Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is 3 point hitch draft control

View my Photos
jonathanengr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-09          96001

I asked this question in another post on a different topic, and thought it'd be better to give it its own title since I received no responses.

I'm looking at smoothing/grading soil, and was told that draft control would be something great to have for this purpose, and others tell me it would do no good (that it causes implements to hover above the ground). Essentially, I'm trying to find the best way to keep implements from rising off the ground when going over a hill or gouging the ground when I go into a dip. Thus, what is draft control, will it do this, and if not, what is the best way? Just play with the hydraulic lift lever as I slowly move forward?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-09          96005

Draft control will probably not keep your implement from rising as you describe. Draft control is used to do what it says, control the draft of the tractor. Draft control changes the position of the implement to reduce the draft on the tractor, or the amount of "pull".

The best way to keep your implement from raising off the ground is to give the 3pt lots of float, or lower the position past the point that you want the implement at. Takes some time and practice, and take it slow. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-09          96008

Draft control is just what it says! It controls the amount of load that an implement puts on the tractor. For your purposes it should work fine. For proper use, the lift lever should be all the way down and the depth set with the draft lever! There are other differences! The amount of load that it takes to change the draft! I'm not up on the spec's of all the new tractors but I remember going 20 horsepower light on a demo of a 100 horse farm tractor and yet being able to out plow as our tractor only took a 7% load change to monitor it and the competition took just over 20% load change for it to move! ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-09-09          96009

I have an additional question on this topic: How does the flow control to the 3pt factor into controlling the finish or use of a rear or box blade? ....

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-09-09          96011

I'm still not quite following you. First of all, the word "draft" only has a few meanings to me... the first being a small current of wind due to a slightly opened window, and the second being an involuntary call to duty to serve your country. Thus the reason "draft control" isn't too definitive to me.

Secondly, I understand adjusting the depth with my 3ph lift control, but how does draft control control the load on the tractor? Or does draft control reduce the required uplift from the ground via hydraulic control to make an implement "float" above the ground? In other words, think of it this way. My box blade weighs around 700 pounds, and if I drop it down it cuts the ground like a hot knife through butter. With draft control, does it essentially create an adjustable buoyancy of sorts that allows me to maintain a down pressure from my box blade in the range from 0-700 pounds depending on where I set the draft control? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-09          96015

Jon, think of 'draft control' as a form of 'auto-pilot' for the 3pth, you set it to a particular point and the draft control maintains it there.

In ag. use the draft control would be used to, for instance, keep a plow from digging in too far and stopping the tractor. Instead when the load got too great it would automatically raise the 3pth, and the plow with it. The system uses a sensing mechanism connected to the upper link of the 3pth, when you push or pull against the upper link it moves a valve that remotely operates the two lift arms that the implement hangs off.

I'm not sure that you could get the draft control sensitive enough to do what you want but it theory it should, you might need to work at a slower speed to allow it sufficient reaction time that's all.

BTW, draft also means pull, or work, as in draft horses.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-09          96023

BTW, draft also means beer. I'm ready for one right now. It is noon somewhere. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-09          96026

Given Yooper's slant on "draft" it certainly would put "draft control" into a whole new perspective now wouldn't it? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-09          96027

Actually, "Draft Control" is the proper and skilled techniques of managing draft deferments and selection of National Guard or Reserve military units to join. ;O) Just kiddin' guys! Don't tar and feather me. ....

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-09-09          96030

You know--I shouldn't even be allowed to *own* a tractor for overlooking what yooperpete said--the use of the word "draft" with "beer". If anyone should be tarred and feathered you're lookin' at him!

Okay--here's another question. The 3ph lift control on my tractor seems to have a VERY narrow band of operation. I have to lift it almost 1/2-way up before it pulls something off the ground. As a result, "fine tuning" with the 3ph lift is pretty darned difficult. Can this be adjusted? Is there a better way to do this? Also, the control doesn't slide very easily making adjustments pretty jerky. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-09-09          96033

The lift lever function as you described is quite common. Mine does the same thing. It takes about half the movement to get it going, then it goes too far. Generally, I move it far enough to get it started and then push it partially back down to get the correct positioning. A hand valve is usually under the seat that can adjust the speed. If the handle is overly sticky, you may be able to oil or grease the mechanism.

We'll forgive you this one time about the "Draft Beer" since it sounds like you have allot on your mind and are unsure about your skills with the tractor. Just go for it! ....

View my Photos
n88wrl

2004-09-09          96038

I'm learning about 'draft control' myself but I can vouche for the speed valve. I have mine adjusted a bit tighter on my L3130 and it works out great with the bushhog. As I'm approaching something higher (I have some enormous boulders that stick inches above the ground) I lift it up as I'm about to drive my front tires over the obsticle. As the hog just passes over the high spot I lower the lift and the delay sets it down just as the wheel of the hog passes. Makes for a nice easy transition. Getting pretty good at it! ;)

-Brian ....

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-09-09          96042

Yup--I have tinkered with my control valve a bit and it works great. It's just too bad it only works with the 3ph--it'd be nice to have the same control over my bucket. If I could only adjust my 3ph lift lever I'd be in business (well, as far as what I can do with the tractor now!). ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-09          96043

Jon, to get the same adjustment in flow rates to slow down or temper certain actions on the FEL is an easy (and chaeap) modification.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-09          96044

Maybe the Quater Inching valve the B series economy tractors have isn't so bad. I have been disappointed that mine doesn't have position control, but the 1/4" valve, along with the flow control valve, does allow for very good contol over the 3pt.

Flow control valves are available from NortherTool if you want to modify the FEL controls. The regenerative valve on my 7800 is very easy to feather, without the need for any further control.

I'm feeling a little lucky today!:) ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2004-09-09          96066

A couple of other definitions for "draft", to follow someone(race) or something closely allowing them to break the wind, like following closely behind an eighteen wheeler. Another definition is to draw hence the term "drafting", and one more, "draft document" meaning its not in final form, used in business for someone to review and comment.

However, I agree draft and beer are the best use of the term. I will have one or two in about an hour as the wife and I are joining friends at the local steak house. ....

View my Photos
n88wrl

2004-09-09          96068

I thought it was draught? But that's the english spelling. As in, 'what do you have on draught?' ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-09          96070

This brings to mind the age old issue of is it plow or plough???? ;O) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-09          96097

For those of you without a full lift it would tell me that your vertical lift links need to be adjusted to the proper height to be able to obtain the proper lift distance. To modify the lift speed or drop doesn't in any way resemble draft control. You also have to figure as to the exact hitch that you have! Catagory 0-1, 1, 1-2,2, frame to figure the exact attaching adjstments needed. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-10          96114

If the tractor doesn't have draft control, it's not something that's usually feasible to add. This sounds like the typical learning curve for box scrapers. A hydraulic top-link is feasible to add and it plus using a lot of float on the 3ph will help a bunch. The blade angle on a scraper is mostly what determines it's action and the top-link is what adjusts it. What you describe is just the way most 3ph's work and they aren't very good for grading. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-10          96117

Chief, I think it depends on which side of the plow you are standing! Thoughts for this morning, if (I am.) is the shortest sentence is (I do.) the longest? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-10          96122

It has been over 15 years since I said "I Do"........still REALLY glad I did. ;O) ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-10          96128

I don't think I would like to run behind someone who is drinking beer and breaking wind, if you get my drift(or draft). ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-11          96237

Actually, "Draft Control" is the proper and skilled techniques of managing draft deferments and selection of National Guard or Reserve military units to join.
1* Just kiddin' guys! Don't tar and feather me.
Chief
============
1*We could draft up another proposal! ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-19          96840

Ok so now I am confused. Is draft control on 3 pt hitch something you have to purchase extra & install?? If so, were does it mount? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-20          96851

A draft control 3ph would be a replacement rather than an add-on. It also would be expensive and likely not very useful unless a lot of plowing were done.

How they work is pretty simple. Most work from top-link compression. As a plow runs deeper or in hard soil the draft causes the plow to rotate on its lower link pins, which places compression on the top-link. The top-link mount is spring loaded so can move in and out depending on the draft. A feedback linkage actuates a lift spool when it depresses past a point, and a lower spool is actuated when it extends past a point.

Raising a working plow reduces the draft, which extends the top-link mount and the 3ph goes into neutral. The point that actuates a lift is adjustable. Most have a position control as well as a draft control mode. It does take some draft to prevent actuating the lowering spool. In draft control mode, the 3ph won't lift an implement when the tractor is stopped. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-20          96860

Most brands offer it for about 400 to 500 dollars for the option. ....

View my Photos
Toller

2004-09-20          96886

I'm new with a box scraper (JD 970 tractor) and am considering the same sort of problem...I always seem to have the scraper set so high that nothing happens or so low it gouges. The reason I'm doing this is to remove high spots in the drive so putting in low spots is counter-productive.

After considering it, the draft link speed control doesn't seem like it would help as it only speeds or slows the response of the lift, not the incremental changes.

It seems like the only mechanical help would be a top and tilt kit. The other alternatives are just to keep practicing or a full blown grader....my personal choice. I wonder if I could give it to my wife for Christmas.

Eric ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-09-21          96940

I was never able to cut down high spots very well by holding the box off the ground with the 3ph. When the front wheels go over the bump the box lowers and tends to gouge unless the top-link is very extended, in which case it won't cut anything else. The reverse also is true. Unless the 3ph has plenty of float, trying to fill low spots tends to dump the box before the dip as the front wheels go into it.

In the initial work of moving dirt from high places to low I still use the rear cutter sometimes. Other than that I do almost everything with a hydraulic top-link. I don't know if I'd still have a positive attitude about box scrapers if I didn't have a hydraulic top-link. You can't cut, drag and spread on the fly without one. ....

View my Photos
Handson

2020-04-26          199109

This is a great thread,

Since this was posted have the draft control options gotten more useful.

Which tractors offer the best draft control options? ....

View my Photos
fmools

2020-07-17          199495

Draft control will probably not keep your implement from rising as you describe. Draft control is used to do what it says, control the draft of the tractor. Draft control changes the position of the implement to reduce the draft on the tractor, or the amount of "pull".

View my Photos
kthompson

2020-08-07          199565

Draft control does vary between tractor brands and probably even models of the same brand. To me they take some practice to get use to them but worth the effort.

But to leveling land with tractor, hard for me to do with anything on the lift. One of the best implements I have ever bought was a pull box blade. With the distance it sits behind the tractor and with it having wheels behind it riding on grade you just level it produces better results, easier. I also find I can adjust the rear remote control pull blade much finer than on the lift itself.

View my Photos
Murf

2020-08-10          199574

Unfortunately farm implements have never come with very good instructions probably because they're being marketed to people who already know what they are and how to use them.

The advent of the compact utility tractor which is often owned by non-farmers lead to a disconnect in this knowledge.

There are a few tips and tricks and techniques that can make a massive difference in how an implement and or the tractor is on perform. For example one item that I feel every CUT should be equipped with is a hydraulic top link. By lengthening and shortening the upper link you change how that blade engages the ground. In the case of a box blade if you lengthen the upper link the box rotate back onto it's 'heel' in the front cutting edge is raised. If that front blade is raised to just barely above the existing grade as you drive forward any high spots get shaved off in the dirt then spills down into any low areas at the blade clears. The same is true of a rear blade as you angle the blade encounters the ground. If you shorten the upper link the cutting edge gets closer to 90° to the ground surface. This causes the blade to scrape more than dig. If conversely the upper link is lengthened it puts the cutting edge add a shallower angle to the earth which causes it to bite in faster.

Similarly with a rigid upper link and draft control you can adjust with some experimentation the amount of load the box blade creates and thus adjust how much it cuts and how much material gets carried along with it.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Art White

2021-04-23          200271

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8R | view 96009
I have an additional question on this topic:How does the flow control to the 3pt factor into controlling the finish or use of a rear or box blade?

It doesn't really have anything to do with it other then the speed of the raise and lower. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login