Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cordwood Saw or Buzz Saw project

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-09-21          188009

After many days of planning, measuring, cutting and welding, I'm finally the proud new owner of my own homemade cordwood saw. It runs like a top, and I can't wait to put it into service.

Shields and guards will be made and installed, then the entire saw will be disassembled for painting. I'll post another photo of the finished project once I get it completely finished.

The blade is 30" in diameter. It will cut a log 13 inches in diameter in less than 3 seconds. It is powered by my Kubota B2920, using the 1000 rpm PTO at about 2/3 throttle, for a blade rpm of 1300 revs per minute.

More photos to come.

Joel

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-09-21          188010

Cordwood Saw project ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Cordwood Saw or Buzz Saw project

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-09-21          188011

Picture Link

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-09-21          188012

Picture Link

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-09-22          188013

Joel;

Nice job on the Buzz saw. I haven't been since I was in my twenties, from the time I was big enough to help I was always the "Catcher" either tossing the cut wood into the window of the wood shed or into a wagon. I must have been pretty good at catching, it seemed every neighbor would hire me to catch. One older gent I used to catch for had a strap around his waist connected to the table to rock the table back so he could use both hands to move the log, old boards, limbs or anything that would burn over. He had another kid drag the logs to the saw for him, he never let the saw run empty.
Above all be careful, I can remember and was told of some nasty accidents with buzz saws. Of all the saws I was around I don't remember even one with any kind of a blade guard.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-09-22          188015

Frank,

Great to hear from you, my friend. I hope all is well with you.

I know the buzz saw is an old idea, dating back to the days of the first tractors, and hit-and-miss engines, but all of my studies suggest that it cuts FAR faster than any chainsaw, and a whole lot less work.

I tried the saw out yesterday, running it at about 1300 rpm, and it cut clean through a 13 inch, green ash log in about 3 seconds. With a good sharp blade, such as the one I have on there, the tractor doesn't even know it's working.

By the way, the picture shows my grandson, Kaden, who will be serving as my catcher. I won't let him anywhere near this saw, while in operation, until I get the shields and guards in place.

The number one rule with one of these saws is to always keep both hands on the table side of the blade. Never Never reach across the blade path.

Thanks for the comments, and I'm glad it brings back a lot of good memories for you.

Have a great day, my friend.

Joel ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-09-22          188016

Joel;

I still had one of the blades off the old "Family Buzz Saw" that followed me from place to place as we moved a number of times before our last auction on Labor Day when someone bought it. I don't really know who the saw belonged to but my uncles seemed to have it a good bit of the time too, I'd guess it probably rusted to dust in somebody's grove. My Dad and all the other uncles who used the saw had "H" Farmalls that the saw mounted on the front of and ran off the "H" belt pulley. I sold "Dad's H'" on our auction on labor Day, it was a 1948 and had only been overhauled once in it's life and still ran good.
Dad always did buy some coal when winter came to stay but we only burned the coal during really cold weather so the fire would last all night, the wood would go out before morning.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2013-09-23          188017

Nice project. They worked great for limb wood up to 4 maybe 5 inch stuff. Bigger stuff required 2 stout men to lift and carry wood to saw. Anything bigger than buzz saw wood was usually reserved for lumber or a 2 man bucking saw.
Back in the day if you could buy a chain saw it weighed a lot. Haven't seen a old saw in years really do not have any fond memories to want to look. I was barely big enough to lift it.
Good luck with your project. Enjoy. Safety is paramount I have seen stick wood thrown hard and far when something binds or catches.

Above all else be safe and have lots of respect for it. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2013-09-24          188024

The last buzz saw I saw sits along the driveway of a farm yard as a yard ornament with flowers planted around it.
The last chainsaw I had was a Sthil, I don't know how much it weighed but it was light and one of their smaller saws, the greatest part about it was it started with one or two pulls.
Now on the other side of my chainsaw memory page is a big heavy two man saw with a handle on the out end of a blade that looked four feet long when I was a kid. The engine end had two handles that looked like a bicycle handlebar I don't know who owned the thing or what brand it was but I remember my dad and uncle struggling with that monster thing "IF" they got it started. The guy on the engine end was in a cloud of blue smoke and wood chips. I think a two man crosscut saw and an axe would have been faster and lots easier on the nerves.

Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login