Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to store Loader Outdoors and stop rust water damage

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-07-26          190771

Thinking about making room for a car in the garage where I store my tractor and implements. Thinking of storing the the loader and grader blade outside and looking for any simple ideas to prevent corrosion and water in the hydraulics. I can store it on an asphalt section of the drive.

I think Hardwood or someone else once recommended spraying them with diesel.

Any ideas experience ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-07-26          190773

I lubed the zerks, put an extra cover over the hyd connectors, oil-sprayed the metal, and covered with a tarp. (Knew it wouldn't make a difference but I felt better.) Preventing condensation is hard because you can't fill every air space. But it's easy to detect water when you're using it, so watch for it and be prepared to change the fluid. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2014-07-28          190780

I put zip lock bags over hydraulic connections and secure with rubber bands on my log splitter. All my attachments are outdoors since I don't have a barn or shed and don't want to pay additional taxes. I have pieces of old sunbrella fabric from my old awning just to cover the tops on some more valuable attachments like rototiller, snowblower. Stuff like rake and backblade are just plain exposed. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-28          190787

I know they don't look the best and may not be allowed there but have you considered the metal carports they sell and set up for you? The begin here less than a $1,000 and can be installed on the dirt. If on dirt here they are not taxed is my understanding as not considered building but portable. I got price on one recently for I think it was 24 by about 50 with 12 foot sides for less than $6,000. A 18 by 20 I think can be bought for about $900. No idea on snow load. kt ....

View my Photos
crunch

2014-07-28          190789

Hello KT, I wold love to have one but there is no good location on my property. Maybe in the future. My wife and I are considering a move to Buffalo, NY to be near son, DIL and granddaughter. They seem to have quite a few homes with metal buildings on the grounds up there. My kind of place! However the number of homes with out-buildings on the property may have more to do with the snow fall :(. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2014-07-29          190792

Dennis:
If you spray them with diesel, you will ruin the paint job. An automobile is better suited to stay outdoors than the implements. If you have to store outdoors, spray all extended (exposed) cylinder shafts with a lubricant that wll hold up over time. Cover it such that rain falls off. Don't wrap it so tightly that moisture is trapped inside. It needs to breathe. In winter months the snow can blow in everywhere and get trapped.

In my opinion keep the car outside and the implements inside. Put your wife's car inside and yours outside if that is an option. Another alternative is to store it inside one of those tent garages. That will keep sun, rain and snow out, but again it needs to have a moisture barrier from beneath. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-07-31          190813

Is it possible to build enough storage for all our stuff? Thin what we do is we build for what we have, get it stored and then wow I have room and more stuff, more storage needed and on and on.

Dennis, how about an enclosed trailer for haul you tractor, fel and such when you need to and use it to store the tractor in (of course sercures so no one just drives off with both)?

Since you first posted this I happened up this company below. Have impressed me. Wish had talked with them three months ago. They will build metal frame only suitable for plywood and shingles. If you watch the video pay attention to the background where they are setting up the canopy, it is a golf course. LOL Richard John there said they ship to many countries. kt ....

Link:   Versatube

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-08-11          190894

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperpete | view 190792
....In my opinion keep the car outside and the implements inside.Put your wife's car inside and yours outside if that is an option.Another alternative is to store it inside one of those tent garages.That will keep sun, rain and snow out, but again it needs to have a moisture barrier from beneath.

The option I was considering was to keep the Tractor in the garage and just detach the loader and leave it outside with the grader blade and maybe the snowblower attachment.

You have a good point on the car being outdoors as cars are outside most of the time anyway.

On the tent buildings my neighbor has had one for years. What would you use to create a vapor barrier in a tent structure? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login