How Much Property Do You All Have: Tractor Projects  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review How Much Property Do You All Have: Tractor Projects -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-05-2000, 00:00 Post: 11711
Richard

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 How Much Property Do You All Have

I have been reading these posts for a while, wondering if I am the only one who wants a Compact Tractor to use on Five Acres of ground. I was wondering if the webmaster could start a poll or if we could use this thread to tell the rest of us how many acres each of us maintain with what size tractor and the chores you depend on it for. I think this would be most interesting.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Stumble This

01-05-2000, 00:00 Post: 11713
Kruser

How-Much-Property-Do-You-All-Have

Richard... I have about 5 acres, rural central Kansas, as follows: .5 acre nice lawn around house, 2 acres semi-nice (native grass cut short) around yard, 2.5 acre meadow/pasture rough. Had a Ford 8N for several years, just graduated to a NH TC29D. Mostly for mowing, but also a little dirt work (got a loader), typical driveway maintenance, etc, etc. I'd be lost without a little tractor of some kind! Hope others reply... I'd be interested too.

01-05-2000, 00:00 Post: 11715
Nuclear_Weapon7

I own about 40 acres. But i work with my father and our total land holding including leases is about 700 acres. I have 3 tractors 1) Belarus MTZ-50, 1979 2)Massey Ferguson MF240, 1997 and 3)Kobuta B6100, 1988 and I would like to buy, in would but now if i had enough money an other Massey MF240, a Massey MF375, Kobuta B6100 and would replace Belerus MTZ-50 with a new one. Nuclear_Weapon7.
Hyderabad, Sindh,PAKISTAN.

01-06-2000, 00:00 Post: 11720
mario

With 5 acres that need work you are in plenty of need for a good machine. I have 4 + acres that I have big plans for. 1 of the acres is over grown badly, 2 plus are lawn / garden and the remaining are forest or wetland. I have moved in some 350 yards of fill so far to build berms and re landscape the road front on the busy road side. Could not have done it with out a loader. Also the dry lay stone walls are much easier to build with the tractor/loader to fetch and place the 200 -400 pound rocks. I do it mostly alone, and could not do it without help other wise. As for plowing/ tilling, I could tell you that I am centuries ahead of the hoe or fork now. I am starting to prepare the new barn site and hopefully build a nice structure this year. I could not even think how far I am ahead of where I would be without the machine.

01-06-2000, 00:00 Post: 11721
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Richard,
If it makes you feel any better, I have a 4100 which grazes on 2 acres(1 acre clear/1 acre wooded). Everyone laughed at me for wanting "such a big tractor" for our "small" yard. Of course.. its funny how they never offered their services on a saturday to lend a hand. Anyway, We took delivery this summer, so I'm still in the adjustment period. But I can tell you...Going from a 12hp lawn mower to a 20hp compact has been nothing short of wonderful. Everything we do is quicker and easier, not to mention all the things not possible prior to the 4100. Our first major project was spreading 4 dump truck loads of mulch around trees and flower beds. And yes, We used to do this with a wheelbarrow, with one major difference. The loader enabled us to spread about 2 truck loads in one day. A wheelbarrow hardly put a dent in the pile by the end of the day. Hence a 3-4 week ball busting project now takes 2 days of "almost" relaxing effort. I wouldn't go back to a lawn mower for anything....

01-06-2000, 00:00 Post: 11722
DanaT

I'm in north central Kansas & live in a small town,I have 2 lots for my house is & own 3 rental houses,and own a small business. I also do alot of custom work with my tractor.If it don't snow I'll put over 300 hrs a year on my 755. I don't own alot of ground, but I could not do with out it!

01-06-2000, 00:00 Post: 11723
Chris

I have 5 acres and purchased a NH TC25D w/loader to help with landscaping/maintenance. Now that I've got a compact tractor, I couldn't imagine stepping down to a regular garden tractor.

01-06-2000, 00:00 Post: 11724
Scott S.

Well, I think I've got Mike beat: I only have an 1.5 acres, one-half of which is wooded wetlands. I bought a 4100 last fall with a loader and mower deck, pretty much just for the "fun" of it. What took me an hour to mow now takes me 12 minutes, so I've taken to mowing the neighbor's lawn too! Used to take him 3 hours, takes me just one. The loader I use as an expensive (but awesome) wheel barrel. I've taken to buying multiple tons of fill for the back yard (which slopes quite a bit) just to move it around and justify my tractor. Next spring I'm putting in a garden JUST BECAUSE I CAN! I love my tractor. My girlfriend thinks I'm NUTS! She's right.

ps - Come spring, I'm getting a trailer, too, so I can bring my tractor to all my friends' houses and do stuff for them, too. Of course, I'm gonna have to charge 'em! I just try not to let them see the smile on my face.

01-06-2000, 00:00 Post: 11731
By the Brook Farm

I have 15 wooded acres and a JD4600 w/loader and 48 backhoe which is about as big as you can get in a compact tractor. I have used the tractor for clearing a homesite, grading, digging stumps and pulling logs. In the spring will be digging a foundation and septic system, trenching for drainage, doing a lot more grading and dirt moving and trail making. Get a bigger tractor than you think you need, especially if you never had one before. You will find a lot to do with it and unlike most everything else, it is FUN...good luck

01-06-2000, 00:00 Post: 11734
PaulB

10 acres, 7 horses, in Central New York. I have a Kubota B1700, with loader, flexible tine harrow, and back blade only for now. Manure spreader coming in the spring (people I talk to think I am certifiable because I am all atingle about getting a manure spreader - they have yet to learn the joy of tractordom). I use mine to move tons of stuff I used to break my back over, pull out old broken fence posts, put in the new posts (also buying a post hole digger when the $ is available), moving snow (UNBELIEVABLE fun), bringing hay and water to the pastures,carrying tools to the opposite end of the property (1/4 mile I used to have to walk one armful of tools at a time), dragging the riding arena, pulling the neighbors cars out of the mud, dragging trees out of the woods to cut and split, etc,etc. I could not run the farm without it. Unlike several other posters, I am not of the bigger is better school. I like my tractor because it is easy to get into tight spaces, like the barn aisle, it is quiet, easy on fuel, and strong enough to get the work done. Whatever excuse you nead, if you love to do things yourself BUY A TRACTOR!!!
PaulB

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Projects Forum

Thread 11711 Filter by Poster:
Bird Senter 1 | Bob 1 | By the Brook Farm 1 | Carl in VA 1 | Chris 1 | DanaT 1 | dsg 2 | Ed C In Vt 1 | gerard 1 | Greg Erceg 1 | Jeff in NY 1 | JerryGoucher 1 | Jim Bowers 1 | Kim Hartshorn 1 | Kruser 1 | mario 1 | MichaelSnyder 1 | Murf 1 | Nuclear_Weapon7 1 | PaulB 1 | Richard 1 | Rick Seymour 1 | Roger L. 1 | Scott S. 1 | Steve Hansen 1 | Steve in Buffalo NY 1 | Walt 1 | wgb 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Hydraulic Top Link
+ Digging farm pond
+ Info on Honda 6522 Compact Tractor
+ Magnatrac Crawler Review
+ Farm Bridge over seasonal creek
+ Home made cab
+ Calculating hydraulic tonnage rating
+ Cub Cadet Lo-Boy 185
+ Temporary patch to hydraulic line?
+ Price Check Kubota L235

Most Discussion