What is the right way to clean up weed root?: Tractor Projects  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review What is the right way to clean up weed root?: Tractor Projects -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-06-2007, 15:00 Post: 145433
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 What is the right way to clean up weed root?

My land has 16 acres open area needs to prepare for farming. Right now it is full of perennial tall weeds. Try to clean up them and ready for digging ditch.

I have 2 implements now. 2 bottom plow and a 7 1/2 disk harrow. After I try them for a small area, I found it is impossible to clean up all the perennial roots. Disk can chop them down and cut most of upground leaves to small pieces.
But when I plow, all the roots stick on the plow. Then carry lots dirt on it. Within 30 feet, the plow become a sweeper. So Sad

May be a brush hog can do better on cutting above ground parts, but can not do anything with the roots. Even use roundup, I don't think can help on clean up roots.
Any other implement can do it better? a landscape rake?

Thanks,

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

09-06-2007, 15:33 Post: 145434
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

We have this problem when clearing land too.

We use a multiple step approach, first a flail mower to cut down and mulch up anything above ground. That is followed up with a disc-type trash plow to bury as much of the debris as possible.

If that can be done in the late summer / early fall like now there will be very little left come spring, but I should point out, any seeds that were mature when buried will come up with a vengeance in the spring!!!

Best of luck.

09-06-2007, 15:34 Post: 145435
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Sounds like your plow doesn't have a coulter. That is a shank type tool mounting to the plow's frame that has a rotating disc attached to it. It is placed just ahead of the plow where the plow shears. This will cut up above ground pieces like large weeds, corn stalks, etc. giving you a clean cut and shear. Depending on what you are trying to cut up, that coulter disc should be cutting maybe an inch or 2 into the soil. Your plow should be set at a depth of about 6 to 8". With a proper set up and plow speed, the plow should flip the soil over and roots should not be a problem.

What type of vegetation are you plowing under? Is it heavy shrubs or something like that, that won't cut easily!

09-06-2007, 15:50 Post: 145437
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I believe Murf and Yooper have given you good advice. I would suggest disk it one direction the best you can, wait a few days for it to dry and disk it at right angle and give it a few more days and probably a third disking and then plowing if you are having to use the implements you now have. Depending on your disk you may need to weight it down for this. Don't try to disk fast as you want the weight of the disk to keep the disk in the dirt and not just ride over the vegetation as it is more likely at higher speeds. Also play with the angle of the disk blades. More aggressive angle probably will cut better.

There is one other option if it is an option, disk around it very heavy and then burn it. Of course that works only will dried vegetation either due to frost or cutting. kt

09-06-2007, 16:14 Post: 145439
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

Filter by User

Thanks, Murf, yooperpete and KT. The plow do have two cutters ahead of plow. But looks didnot work right. One of them very loose can trun around easy. The depth may be not setup good too. yooperpete, they just tall weeds and some high cattails, not shrubs. I will check see if can get better result. KT, I will try to put some weight on disk too. But cannot burn anything on black dirt.

09-06-2007, 16:40 Post: 145442
kthompson

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

kangroo, I forgot to ask earlier, if your plows are rusty (same for disk blades) the dirt does not slide on it very easy. IF you have some sandy land, you can plow that for the blades to "clean up" or get shinny and thus slick for the dirt to slide. You can also sand the plows and used oil can also help. Based upon my experienced with sticky or wet dirt you need very slick and smooth plows.

Also with bottom plows the way they are set and the speed can affect how well some dirts move and roll. kt

09-06-2007, 16:45 Post: 145443
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Kangaroo, one thing you mentioned brought something to mind.

The type of disks needed for this sort of work are generically called 'trash coulters' and they are either notched or fluted edge to more effectively deal with debris.

I think part of the problem might be the type of material you are trying to plow under also. As I said above, we ALWAYS start by shredding everything down as small as possible with a flail type mower FIRST.

A rotary such as a 'bush hog' style mower will work too, but not as well IMHO.

Best of luck.

09-06-2007, 17:02 Post: 145444
kangaroo31

TP Contributor

Filter by User

KT, the plow is brand new, but dirt is kind of wet. I do need setup the plow well. I don't have depth control on it . Or I have to wait ditch done, dirt dry enough.

Murf, may be I can use my 22" lawn mover cut quarter or half acre and test to see if it works first.

09-06-2007, 17:02 Post: 145445
candoarms

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Kangaroo,

When I first moved into this place, the previous owner had abandoned most of his land and let it grow over with weeds and loads of quack grass. In addition to that mess, he had turned most of his land into a metal scrap yard, which was also covered with weeds, dirt, concrete blocks, and many small trees that had come up from seed.

I found that the best tool available to me was a subsoiler. By using this implement, I was able to find many pieces of metal that were buried in the dirt. It also cut the tree roots, and busted up the quack grass.

You're lucky, in that you don't have any metal or nails to worry about. If you drop the subsoiler into the ground, you'll be able to cut every root and break up the hard pan (severely compacted soil) without any problem.

It would be best to cut the weeds, or burn them, before using the subsoiler, as the steel drop bar will catch quite a bit of vegetation.

The other option (and this is the best method) is to spray the entire place with Round-Up and then let it sit for 14 days, until the weeds turn completely brown. The Round-Up will also kill the roots, making them much easier to cut through. After using Round-Up, you'll be able to burn off the vegetation, or easily disk it under.

A subsoiler is a small implement. It doesn't cover much ground. However, you'll be able to go pretty fast, and you'll be able to skip over 30 inches each pass. This is enough to cut through any substantial roots, so that they won't get caught up on your plow.

And I agree with Yooperpete. A coulter on your plow will be a HUGE benefit to you when breaking up new ground.

I'm not one to go out and spend a pile of money on any project. I have a middle buster, but not a subsoiler. These two implements use an identical frame, making it possible to convert one to the other. But, rather than purchase a subsoiler spike, I decided to go with a Wako Anhydrous knife. This Wako 755 knife cuts through even large roots with ease.

I had to modify my middle buster just a bit, in order to get the Wako knife to seat properly on the frame, but this was a very easy chore, requiring almost no time at all. A good metal cutting blade on a Sawzall will be able to do this job in about 5 minutes.

Here's a picture of the Wako 755 Anhydrous Fertilizer Knife. (Cut and Remove the fertilizer tube prior to installation.)

Note: Only the 755 knife will work on the middle buster, as it mounts on the front of the shank, rather than on the side.

Joel

Link:   Wako 755 Knife 

09-06-2007, 18:24 Post: 145449
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I'd look at the attack angle of the disc axles themselves. Too aggressive, and they will plow and plug up with weedy mud. You might want to adjust them so they're not so aggressive. That might force the weeds into the ground easier and cut those weeds that it can. And you probably don't have to go down deep too far either--maybe 4-6"

Like KT says, I would go in different directions, maybe even a 45 degree angle to the last direction. Give a few days to dry out and do it again. After several times you should have nice level soil.

And a higher ground speed of the disc may help too, but don't go down too deep otherwise it will bog and start to plow and plug up.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Thread 145433 Filter by Poster:
candoarms 4 | earthwrks 2 | hardwood 1 | kangaroo31 7 | kthompson 5 | Murf 2 | yooperpete 2 |

Most Viewed

+ Hydraulic Top Link
+ Digging farm pond
+ Info on Honda 6522 Compact Tractor
+ Magnatrac Crawler Review
+ Farm Bridge over seasonal creek
+ Home made cab
+ Calculating hydraulic tonnage rating
+ Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185
+ Temporary patch to hydraulic line?
+ Price Check Kubota L235

Most Discussion