Lawyers with Tractors?????: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Lawyers with Tractors?????: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 09-02-2004, 16:04 Post: 95391
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Lawyers with Tractors?????

I sent for a copy of the owner's & part's manuals for a Rhino Box Blade I have at home, just because I'm kinda funny that way, I have manuals for everything except the wife, and I'm not sure I could figure that one out, even WITH a manual. Presuming someone could even WRITE one.

But I digress.

I got an envelope in the mail from Servis-Rhino, a big THICK envelope.

I sat down to pour over both and was amazed at what I saw, or didn't see more particularly.

The 39 page Operator's Manual breaks down as follows;

Two pages of Assembly information.

One page of actual 'how to' operation information.

One page of maintenance information.

THIRTY FIVE pages of Safety Warnings and Bureaucracy!!!!

It does though end with these final words, a thoughtful bit of advice, "Please work, drive, play and live each day with care and concern for your safety and that of your family and fellow citizens.".

Somewhat hesitantly I picked up the Parts Manual. It was 24 pages long. 14 of them were diagrams and parts listings, 4 sets of 3 almost identical pictures covering differing widths of box blades, and 2 pages of the hydraulic cylinder that moves the scarifiers for you.

And darned if it doesn't end with those same sweet words of wisdom.

Those lawyers are such a caring, loving bunch of people. 63 pages of 'information' and 45 of them are self-serving 'please don't sue me' contributions from the lawyers.

This concludes today's lesson in litigation, we now resume our regularly scheduled tractor stuff.

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

09-02-2004, 19:26 Post: 95410
oneace

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

With todays mentality you have to do that with every thing. People are always trying to get some thing for nothing. We live in a shameless world.

09-03-2004, 08:48 Post: 95453
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Ace, I hear what you're saying, but when it gets to the point where there is NO WARRANTY until you sign off on the following statement;

"I have been instructed on the paragraphs above, received and have been instructed in the contents of the Operatorís Manual including safety signs, safety equipment, safe operation, maintenance, and the potential hazards of unauthorized alteration or modification of the product. I have been informed of the warranty provisions and know that the warranty is not in effect until this form is received by Alamo Group."

Then it's time to re-think the wHOLE process and the system that allows it.

BTW, amongst the items you have to certify, BEFORE you get a warranty, is that all nuts & bolts are properly torqued, has anybody ever had a dealer go around with a torque wrench during the PDI and show that the bolts are all torqued to specification?

Of course my favourite was this little tidbit that the DEALER has to sign off on "I have explained that the extended head or boom or retracted boom can contact power lines with resulting electrocution injury or death and that operator is responsible for keeping clear of such hazards." No, really? Wow, what's next, I have put fuel in it every so often?

Everybody knows Murphy's Law, there are actually many of them, # 18 says "Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Best of luck.

09-03-2004, 09:17 Post: 95463
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Back when I was inventing/adapting/servicing medical equipment we never even tried to achieve a foolproof standard. We kept tripping over the nurse proof line.

I was just thinking about frivolous lawsuits the other morning while I was sitting in the hot tub with the outboard motor running (makes more bubbles that that puny pump) and toasting some english muffins for breakfast.

If it wasn't for all those idiots suing at the drop of a hat I wouldn't have to unplug the coffee pot so I can run the toaster out there. I guess there is one benefit. Those new fangled 4 stroke outboards don't blow as much smoke in your morning coffee.

09-03-2004, 10:51 Post: 95477
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Outboard motor in a hot tub??? Are you serious??

You haven't LIVED until you experienced a PTO-driven spa.

Of course you have to bypass that pesky deadman switch, but that's easy. BTW, where do you think theyever came up with such a dumb name for a switch, after all, how can a dead man operate a switch ????? Sheesh.

09-03-2004, 10:59 Post: 95479
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Murf, I'd think in the winter you could plug the discharge of your tub grinder, fill it with hot water, crank her up and invite the whole neighborhood over for a good soak.

09-03-2004, 11:51 Post: 95482
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I thought of that, two problems, first, BIG clean up required, second, it's a LONG way up to climb in.

I thought it would be easier to just throw a couple of those electric BBQ starters in the pool to keep the water hot.

Best of luck.

09-09-2004, 06:45 Post: 95998
kyvette

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Lawyers? There are some excellent lawyers out there, however, a few bad ones have given the whole profession a bad name. I am an engineer and engineers and lawyers mix about like water and oil. I am more than capable of handling the legal issues I deal with, but no, I have to wait on the attorney before proceeding.

The lawyers have set themselves up to control most everything(along with HR), and it all began because a few bad apples take frivolous law suites(i.e. the hot coffee suite) and sometimes win. Therefore everybody has to protect themselves by the legal(here again by lawyers) hold harmless wording. Additionally, a lot of the politicians on the state and federal levels hold law degrees.

I personally know a few good attorneys, and I feel for them because generally, all attorneys have received a negative rap. Sorry about the soap box but a nerve was hit and it could so easily be corrected if it wasn't for the attorneys.

Murf, back to the main issue, how do you rate the Rhino products. I am looking at a Rhino 300 model rear blade, from their web site it appears to be a quality product.

09-10-2004, 23:53 Post: 96215
big bill
2004-09-10 00:00:00

People are sometimes seriously injured by defective products. It is a simple fact and one we all understand. Remember the Chevy Corvair. Ralph Nader got famous by writing about them in his book "Unsafe at Any Speed."
I think it started some of this craziness.
It is also true that people do some really stupid stuff with products. Things the products were not designed to do. They get hurt sometimes. One fellow thought it would be a good idea to trim his hedges with a rotary mower.
He sued and lost. Most of what the average guy hears on the news about this kind of litigation is there because it us unusual. The run of the mill expected results are not newsworthy.
I agree that there are good and bad lawyers. Just like there are good and bad of all professions. I am a lawyer.
I have found that whether people think I am a good lawyer largely depends on which side of the case they happen to be on. Few lawyers are always bad or always good.
I was apalled that a lawyer friend of mine took a case that involved a man who used a rotary mower on his old tractor. This fellow did not know much about tractors so he did not use an override clutch. He got the idea right after being shoved on through a barbed wire fence. He sued. He lost. He should have lost. Get the idea? Occasionally some good comes from litigation. It can expose fraud for example. It can result in dangerous products being recalled. It does result in stupid warnings being placed in booklets and companies trying to avoid failure to warn lawsuits. Your doctor tells you about the risks of your surgery. If he does't you cannot give an informed consent. Would he do it unless a lawyer and a judge and a bunch of our fellow citizens sitting on a jury had repeatedly awarded money to some poor guy who wasn't told about the risks and got injured?
Lawyer's make their arguments to juries. Juries award the money, not other lawyers. Vericts come from juries afther the lawyers have their evidence laid before them. Lawyers usually will not let other lawyers stay on juries. The bad ones will bank on your gullability. Sometimes they get lucky...but only when "We the people..." let them.

09-11-2004, 07:12 Post: 96221
greg_g

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

If Ralph Nader (a lawyer himself, by the way) could have afforded a turbocharged Corvair Monza Spyder back then, I wonder if that book would ever have been written. It was about the closest thing to a Porsche that Detroit had come up with at that point in our automotive history.

Lawyers though, are the closest thing we have to perpetual motion at this point in our legal history. Federal and state legislative bodies are composed primarily of lawyers, who create and implement rules/regulations/laws that can be only understood by MORE lawyers. They grow like weeds, and produce their own fertilizer.

Current statistics indicate there is one lawyer for every six people in America. That ratio may not even include illegals, another "cause" that keeps many lawyers busy; finding (and/or creating) reasons why they shouldn't have to go home.

//greg//

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 95391 Filter by Poster:
Art White 2 | big bill 1 | DRankin 1 | earthwrks 2 | greg_g 1 | kwschumm 1 | kyvette 2 | Murf 6 | oneace 1 | taheide 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control?
+ Howse impliments are junk.
+ Farmi vs. Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag/harrow
+ Rock picker
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader
+ Box Scraper size

Most Discussion