Overseeding: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Overseeding: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index
New As Posted | Active Subjects

www.emerichsales.com - New & Used Equipment
          View Tractors For Sale!

www.partsbynet.com - Lawn and Garden Equipment Parts

Bernardsville Landscape Lighting
Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-18-2001, 12:35 Post: 24341
Bob Cambray

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Overseeding

I would like to overseed this spring without tearing up my existing lawn. I also have a sprinkler system so I need to be cvareful not to damage the heads. What type of rear implement would you recommend, any suggestions would be greatly appreciatedThanks Bob C

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us | Technorati | Furl | Stumble This

02-19-2001, 05:39 Post: 24360
Ted Kennedy

Overseeding

Bob, there are some questions that need to be answered first, and they are; How much lawn are we talking about? What condition is it in now? Where are you located (Zone)? What are your soil conditions (PH, sand or clay, etc.)? I usually don't put in lawns in my business but have done enough to advise you to: power de-thatch the entire lawn, and roll an aerator (there are draft type for tractor towing) over the entire lawn after you have clearly flagged the spray heads. De-thatch and aerate in two directions, diagonally. I also advise you to top dress the problem areas with about an inch to two inches of PH balanced 30% sand content fine screened top soil before you seed. If your soil is hard packed in the problem areas, till in some cow dung or other clean organic matter, check the PH, and then top dress. If you have a large lawn, use a 3pt hitch pto powered spreader to seed. Use only premium seed that is right for your sun and soil conditions, hydroseeding is also a good way to go. I then lightly hand rake over the seeding and roll out using a water filled roller. We use salt marsh hay to cover the seeded area because it has little or no weed seeds normally found in lawns. Some guys like to use a starter fertilizer, I don't. Water, water, water. Water in the AM before sunrise for at least 3/4 hour, again at noon, and again at sunset. Soak, don't choke. This is critical to establishing and maintaining the seedlings. Finally, you might like to talk with the guys who do golf course greens maintenance in your area, these guys should have a wealth of knowledge and experience. A big lawn is a lot of work, good luck.

02-21-2001, 08:15 Post: 24474
Dogman

Overseeding

Bob, I am no expert on grass but do get high remarks for my lawn from my peers.Anyway I ran into the same thing abou two years ago and I went and rented a power takeoff overseeder..This is a 3 pt seeder that "slices" about an inch then drops seed and or fertilizer in the 'slits".Worked like a charm !The key is get the seed in the ground with seed to soil contact..But of course you need to kill the weeds first. Then as Ted says...Water, water, water.This is the most important ingredient
'

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 24341 Filter by Poster:
Bob Cambray 1 | Dogman 1 | Ted Kennedy 1 |

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control?
+ Howse impliments are junk.
+ Farmi vs. Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag/harrow
+ Rock picker
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader