Howse impliments are junk.: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Howse impliments are junk.: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 07-22-2001, 11:08 Post: 30294
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Howse impliments are junk.

About a month ago I purchased a couple of HOWSE implements from Northern Tool. I am very disappointed in the quality and I will never buy this brand again. Specifically, I got a boom pole for my 3pt. hitch and a set of carry all forks. It is very clear with the first glance that neither tool was constructed using a jig. All of the parts are misaligned, crooked, out of square, out of plumb and have the appearance that one guy held the pieces together and closed his eyes while the other guy did the welding. There are globs of weld sticking out everywhere and the paint came off when I removed the shipping stickers. The boom pole is at least usable although the pin holes for the center link attachment are misaligned about 20 degrees. The carry all forks are pretty useless as anything I have tried to attach them to becomes as warped as the forks and doesn’t work properly. The kicker is that it would cost more to send the stuff back than the original purchase price. Bottom line: I can't speak to their other products but if the two I have are representative of the quality of Howse products in general, I would avoid this company and shop elsewhere.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

07-22-2001, 11:13 Post: 30295
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

I know, I know, I misspelled implements. I had surgery on my typing finger yesterday and this other finger is not a trained speller and does'nt do some other jobs as well either. Now excuse me while I figure out another way to keep my nose clean.

07-22-2001, 11:43 Post: 30296
kay

Are you saying you got what you paid for? Or that you figure you got less than what you paid for? Would you pay the same again if it were a different brand than Howse? The cheap prices and sight unseen are often a problem when ordering from a catalog. But one would figure that welding an implement correctly takes about the same effort as the way you describe it done. Thanks for your input.

07-22-2001, 14:52 Post: 30300
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

You have hit the nail on the head. It is a great and eternal truth that I should have learned by now. I got exactly what I paid for. Cheap stuff is cheap stuff. I have a set of Gearmore carryall forks on order from my tractor dealer. If the quality is the same as my other gearmore implements it should serve well. The howse item was $60.00 plus shipping and the gearmore product is $100.00 delivered. I certainly didn't save anything did I?

07-23-2001, 18:39 Post: 30317
Glenn

I had somewhat the same feeling a few months ago when I was shopping for a box blade. However, one of our local dealers had several Howse box blades and when I looked them over I found one that had been assembled rather well; in other words, the parts were aligned well and the welding was acceptable--not great, but acceptable. About two months ago when I was at the same dealer I noticed a new Howse boxblade that had just been unloaded and I could hardly believe what I saw. The assembly and welding were superb! I guess the moral here (if there is one) is to never buy a Howse product without examining it first. Their quality control problems must be a recent thing because older Howse products that I've seen have looked good.

07-25-2001, 07:37 Post: 30346
BillBass

After reading these posts, I had to go look at my Howse 6' rotary cutter. The welds on it are good long smooth beads with good penetration. The cutter cuts 2-3' tall grass and small brush and saplings with no problem. This one is about a year old. Apparently their quality varies among products.

07-25-2001, 09:45 Post: 30353
victor colby

"the sweetness of cheap prices is forgotton sooner than the bitterness of poor quality". been there,done that on howse implements. i will never go that way again. i had a bush hog gearbox come loose on the very first mowing job with it. some idiot apparently did not take the time to properly tighten the mounting bolts.

07-25-2001, 14:51 Post: 30365
Murf

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

As a youngster growing up on our family farm (I'm the ninth generation, so we've sort of got the hang of most of it by now) I was taught that only a VERY wealthy man can afford to buy junk, the rest of us can only afford to buy something once, so we have to be careful to buy a quality product that will last. Best of luck.

03-07-2009, 18:39 Post: 160868
guilberts2

I bought a howse bush hog a couple of years ago. I had an international brand for 10years with no problems. Every time I have cut with the Howse the shaft going into the gear box has broke into. the first time it was under warranty. The second time the dealer covered it, but I only got the shaft and I had to put it in the gearbox at my expense. This is the third time it has broken. I am very frustrated. I have two shear bolts as soft as you can buy and a slip clutch that is as loose as you can get without the bolts coming out. To me this is junk that I paid 1300 dollars for.

03-07-2009, 19:06 Post: 160869
earthwrks

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Welcome Guilbert to the board. You're a little late coming to the party by about 8 years Smile Luckily all of us from back then are still around--typically they're not.

King Kutter in my opinion rates lower than Howse. BUT---I do have to say my KK 5' rotary cutter is still holding up after 8 years. I really abuse it--I mulch-in-place 3-4" trees with it no problem. The deck is stress cracked, but the gear box (which I hear KK does not make) has never failed. I've never serviced it whatsoever. And I run a 7/16" Grade 8 bolt as a shear pin! Anything less shears instantly.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 30294 Filter by Poster:
1967vett 1 | auerbach 1 | BillBass 1 | curtsaket 1 | DRankin 3 | earthwrks 2 | Glenn 1 | guilberts2 1 | kay 1 | kthompson 1 | Murf 1 | shifthead 1 | victor colby 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control?
+ Howse impliments are junk.
+ Farmi vs. Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag/harrow
+ Rock picker
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader
+ Box Scraper size

Most Discussion