Need advise from the experienced guys for grass stones & Rocks!: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Need advise from the experienced guys for grass stones & Rocks!: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-22-1999, 00:00 Post: 6180
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Need advise from the experienced guys, for grass, stones & Rocks!

Along with many of you, we haven't seen rain in months. To the point that we are in a State(PA) wide emergency for water conservation. Probably a week or two from rationing. Anyway, I have seen yards go brown from draught, but never like this. After losing a few small bushes and trees, I am a little concerned that the grass may also be dead. How long can grass go before dying? I was also told that it can go dormant, like it does in winter. I guess I'm trying to prepare, if we need to re-do our 2 acre yard. And if so, it would be an ideal time to fix the existing ground conditions. One being the ruts and furrows that still remain from the poor prep job done the first time. Secondly, NE PA is known for Shale or Slate rock. Well we have plenty of it!! The big problem with shale is that a stone as big as 4" in diameter, is usually only 1/8"-1/2" thick. Making one of those metal yard/lanscape rakes next to worthless in terms of screening.They just slip right through. We are still picking out pieces of shale, that somehow make their way to the surface,even years later. Without spending a fortune in having screened topsoil trucked in, what is the best way to "clean or remove" rocks and stones from our existing soil? Which happens to be good otherwise. Is there a different implement that is capable of doing this? The only thing I've seen that really works, is one of those big industrial screeners, used to seperate rock into different sizes. Thanks for your help in advance:o)

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

07-22-1999, 00:00 Post: 6183
Keith

Think maybe you are fighting a lost battle with the shale/slate rocks. The reason they "somehow make their way to the surface" is that the permafrost keeps pushing them up. The groundwater freezes, and turns to frost, which expands the ground and pushes rocks upwards. It's sort of like when water freezes in an engine block or a water pipe. Something has to give. Even if you did truck in topsoil, you will have the same problem start all over again in a few years, unless maybe you laid down some kind of heavy duty material (like really heavy guage screen wire) before you spread out the new topsoil. This might stop the slow movement of rocks, moving upwards.

07-22-1999, 00:00 Post: 6185
bo

If your grass is like my grass then it is dormant. First good soaking and it will green up. We have had august conditions in july where the grass turns brown and stays that way until it rains. If you lived in south florida and this condition existed with floritam or st. augustine grasses then I would say it is dead. I am in western NY and your grass is a northern grass just like mine. I guess that you don't get to fix up your yard. Can't address your stone problem as there isn't any shale within 50 miles of here.

07-22-1999, 00:00 Post: 6194
dsg

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

MLS; Hi, how about building your own screen. I did. If you have any questions e-mail me.David

07-23-1999, 00:00 Post: 6216
Ted

As a landscaper I can tell you that your grass is NOT dead, you are right it is dormant. It takes at least 18 months of no water to kill grass, that is because while the top is dormant, the roots are still growing, going deeper looking for sub-soil moisture and nutrients. As for the shale.....sorry to say it but the best tools for removing it is your 2 feet, 2 hands, and a bottle of "Rub A-535" for your back !!! Walk along pick them up and put them in a cart or wagon and drag them away, a never-ending job, just ask any farmer!! Do your self a favor though, while the ground is still dry, rent an aerator and go over the lawn with it, when it rains the water will go to the roots NOT the ditch. Gooid luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 6180 Filter by Poster:
bo 1 | dsg 1 | Keith 1 | MichaelSnyder 1 | Ted 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control?
+ Howse impliments are junk.
+ Farmi vs. Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag/harrow
+ Rock picker
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader