Sand speaders: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Sand speaders: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-14-2002, 20:33 Post: 34580
Dave in Hew Hampshire
2002-01-14 20:33:02
 Sand speaders

This winter has been warm and causing lots of freezing on the driveway. I'm considering a sand spreader to ease my work. The dealer is suggesting a Hurd 750, but based on the literature, the Hurd is really a seed spreader. They do mention in one place that it works well for sand and salt. But I'm not convinced that the Hurd is the answer. Among other things, it looks unstable when not mounted on the tractor. Anyone have any experience and/or advise you would like to share. Thanks.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

01-15-2002, 06:03 Post: 34584
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Sand speaders

Dave How much sanding are you planning to do? If you have a big drive or a big lot it may be much more feasible to build one if you have the means. An old car axle with a spreader plate and a hopper above with a adjustable gate. You can build 3 pt or with a draw bar. The tires drive the plate.

01-15-2002, 07:36 Post: 34590
TomG

TP Contributor

Sand speaders

Harvey's note seems like a pretty good idea. I was wondering about the weight of both the spreader and sand. I suppose that many compacts couldn't carry enough sand plus a spreader on the 3ph to do much of an area at a time. I think questions about stability are probably pretty good ones.

There was a discussion about sand spreaders a year or so back, but I can't remember if it was here. I tried a search on 'sand,' but that wasn't it. Myself, I just try to learn to live with the ice. If I can keep a roughened surface, I like it better than sand. Sand tracks in houses and also creates 'armour plated' layers of ice.

It's been a tough year for ice here. It just hasn't dropped below freezing and stayed there. I sort of expect more ice problems. In the past, I've thought about trying to tear up ice surfaces with box blade scarifiers. I don't have faith the idea would work very well. If I try it, I'll post the results. One of Murf's creative ideas was to make a bar with some spikes that fit a rotary cutter. If done right, you could idle down a drive and the cutter would turn just fast enough to score the ice. There may be some safety issues there.

01-15-2002, 07:41 Post: 34591
donny j
2002-01-15 00:00:00
 Sand speaders

Actually Herd makes salt and sand spreaders as well, based on their seeders. They have a higher agitator and the gearbox is slowed down for salt and sand. You can see the different models at www.easternfarmmachinery.com under salt and sand spreaders. We have 4 of them for our snow removal division and they work well

01-15-2002, 14:00 Post: 34597
Dave in New Hampshire

Sand speaders

Oops... I misspelled Herd, even though their ad was right in front of me. Age has its impact!
Harvey, thanks for the thought on building a spreader. I like challenges like that, but I'm afraid that this sanding season would be long gone before I could build one.
I have about 600 feet of driveway; 500 feet are up hill to return home and single lane wide. 100 feet are pretty flat and expands to 3 lanes in front of the garage. Experience over the three winters living here is that I cannot ignore the ice. If it sets hard, sand seems to be the only solution. I've been doing it by shoveling it out of the bucket, but that's a slow process and I feel my wife could not do it if I were not here. A sand speader seems like a good solution if I can straighten out my thoughts.
I have at NH TC40D. Herd says the model 750 is designed for category 1 3 point hitches and the 750 model number is the weight capacity of the spreader. I think I can sand the driveway a couple of time on one loading of the spreader. Thought?

donnyj, I'll check further on the sand speaders from Herd. Thanks for the web address.

Thanks to all. I appreciate the help. Dave

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 34580 Filter by Poster:
Dave in Hew Hampshire 1 | Dave in New Hampshire 1 | donny j 1 | harvey 1 | TomG 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control?
+ Howse impliments are junk.
+ Farmi vs. Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag/harrow
+ Rock picker
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader
+ Box Scraper size

Most Discussion