engaging belly mower I also have the front sub frame for the snowblower with the hydraulics for lift and float. Seems like that set up would give you the easiest path to sticking that deck out front. If you could find the same stuff used for whatever tractor you intend on using.

11-22-2007, 11:26 Post: 148616
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Jeff, every old tractor that drives a belly mower I've ever seen either belt drove a jackshaft that drove a pulley on the input shaft of the mower decks 90 gear box, or (most commonly) just belt drove the decks gear box off a front pulley on the tractors motor.

To shaft drive a belly mower off the rear PTO is a PITA since the mower needs to be facing 'forwards' in order for the blade rotation and deck shape to maintain correct air flow & clippings direction along the contours not against them. This means you either have to spin the gear box 180 and drive it with a double reversed direction PTO shaft, once to get it going forwards, another to get it back to the proper clockwise rotation, or belt drive it off a jackshaft.

As a wise old engineering prof. taught me years ago, nothing is impossible, but lots of things are just too expensive to be practical.

As both an engineer & a fabricator, I can tell you, by the time you do the necessary work, you may as well just go out and buy a Ferris or some other FMM, it will be faster and cheaper.

Best of luck.

11-22-2007, 15:59 Post: 148622
JAZAK5

sounds like you need to trade the tractor for a VENTRAC or a STEINER they both have front mounted mowers like anything else theres a will theres a way. how about a rear pto hydraulic pump and reservoir and use a hydraulic motor to drive the gear box. Modify a skid steer brush hog ,they use direct hydraulic motors OR just mow backwards/ kidding of course Wink yeah right

11-22-2007, 20:05 Post: 148628
hardwood

TP Contributor

EW; I've been toying with the idea of a side mount system for a RMFM to mow the slopes of ditch banks while driving along the road. For simplicitys sake I would like to keep it on the three point of the tractor and power it with a hydraulic pump on the mid PTO of the 4310 and a slave motor on the mower deck. I don't know if my setup would work as well for mowing under trees, bushes, etc. as a front mount, but puting it on the three point would simplify mounting, (I've never had the FEL off my tractor). I have most everything needed, pump, motor, valves, resirvoir, etc. hydraulic wise but haven't got a second RMFM yet, I'm watching the dealer lots for a used one. keep us up to speed if you get something going. Frank.

11-22-2007, 22:06 Post: 148632
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I thought about a full-hydraulic system but I was trying to get away cheap on this. I saw a Woods(?) set up on eBay that like Murf mentioned used a jackshaft off the rear PTO. I used a really long belt going all the way from the rear PTO under the machine and out the front. In short the belt was routed through idler pulleys. It was all mounted on a 4x6-ish beam fron to back. You just backed up and over the front-mounted mower and over the beam then hook up to the 3pt, hook up the belts and yer off. If I can't find one long belt then two or three running around a double pulley would work too. And the belt(s) could be criss-crossed to get the right rotation coming off the PTO. Frank you could the same thing but off the back with a longer jackshaft to get the belt past the rear wheels. Where the mower goes it could be pivoted in such a way the the pivot area would be aligned with the belt idlers to kep constant tension, which is waht I will have to consider if mine is to go up or down in the front under power (cutting), versus not getting power when raised as the final belt loses tension.

11-23-2007, 09:02 Post: 148646
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Jeff, in THEORY you could make up a double sheave B section pulley that slipped right over the PTO output shaft on the back of your tractor and then just using idlers and tensioners run the belts down and under and then forward to the mower, but God help you if they ever came loose or slipped off and started whipping!!! So Sad

If you want to do it the fastest easiest way, make up a hanging gear box with a forward facing output shaft that runs in a carrier bearing hanging down from the front grill guard with a pulley or two mounted on the end of it.

I know from experience, and belt running under a machine that isn't completely covered by shrouds is a PITA, it collects all sorts of twine, grass clippings and weeds. Tough on the belt too.

Best of luck.

11-23-2007, 10:09 Post: 148653
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

EW, I had a farmer tell me he uses a step down PTO set up off of his 1000 RPM pto to drive his 504 equipment that did not need a lot of power so he could run his tractor at low rpms. It would seem if that is made then there may be a gear box made to drop the mid(what is it like 2500 rpm) pto to 540 but if the gear box would handle the rpms could you not use a smaller diameter belt pulley to drive the blades and keep the proper tip speed? If so that would seem to be the lowest cost option. kt

11-23-2007, 10:27 Post: 148655
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I think the mid PTO option would be as much problem as solution.

I may be (probably am? Wink yeah right ) wrong but I seem to remember that aside from the fact the mid PTO is 2,000 rpm, it turns the opposite direction too.

Most front mounted stuff spins the opposite direction to rear mounted stuff.

Best of luck.

11-23-2007, 11:59 Post: 148659
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

LandPride makes an articulating boom side mounted mower that connects to the 3 point. Most State and County Road commission offices have them. Suggest looking at the design and make a cheap imitation using your KK mower.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Thread 148611 Filter by Poster:
DennisCTB 1 | earthwrks 3 | hardwood 1 | JAZAK5 1 | kthompson 1 | leejohn 1 | Murf 4 | yooperpete 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Hydraulic Top Link
+ Digging farm pond
+ Info on Honda 6522 Compact Tractor
+ Magnatrac Crawler Review
+ Farm Bridge over seasonal creek
+ Home made cab
+ Calculating hydraulic tonnage rating
+ Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185
+ Temporary patch to hydraulic line?
+ Price Check Kubota L235

Most Discussion